Food, Drink & Dining Out What did you cook for dinner last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

need some advice.

cooking beef brisket for the first time and just want some guidelines on duration etc.

2.3kg
being cooked in oven
going to use dry rub.

Been advised to wrap in foil and cook for around 3.5-4 hours at around 170 degrees ?

need some advice.

cooking beef brisket for the first time and just want some guidelines on duration etc.

2.3kg
being cooked in oven
going to use dry rub.

Been advised to wrap in foil and cook for around 3.5-4 hours at around 170 degrees ?
Yeah I usually use a dry rub. My fav (& easiest) is equal measures of (all powdered): Cumin, Cayene, Smoked Paprika, Corriander, Chilli, Garlic, Onion, Celery Salt.

I use this as the base rub and add or lessen what I feel like. Usually I up the Cayene & Cumin & reduce the Celery Salt. Sometimes I add tumeric or cloves.

I usually just dry rub it, cling wrap it & refrigerate it overnight. Then get it out an hr or so before you want to cook it. I usually do mine on a raised rack in tray with a small amount of liquid (usually a beer) underneath to catch the drippings & make a sauce.

Under that I sometimes put a tray of water to help keep the moisture levels up so it doesn't completely dry out. With a good brisket you should have a good % of fat to keep it moist tho, it's a good backup tho, just a bit of extra work to keep the water level topped up.

The other option (the opposite to using a water bath) is to use dry heat (coals etc), maybe even a smokebox if u wish. To impart more of a smoked flavour. I've done a completely dry rubbed brisket & a small smokebox with apple & hickory wood which worked well. Very difficult to perfect first try tho.

I'll usually let it go between 80-100 degrees for 8-11 hours (depending on size of cut etc) then give it a blast right at the end to get some bark on it.

Then - this is the important bit... LET IT REST before getting stuck into it.

If you wanted it in the "pulled" style (for things like burgers or tacos) then you want to get it out just as it's breaking down, let rest a bit & using some forks tear the "threads" of meat out. I'd chuck the pulled meat into the sauce/drippings you have and put it back in for while (half hr perhaps - depending on the amount of sauce you have & how over/under the pulled meat is).

It's mostly guess work & knowing your oven/BBQ. The same cut/size etc could vary time & temp depending on the oven/BBQ. Keep your eyes on it & put some love into it.

If it doesn't work the way you wanted then try again next time & re-fine your technique until you can nail it. Practice makes perfect! Good luck.

Last edited:
Yeah I usually use a dry rub. My fav (& easiest) is equal measures of (all powdered): Cumin, Cayene, Smoked Paprika, Corriander, Chilli, Garlic, Onion, Celery Salt.

I use this as the base rub and add or lessen what I feel like. Usually I up the Cayene & Cumin & reduce the Celery Salt. Sometimes I add tumeric or cloves.

I usually just dry rub it, cling wrap it & refrigerate it overnight. Then get it out an hr or so before you want to cook it. I usually do mine on a raised rack in tray with a small amount of liquid (usually a beer) underneath to catch the drippings & make a sauce.

Under that I sometimes put a tray of water to help keep the moisture levels up so it doesn't completely dry out. With a good brisket you should have a good % of fat to keep it moist tho, it's a good backup tho, just a bit of extra work to keep the water level topped up.

The other option (the opposite to using a water bath) is to use dry heat (coals etc), maybe even a smokebox if u wish. To impart more of a smoked flavour. I've done a completely dry rubbed brisket & a small smokebox with apple & hickory wood which worked well. Very difficult to perfect first try tho.

I'll usually let it go between 80-100 degrees for 8-11 hours (depending on size of cut etc) then give it a blast right at the end to get some bark on it.

Then - this is the important bit... LET IT REST before getting stuck into it.

If you wanted it in the "pulled" style (for things like burgers or tacos) then you want to get it out just as it's breaking down, let rest a bit & using some forks tear the "threads" of meat out. I'd chuck the pulled meat into the sauce/drippings you have and put it back in for while (half hr perhaps - depending on the amount of sauce you have & how over/under the pulled meat is).

It's mostly guess work & knowing your oven/BBQ. The same cut/size etc could vary time & temp depending on the oven/BBQ. Keep your eyes on it & put some love into it.

If it doesn't work the way you wanted then try again next time & re-fine your technique until you can nail it. Practice makes perfect! Good luck.

Thanks mate, good advice!

in the end It was 170 degrees for around 5 hours. meat was wrapped in foil.

when I took it out the mean was falling apart easily so we went with the "pulled" effect. tasted good but I couldn't really taste any of the rub flavours which was annoying.

had plenty of crispy bits which was good. had to change foil mid way cause it was leaking and juices were burning on the pan.

do you wrap yours in foil ?

Thanks mate, good advice!

in the end It was 170 degrees for around 5 hours. meat was wrapped in foil.

when I took it out the mean was falling apart easily so we went with the "pulled" effect. tasted good but I couldn't really taste any of the rub flavours which was annoying.

had plenty of crispy bits which was good. had to change foil mid way cause it was leaking and juices were burning on the pan.

do you wrap yours in foil ?
Awesome news!

Flavourwise, I rub mine then wrap it (fairly tightly) & refrigerate overnight to make sure the rub penetrates the meat a bit. The foil would be there to keep in the flavour & to keep it moist due the the highish temp (170 is fairly high for a slow cook). So you probably lost a bit of the flavour if the foil wasn't completely enclosed & if u had to change it halfway then you would have released some good Juices/steam etc = Flavour.

But sounds like it worked well none-the-less so great work!! :thumbsu:

No I don't use foil. I usually have 2 trays. The top tray has the meat raised on a rack above some liquid (beer) and I want the juices/fat to drip into the beer/liquid underneath to make sauce. I also have a tray on a seperate oven rack below this one filled with water to keep moisture in the oven & hopefully preventing the meat from drying out too much.

I also cook mine at a much lower temprature (80 degrees .v. 170) so the foil would be a liitle bit about creating a "pressure cooker" type enviromemt around the meat at that higher temp to speed up the cooking with a high moisture method (i.e. it would steam itself in it's own fat/juices - YUM!). My method doesn't do that, it uses a slower/lower temp technique to more gently cook the meat instead.

Both work, different pros/cons but sounds like your method worked well. Next time if you make sure it's wrapped well & maybe put a small amount of liquid in the tray to catch the juices (so it doesn't burn) then I reckon you'll be on an absolute winner mate!!

137930b2e07f509fb1c02bdf39030b18.jpg
laksa

s**t that image is a bit big!
decent size list of ingredients, but super simple to make

recipe as follows

1 x stock cube (chicken or veg)
1 x half butternut pumpkin
2 x clove garlic
1 x thumb sized piece of ginger
1 x fresh red chilli
1 x tsp tumeric
1/2 bunch asian shallots (not french!)
1 x tbsp peanut butter
1/2 bunch fresh corriander
1 x tbsp sesame oil
1 x tbsp soy sauce
1 x tbsp fish sauce

1 x tin coconut milk
1 x lime
1 x bag rice noodles
1 x portion of tofu (if you need it)
1 x portion of some meat if you need. I used some left over roast chicken and frozen uncooked prawns.

method
1. boil around 1L of water in a kettle and put it in the pot you're going to use with a stock cube.

2. use a food processor to grate the pumpkin finely, and chuck that in the water as well.

3. use the food processor again, but with the chopping blade. chuck in all the italic ingredients and make a paste, once its blended well dump that paste in the pot with the pumpkin and stock. (edit - just use the corriander stalks for this part - save the leaves for garnish and future cooking)

4. once thats cooked for a couple mins, put in your coconut oil, give it a stir. Chuck in any meat you're going to use (I used chicken and prawns).then the rice noodles. noodles will take about 4-5 mins to soften.

5. serve that bad boy up with some lime wedges on the side and you're done. Should take you around 25 mins first go with all the prep, i nailed it in around 15mins last night

s**t that image is a bit big!
decent size list of ingredients, but super simple to make

recipe as follows

1 x stock cube (chicken or veg)
1 x half butternut pumpkin
2 x clove garlic
1 x thumb sized piece of ginger
1 x fresh red chilli
1 x tsp tumeric
1/2 bunch asian shallots (not french!)
1 x tbsp peanut butter
1/2 bunch fresh corriander
1 x tbsp sesame oil
1 x tbsp soy sauce
1 x tbsp fish sauce

1 x tin coconut milk
1 x lime
1 x bag rice noodles
1 x portion of tofu (if you need it)
1 x portion of some meat if you need. I used some left over roast chicken and frozen uncooked prawns.

method
1. boil around 1L of water in a kettle and put it in the pot you're going to use with a stock cube.

2. use a food processor to grate the pumpkin finely, and chuck that in the water as well.

3. use the food processor again, but with the chopping blade. chuck in all the italic ingredients and make a paste, once its blended well dump that paste in the pot with the pumpkin and stock. (edit - just use the corriander stalks for this part - save the leaves for garnish and future cooking)

4. once thats cooked for a couple mins, put in your coconut oil, give it a stir. Chuck in any meat you're going to use (I used chicken and prawns).then the rice noodles. noodles will take about 4-5 mins to soften.

5. serve that bad boy up with some lime wedges on the side and you're done. Should take you around 25 mins first go with all the prep, i nailed it in around 15mins last night
Thanks, will let you know how I go might try it on the weekend, how many does it serve?
I'll be taking out the coriander because it's the devils lettuce

Thanks, will let you know how I go might try it on the weekend, how many does it serve?
I'll be taking out the coriander because it's the devils lettuce
yeah just leave it out - i wouldnt replace it with anything as i reckon that'll change the whole dynamic of the dish. maybe if anything some parsley and extra lime juice.

that should serve 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back