Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #82 - Ben Davis

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was wondering the same thing. I can understand the rationale for going one-short - most of the clubs have gone that way this year. Four clubs have gone two short, mostly due to salary cap pressure - Port, GWS, Sydney. I think Freo did it because they had so many list positions to fill, and they just didn't see anyone worth filling them at the very end of the draft. I have no idea why Adelaide would have been considering it.

Could be we just really rate our current batch of rookies? Greenwood, Beech and Keath are all a chance to push for selection so they might just want that flexibility.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
I see Buckenara is classing Davis as more a mid than a forward, I'm liking that, really like blokes with mid/forward capabilities.

All 4 mids we've drafted seem to have that this time
Yeah I can definitely see the midfield potential in Davis, he has some speed and agility and has clean hands, his forward nous really needs to be used though. I reckon, if he develops, he's a 50/50 forward/mid.

fairfooty

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2010
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Chelsea
And apologies if anyone has already mentioned this - but anyone else notice that our crappy Sunday paper (bought for the elderly mother BTW!) on p 44 has a picture of Ben Davies - Crows pick 75. And looks nothing like Ben Davis... Mob of imbeciles... great way to welcome the kid to Adelaide. :rolleyes: Oh well... Suppose he'll get used to the complete incompetence of the local press here.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Could be we just really rate our current batch of rookies? Greenwood, Beech and Keath are all a chance to push for selection so they might just want that flexibility.
Maybe... but if they really rated them that highly, then why didn't they just promote them directly to the senior list (as they did with ROB)?

Wilko91

Senior List
Sep 20, 2013
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg FC Walkerville Cats
Could have done that anyway. The situation now is no different to what it would have been if Shaw had been placed on the LTI list, instead of being retired.

My thoughts on why we went one short this year is that it is salary cap based. Pay the minimum salary cap this year (with one less player) so we can load up a big offer next year for free agency. There is some rule that you can pay more than 100% in a year if the previous 2(?) have been under (i.e. The rolling 3 years is less than 300%). Plus we dont actually know the salary cap for next year yet.

In fact I think this is why a lot of clubs have gone 1 or 2 under this year, as there are a few "elite" free agents next year, or in the case of geelong, port etc, they are bursting at the seams.

oldcrowgirl

Cancelled
Oct 12, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide

fairfooty

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2010
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Chelsea
Justin Reid is quoted in this article:-

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-...nt-play-why-crows-are-sacrificing-a-list-spot

Sounds as if the Crows have a short list for 2017 due to anticipated changes to whole make up of the afl lists.

"In 2018, a bit of an assumption, but we're hearing it may become one list.

"Whether that's 44, 42 or 40, we've got to manage how the list looks in 12 months' time."

Thanks OCG - clearly a list management tactic as someone in another thread said. Issue over.

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
Maybe... but if they really rated them that highly, then why didn't they just promote them directly to the senior list (as they did with ROB)?

In the case of Keath and Greenwood, it may be because I believe they're on a higher salary than the average rookie would be. Wouldn't make sense to have that higher salary sitting within the TPP unless it was guaranteed that they'd be playing. Just a theory though, I have no idea why.

"Whether that's 44, 42 or 40, we've got to manage how the list looks in 12 months' time."

Not picking up a player on a 12 month contract in 2016 because of what might happen in 2018?

Not to mention we have a stack of likely delistings for next year (Thompson, Otten, Gore, Kelly, CEY, possibly others).

I think I need a new avatar.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Justin Reid is quoted in this article:-

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-...nt-play-why-crows-are-sacrificing-a-list-spot

Sounds as if the Crows have a short list for 2017 due to anticipated changes to whole make up of the afl lists.

Not sure if it's confirmation bias building, but I did scratch my head after reading Justin Reid's comments there

I'm inclined to think he's probably ****ed up in some way he'd rather not broadcast and this is the best alternative explanation he can think of

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Not picking up a player on a 12 month contract in 2016 because of what might happen in 2018?

Not to mention we have a stack of likely delistings for next year (Thompson, Otten, Gore, Kelly, CEY, possibly others).

I think I need a new avatar.
Yep, that's just a ridiculous explanation and isn't the reason. Our extra rookie could be on a one year deal and not impact our 2018 list at all.

What is the reason? I don't know.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting that in the sam shaw article it says that Sydney had filed paperwork to take Davis in the rookie draft as an academy pick. Wonder if we got late mail about this.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting that in the sam shaw article it says that Sydney had filed paperwork to take Davis in the rookie draft as an academy pick. Wonder if we got late mail about this.

There was talk in some circles that Davis was a strange pick considering our stance on Jarman. But again if he was ranked for selection on our list then he should be picked. Has something about him.

Back