The Fanatics

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone remember the Swedes? They often made regular visits to the Australian Open, but now they don't have anyone to support

There were a few Swedes around when I saw Larsson play on one of the outside courts. Wasn't much chanting or anything (not that it's necessarily a bad thing).

Was on the backcourts for second round watching Dimitrov and Trangelliti, was a fantastic atmosphere hearing the Bulgarian and Argentians chanting songs and getting involved in friendly banter with each other. Then moved into Margaret Court for the Jasika and Gavrilova matches only to be driven to near genocide having to put up with the fantatics. They actually dont even watch the tennis or get involved with the match. They sit there with the blokes playing with each others dicks and the girls slutting it up until one of them feels like he needs to get his utensil out and start chanting a pre-programmed, rip-off 'song'. Such absolute wastes of space. Complete phonies. Only do it to be 'cool' and daddy pays for their tickets, not because they are passionate about the sport and their country winning.

Exactly, they dont even watch the match.

There doesn't appear to be the same number of large supporter groups at the tennis. There are still a few like the Israeli's but for a while there was always a big Sweedish, Dutch, Cyprus, Finland, Danish ect contingent that added a lot of atmosphere.

fanatics trying to remain "relevant"

so are they going to sit at the golf all day and yell random stuff

They are following the two Aussies around (it is a country v country team event). One of the commentators said it adds something, and the other commentator said sarcastically, "yes it definitely adds SOMETHING", implying not a good something. Then he said it gets a bit much after 18 holes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely not you Peter!

no my friend :D

have mates there, and played there many times. Id just like to know how Bumpswithagrin formed this opinion. It is an antiquated opinion, but certainly I subscribe to some of the traditions of golf myself.

Some of the older members of these exclusive golf clubs can be a bit pompous. I don't think they would be keen on the fanatics.

Golf clubs here arent exclusive per se with the exception of Capital
i dont think anyone is keen on these guys. old and young.

Golf clubs here arent exclusive per se with the exception of Capital
i dont think anyone is keen on these guys. old and young.

Yes as long as you are rolling in money anyone can join! Don't get your knickers in a twist, I'm not having a go at Kingston Heath or any other golf club, quite obviously I was merely pointing out for anyone that might not be aware that golf clubs are quite strict on what you can and can't do, the pompous old guys was just a bit of a joke using an old stereotype.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back