Analysis 2016 Draft...

Who do you realistically want @13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So at this stage we know these players are all invitees to Draft night in Sydney...

Ainsworth
Battle
Berry
Bowes
Brodie
Cumming
English
Florent
Galluci
Hayward
Logue
McCluggage
McGrath
Perryman
Petrevski-Seton
Scrimshaw
Setterfield
Simpkin
Taranto

Imagine how Darren or Andrew jarman would have gone at the combine the beep test would have had to be cancelled for taking too long

DJ would have stopped to have a pie and a beer during the test.:$

Very strong interest in McInerney from several clubs. Adelaide one of several in the mix.

Thanks for posting in here. You are very well respected in your field of expertise. We have occasionally chatted in the past, I have enjoyed reading your thoughts on last few years drafts.

:thumbsu:

Sounds like, if we do bid, 13 will be the go
This could be an interesting game of chess .....We could bid on both Perryman and Cumming, but which one first?

Bid Cumming ......if GWS match, Bid Perryman ......will GWS match both, or do they pass on Cumming on the first bid to take Perryman ....or do they take Cumming and pass on Perryman ????

Last edited:
This is ridiculous

I know two SA boys whom spoke with every AFL club that obviously means every club has interest in them on this theory
Exactly .....it's just guesswork based on how many family visits and chinese whispers ........gee the Cedric Cox hype disappeared as quickly as it came :rolleyes:

Cumming has awesome skill set , speed and agility but isn't mentally strong from the way he plays - very interesting ! Introverted and lacks confidence
Sorry haven't heard this .....did read from Quigley that he struggled in the step up game all-stars against better competition

Given he plays with North Adelaide, i assume we've seen quite a bit of him?

Brett Anderson made the point clubs are being far more secretive, so a lot of these predictions could be way off.
More like "will be way off" .......there's just too small a differences between the top 20 .....even the top 2 aren't any better than #8 & #9 as an example

Cumming is a wing / half back ... Ditto Cox

They are natural outside mids being used as half backs , a bit like Brodie Smith in that regard
Nope .....He's a dead set midfielder if ever i've seen one .......and yes i know the barbs will come at me for that comment

Why i say that is his agility in close and ability with head over the ball to know where players are .....watch the games and he's definitely not a straight line runner .....as i said reminds a lot of a young Ryan Griffen

Now i will be corrected ....but IIRC Griffen when playing for South Adelaide was playing off a Half Back Flank

Jeff how would you describe Griffen ......inside / out .....pure outside (which hardly exists now)? .....or outside / in ?

I really hate using 1st Round picks on guys that aren't really adept at winning their own ball, you can have all the upside you like but if they can't win their own ball consistently leave me out.
You haven't watched Cumming then, if that's your view of him ......:p

#1 rule the Crows have in their first round draft pick is .....competitive spirit & winning your own ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope .....He's a dead set midfielder if ever i've seen one .......and yes i know the barbs will come at me for that comment

Why i say that is his agility in close and ability with head over the ball to know where players are .....watch the games and he's definitely not a straight line runner .....as i said reminds a lot of a young Ryan Griffen

Now i will be corrected ....but IIRC Griffen when playing for South Adelaide was playing off a Half Back Flank

Jeff how would you describe Griffen ......inside / out .....pure outside (which hardly exists now)? .....or outside / in ?
I've actually thought he looks like Griffen before with ball in hand WW. My concern is he doesn't win contests like Griffen

Ball in hand he's a lovely player , one of the best in this draft . Right now he's an outside player , and they are hard to convert IMO . I've seen some of his stats and they are largely skewed toward uncontested possessions - even more so than James Aish

Now it's possible that this is due to roles given by coaches but I think it's also his game style at this stage

If he could win more of his own ball he'd end up one of the better players of this draft

Sorry haven't heard this .....did read from Quigley that he struggled in the step up game all-stars against better competition

Given he plays with North Adelaide, i assume we've seen quite a bit of him?
2 U18 roosters games and maybe 1x reserves - didn't see any of these. I saw him play for NSW X 2 in U18s champs and giants academy X 2 live as well as 1x NEAFL game for Giants .

The most possessions he had in a game out of those that I saw was 15

For me , this is a highly speculative pick

I've actually thought he looks like Griffen before with ball in hand WW. My concern is he doesn't win contests like Griffen

Ball in hand he's a lovely player , one of the best in this draft . Right now he's an outside player , and they are hard to convert IMO . I've seen some of his stats and they are largely skewed toward uncontested possessions - even more so than James Aish

Now it's possible that this is due to roles given by coaches but I think it's also his game style at this stage

If he could win more of his own ball he'd end up one of the better players of this draft
I don't disagree with what you're saying ......but have a look at Dangerfields U18 highlight video and you'd also think he was an outside player .....team was giving him the ball and he would charge off using his pace

I also think that if he's playing predominantly HB and is quick and good by foot, then it's similar to how Wigg was used in the Championships .....and they do look to be getting more uncontested possessions

There's a couple of instances where in tight he handles the situation great .......and i believe that the club "will" have confidence in his ball getting ability, competitiveness, and mental toughness, IF they are considering to pick him

2 U18 roosters games and maybe 1x reserves - didn't see any of these. I saw him play for NSW X 2 in U18s champs and giants academy X 2 live as well as 1x NEAFL game for Giants .

The most possessions he had in a game out of those that I saw was 15

For me , this is a highly speculative pick
Well if The Sloane Ranger says Emma Quayle says Sydney are going to bid on Cumming at #9 .......then there are clubs disagreeing with your view of him ;)

Emma Quayle has Sydney bidding for Cumming at pick 10 and GWS matching the bid

Emma also has is selecting Hayward with our first selection
That may mean then that GWS won't match Perryman if we bid .......or it certainly would make Sproule open season

Well if The Sloane Ranger says Emma Quayle says Sydney are going to bid on Cumming at #9 .......then there are clubs disagreeing with your view of him ;)
certainly are and I rate both Sydney and Adelaide's recruiting and the way they are happy to go against the grain

For this reason I reserve judgement because the kid has some nice traits for sure ... Be better if we had 2 picks , I'd be all for taking a slightly bigger risk

Emma Quayle has GWS also matching a Pennyman bid
This off her article .....never seen her as vague on the top 10 the night before either?

QUOTE Emma Quayle, The age
The Swans are among a handful of clubs who could bid for another Giants Academy player - Isaac Cumming - who received a late invitation to attend the draft in Sydney.

Should the Swans bid at pick 9 for Cumming - beating Adelaide, Brisbane and Port Adelaide in the teens - there is a chance the Giants will choose not to match the bid.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...eys-to-fridays-afl-draft-20161124-gswzpu.html

All players chosen in the top 10 will be called up onto stage at the Hordern Pavilion in Sydney to be presented with a guernsey by their new coach, adding intrigue to Cumming's late call-up.

GWS will match bids for midfielder Harry Perryman, who could be bid on by North Melbourne, the Crows or the Power in the teens.

Matching bids for all three players so early in the draft would likely mean going into some points deficit for next year.

certainly are and I rate both Sydney and Adelaide's recruiting and the way they are happy to go against the grain

For this reason I reserve judgement because the kid has some nice traits for sure ... Be better if we had 2 picks , I'd be all for taking a slightly bigger risk
I agree and have said as such.

Back