Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

After an unsuccessful bid on Isaac Cumming, Swans select smart forward Will Hayward with pick 21.

186cm/76kg
26 October 1998
Medium forward

AFL.com.au Bio:
"The medium-sized forward does his best work inside the forward 50. Kicked eight goals in four games for South Australia at the NAB Under-18 AFL Championships. Enjoyed a stellar season with North Adelaide, booting 33 majors in nine games in the SANFL under-18 competition. Provides good tackling pressure, is quick off the mark and reads the play really well."

Last edited:
Welcome! Pleased you could join us!!

Liked what I saw on youtube :)

PS: How old is he? Cause if he is still only 17-18 he probably hasn't finished growing yet... maybe he'll add another 5-6 cms? maybe??

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Pretty happy with this pick. Our best pick of the night imo. Obviously a very talented natural forward. I Wonder how we will fit in Buddy, Dawson and Hayward all in the same team though?

Potentially we lose Dawson or Hayward due to lack of opportunity.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Pretty happy with this pick. Our best pick of the night imo. Obviously a very talented natural forward. I Wonder how we will fit in Buddy, Dawson and Hayward all in the same team though?

Potentially we lose Dawson or Hayward due to lack of opportunity.

Rose's papers look to be stamped too.

Great selection. We have lost a few goal scoring avenues from last year (Titch, Mcglynn, XR) and Hayward seems like a person that could come in and play a vital role.

Has a thumping kick for a young kid and reads the play well. I like the fact that he made 2nd and 3rd efforts and from the footage when he couldn't Mark it brought the ball to ground.

I didn't want him with 9, stoked with him @ 19 (pre academy bids)

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Looks like an awesome get, particularly at 19. Has natural footy ability and smarts, can take a mark and also the follow up efforts were great to see. I have a really good feeling about this guy

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Looks like an awesome get, particularly at 19. Has natural footy ability and smarts, can take a mark and also the follow up efforts were great to see. I have a really good feeling about this guy

We are really building a list of small to medium forwards as we have Papley, Dawson and now Hayward. If all three make it then it is going to be an interesting forward setup.

Back