Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #82 - Ben Davis

Doobie Doedee

Senior List
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hamish Ogilvie says: "We debated whether we'd have the last pick. We thought we'd probably finish at four but we had Benny pretty high on our list so we made a quick decision our table let's keep going. Ben's had some really high-level performances this year with the Allies and New South Wales … we just thought he was too good not to keep going and use the extra pick."

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Hamish Ogilvie says: "We debated whether we'd have the last pick. We thought we'd probably finish at four but we had Benny pretty high on our list so we made a quick decision our table let's keep going. Ben's had some really high-level performances this year with the Allies and New South Wales … we just thought he was too good not to keep going and use the extra pick."

So we were going to pass on two spots

Interesting

641284-20130125-ben-davis.jpg

Maroubra's Ben Davis takes to the skies with Flying Boomerangs to play footy in South Africa

The 15-year-old is a member of the Flying Boomerangs, a personal development and leadership program for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players aged 14 to 15 years.

Selected from the 2012 AFL KickStart under-15 championships, the squad of 25 players flew to South Africa for two weeks to play two matches against teams there.

The Maroubra Saints youngster admitted this is the biggest achievement of his short sporting career and he was over the moon to be a part of it.

"To make this team is even better. It's one of the best things to ever happen to me in my footy career. To be selected for a team like this means my training and skills are being rewarded."

Davis dreams of becoming a professional AFL player and has been working towards that goal as a member of the Sydney Swans Academy, an elite AFL development program for the past three years.

JimmyTheScoop

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
I find it interesting the draft central compared Ben to Mitch McGovern and Poholke to Dougsie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
any relation to Nick Davis?...
No. His brother Abe played for Sydney, but he was delisted at the end of this year without having played a game for them.

Since he's from the Swans academy I wonder if O'Keefe had any contacts back in Sydney that would have given us a bit more info about the kid which led to us picking him?

Captain Furious

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
What's the knock on this lad? He's quick, agile, skilful, appears to be composed, good height. Struggling to pick what's not to like about him that would make him slide to pick 82... not complaining though! :p
Lot of really good players totally missed out. Just a very even draft with great depth. Has some foot injuries which may have worried some clubs.

fairfooty

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2010
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Chelsea
What's the knock on this lad? He's quick, agile, skilful, appears to be composed, good height. Struggling to pick what's not to like about him that would make him slide to pick 82... not complaining though! :p

Mel too - and the height and composure probably puts him ahead of Milera and maybe Cameron at the same stage. So I'm not getting it either. Welcome Ben and really looking forward to your debut in a few years time.

fairfooty

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2010
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Chelsea
Thanks Bicks - thats a good read. Particularly like:

He studied up on the Crows when he realised he was a chance to join the Club.

“I started doing my research so I do know a fair bit about the Crows now!” he said.

“At the start of the year I knew the players and stuff, but it wasn’t until recently that I dove in a bit deeper and made sure I knew a bit more than just their names!

“I learned that I’ll be coached by (SANFL coach) Ryan O’Keefe next season ... just little things like that, that I have to look forward to.”

Suggests he has a good head on his shoulders and should hopefully cope with living away from home - possibly for the fist time?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
What is the rationale for this? I can see the merit of leaving one spot open, and having the nominated rookie, etc. But two spots? I wasn't even aware you were allowed to.

Or perhaps our plan was always to use a PSD selection?
I was wondering the same thing. I can understand the rationale for going one-short - most of the clubs have gone that way this year. Four clubs have gone two short, mostly due to salary cap pressure - Port, GWS, Sydney. I think Freo did it because they had so many list positions to fill, and they just didn't see anyone worth filling them at the very end of the draft. I have no idea why Adelaide would have been considering it.

Back