Player Watch Liam Holt-Fitz (Academy Prospect)

Seems like a nice kid hope Rendell is more open to recruiting from up north these days.
I think they want so see how KK will be doing. We can only f* up our first academy player once.

JDC!

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
I didn't rate this kid the first couple of times I watched him, but I've changed my mind. He has playing some seriously good football at the moment for Nightcliff in the NTFL. It is still debatable whether he possesses "AFL-like" qualities just yet, but he's still very young so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

ChubbyGallon

All Australian
Feb 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think they want so see how KK will be doing. We can only f* up our first academy player once.
Correct me if I am wrong but we can only get hold of him if he doesnt get selected in the national or rookie draft.. So we want him to be impressive enough to pick but not impressive enough for 17 other clubs to pick before us..

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Correct me if I am wrong but we can only get hold of him if he doesnt get selected in the national or rookie draft.. So we want him to be impressive enough to pick but not impressive enough for 17 other clubs to pick before us..
He's still only 16 at the moment (it seems), so he shouldn't be draft eligible for another 2 years. At the moment clubs don't have "exclusive access" to the Academy kids (like the North-East states teams do), we can just pick them up as a Category B Rookie (as we might want to do with Isiah Farrell-Nelson) if no-one takes them in the National or Rookie Drafts.

I hope that by the time this lad is eligible to be drafted that we would have first crack at him, and not have to run the risk of another club snapping him up before us. This article suggests the Cat. B Rookie option may only be in for this year, and the rules relaxed from next year onwards:-

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/academy-rules-tweaked-to-give-overlooked-talent-another-chance

Originally the AFL had planned to fully introduce the next generation academy system for next year's draft, with the category B option for this year's prospects considered likely to be a 'one-off' in 2016.

A player has to meet several forms of approval before being ticked off as being eligible to join a club under the next generation academy rules.

As well as residing in a certain club's region, to be eligible the player must be born or have one parent born in Asia or Africa; be of Indigenous background residing in a remote region; or have both parents born in a non-English speaking country (not Asia or Africa).

Many clubs have started building their next generation academy operations with talent days for local juniors, with most aged 11-15, where the AFL is hoping to centre its attention on up-and-coming football fans.

Last edited:

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am less enthused about this now that I know the rules.

So we only get him if no other club wants him in the national draft or the rookie draft... So we only get him if he is rated outside the top 100ish players for that draft crop. That's not much of a benefit.

I thought there was the same bidding system in place for the northern states academies and father sons... In fact I thought that is why these were introduced - to compensate somewhat for the northern state academies.

So we only get him if no other club wants him in the national draft or the rookie draft... So we only get him if he is rated outside the top 100ish players for that draft crop. That's not much of a benefit.

I thought there was the same bidding system in place for the northern states academies and father sons... In fact I thought that is why these were introduced - to compensate somewhat for the northern state academies.
It will be eventually (same as Northern Academies).
However the initial nominated players (this years crop) were not developed by AFL clubs, hence different rules apply.
Not sure exactly when this changes...2017 or the year after?

You're thinking of Farrell-Nelson who is available to us under the Cat-B system this year. Once our academy is established next year we'll be able to take any Indigenous or Multicultural prospect within Barkly or the Chargers zone in the same way as the northern clubs take their academy players.

The cat B system is only in place for this year before the Academies are properly established.

The cat B system is only in place for this year before the Academies are properly established.

Cheers. I just asked that question in a different sense. That makes sense. I was thinking how ridiculous, clubs are just being encouraged to hide rather than develop talented youngsters, but all good in my eyes.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I went to that school too, I didn't play AFL or win the NSM. Lack of talent I suppose!

A lot of us afflicted with that.

Back