Senior Rowan Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

He's taken more marks in that package than Billy has taken in his lifetime;);););)
Yeah but can he do this
866061-dab6d878-0f46-11e4-ae81-95568c4ed36e.jpg
:p

Look who were listed one after another on Foxsports "VFL Players" to watch in the draft. Was right in front of our eye's all the time!!!

Ben Long (Footscray)

Position: Small forward

2016 VFL average numbers: Rated elite for average goals (1.9), as well as above average for assists (1.1) and score involvements (4.7).

THE cousin of Cyril Rioli and a 19-year-old that has one year on most other draftees, Long represented the NT Thunder (Division 1 national champs) and the Allies (Division 2 national champs) before linking up with Footscray late in the VFL season. But it was in Footscray’s preliminary final win over Collingwood where Long genuinely announced himself, booting a team-high six goals from just nine kicks. After playing a key role in the Bulldogs’ VFL grand final win over Casey, Long was then invited to the national AFL draft combine, finishing equal-third in the field kicking test. In other areas, Long recorded a 13.6 in the beep test, as well as times of 10.52 in the 3km time trial, 3.03 seconds in the 20m sprint and 25.90 seconds in the repeat sprint test. An agile forward with great goal sense at 185cm, Long could also provide an AFL club with excellent pressure inside forward 50.

Rowan Marshall (North Ballarat)

Position: Ruckman/Key defender

2016 VFL average numbers: Averaged 15.4 disposals — the second most of any ruckman in the VFL. He also averaged 11 hit-outs and five intercepts per match.

A 203cm big man from New Zealand with a rugby background, Marshall looms as one of the most versatile and unique VFL prospects ahead of November’s drafts. He missed out on selection in his draft year (2014), but has developed significantly in the VFL over the past two years. After starting the 2016 season as the Roosters’ No. 1 ruckman, Marshall moved into a utility-style role, playing predominantly down back and sneaking forward to kick the occasional goal. He was then invited to the Victorian state combine where he showed off his athleticism, finishing with 13.1 in the beep test and a time of 3.11 seconds in the 20m sprint. He’s competitive in the ruck and an interceptor down back — a unique combination but one that potentially appeals to AFL recruiters.

A 200cm plus "key defender" - jeez they are getting tall!!!

thanks for the write up pebbles

as per the game day thread i was concerned with us picking a 2 year old fwd ruck with only 9 goals this season but this eliavates my concern as it sounds like he was used mostly down back, hence the low goal count

he looks pretty agile and nimble for his height based on the highlights and isnt afraid to clunk a mark, which has been a concern of our developing rucks in the past

i've always wanted a 197+ monster who can ruck down back to take the resting ruck, effectively "tagging them" as it would allow us to keep a potent natural fwd line. i feel sides have it all wrong trying to find the ruck who can play fwd or the fwd who can ruck, rather than just playing natural fwds and finding the ruck from your back line as surely its easier to nullify a sub par fwd than to try and get something out of your sub par fwd.

will be interesting to watch his progress

Holmes, 27, 203cm
Longer, 26, 202cm
Pierce, 22, 202cm
Hickey, 25, 201cm

Marshall, 21, 201cm (r)
Carlisle, 25, 200cm
Bruce, 24, 197cm
Goddard, 20, 196cm
Brown, 28, 195cm
Coughlan, 20, 195cm (r)

10 players, 195cm+, none over 28. Think we'll be right for height for a while.

Look who were listed one after another on Foxsports "VFL Players" to watch in the draft. Was right in front of our eye's all the time!!!

Ben Long (Footscray)

Position: Small forward

2016 VFL average numbers: Rated elite for average goals (1.9), as well as above average for assists (1.1) and score involvements (4.7).

THE cousin of Cyril Rioli and a 19-year-old that has one year on most other draftees, Long represented the NT Thunder (Division 1 national champs) and the Allies (Division 2 national champs) before linking up with Footscray late in the VFL season. But it was in Footscray’s preliminary final win over Collingwood where Long genuinely announced himself, booting a team-high six goals from just nine kicks. After playing a key role in the Bulldogs’ VFL grand final win over Casey, Long was then invited to the national AFL draft combine, finishing equal-third in the field kicking test. In other areas, Long recorded a 13.6 in the beep test, as well as times of 10.52 in the 3km time trial, 3.03 seconds in the 20m sprint and 25.90 seconds in the repeat sprint test. An agile forward with great goal sense at 185cm, Long could also provide an AFL club with excellent pressure inside forward 50.

Rowan Marshall (North Ballarat)

Position: Ruckman/Key defender

2016 VFL average numbers: Averaged 15.4 disposals — the second most of any ruckman in the VFL. He also averaged 11 hit-outs and five intercepts per match.

A 203cm big man from New Zealand with a rugby background, Marshall looms as one of the most versatile and unique VFL prospects ahead of November’s drafts. He missed out on selection in his draft year (2014), but has developed significantly in the VFL over the past two years. After starting the 2016 season as the Roosters’ No. 1 ruckman, Marshall moved into a utility-style role, playing predominantly down back and sneaking forward to kick the occasional goal. He was then invited to the Victorian state combine where he showed off his athleticism, finishing with 13.1 in the beep test and a time of 3.11 seconds in the 20m sprint. He’s competitive in the ruck and an interceptor down back — a unique combination but one that potentially appeals to AFL recruiters.

Brilliant pickup pebs

Long at 185cm is exciting IMO

I've seen him listed at 181 & 183..

Marshall looking like another gem by Trout & co

Very exciting times ahead :)

Holmes, 27, 203cm
Longer, 26, 202cm
Pierce, 22, 202cm
Hickey, 25, 201cm

Marshall, 21, 201cm (r)
Carlisle, 25, 200cm
Bruce, 24, 197cm
Goddard, 20, 196cm
Brown, 28, 195cm
Coughlan, 20, 195cm (r)

Since when did Longer skip 3 years?

Having played against Marshall locally, he's got a loooooong way to go if he's to have an impact at AFL Level. While he does some things well, 3.11seconds over 20m doesn't make him overly athletic, that's a fair lumber to be honest.
He's got some nice qualities, reads the ball well and can use it well but had he not been playing for one of the worst VFL sides in the comp last year I'm not sure how much exposure he'd have received. It's only a rookie spot however, and he's a risk worth taking but gee it makes the upgrade of Holmes even more perplexing for 2017.
5 Ruckman on our list, 3 of which are very much developing and 1 which is limited by his inability to win/find the ball. Would have loved to have seen us throw a money ball mid a lifeline but that's just me. Good luck to the lad, I hope he can become a significant contributor to our next flag tilt.

Mind you, going a different direction...

Given his versatility, tank, etc... do we play Marshall as a Blicavs type?
God I hope not. Blicavs is one of the reasons Geelong turn the ball over so much. Sure he's great at being 3rd man up for hitouts to advantage, but as a midfielder he's a liability as his skills are so bloody poor & he cannot read the game to save himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God I hope not. Blicavs is one of the reasons Geelong turn the ball over so much. Sure he's great at being 3rd man up for hitouts to advantage, but as a midfielder he's a liability as his skills are so bloody poor & he cannot read the game to save himself
Didn't he win a BnF?

Beautiful kicking technique and soft hands for a 200cm Kiwi with a Rugby background. That alone tells us that he has a lot of scope for improvement, especially in an AFL system.

On a seperate note (as I don't see Marshall playing in the ruck) 2017 shapes as a very interesting year for Tom Hickey and Billy Longer... One of these two won't be at the club in 2018.
Why would we delist hickey/Longer and not Pierce/Holmes?

Holmes, 27, 203cm
Longer, 26, 202cm
Pierce, 22, 202cm
Hickey, 25, 201cm

Marshall, 21, 201cm (r)
Carlisle, 25, 200cm
Bruce, 24, 197cm
Goddard, 20, 196cm
Brown, 28, 195cm
Coughlan, 20, 195cm (r)

Just three years ago the KPP/Ruck stocks were;

Ben McEvoy
Beau Maister
Spencer White
Tom Lee
Tom Simpkin
Tom Hickey*
Lewis Pierce*
Jackson Ferguson
Rhys Stanley

. He’s competitive in the ruck and an interceptor down back — a unique combination but one that potentially appeals to AFL recruiters.

Sounds like Carlisle Mark II.

I think some forget that Carlisle has actually played a fair bit in the ruck and goes ok there.

We wouldn't, we'd trade Hickey/Longer since they have more value than Pierce/Holmes
Think we are jumping the gun here.
Good luck to the kid but Marshall may never make it as an AFL ruck.
Longer and Hickey can both play at the top level with Hickey number 1 at the moment. Holmes showed glimpses. Pierce still has a long way to go.

For all we know Holmes doesnt improve any more and Pierce and Marshall dont end up cutting the mustard.
I wouldnt be thinking of getting rid of Billy or Tommy just yet.

Having played against Marshall locally, he's got a loooooong way to go if he's to have an impact at AFL Level. While he does some things well, 3.11seconds over 20m doesn't make him overly athletic, that's a fair lumber to be honest.
He's got some nice qualities, reads the ball well and can use it well but had he not been playing for one of the worst VFL sides in the comp last year I'm not sure how much exposure he'd have received. It's only a rookie spot however, and he's a risk worth taking but gee it makes the upgrade of Holmes even more perplexing for 2017.
5 Ruckman on our list, 3 of which are very much developing and 1 which is limited by his inability to win/find the ball. Would have loved to have seen us throw a money ball mid a lifeline but that's just me. Good luck to the lad, I hope he can become a significant contributor to our next flag tilt.

They see Marshall being a tall forward / ruckman. I think we would have taken McCarthy if he was available, Pies trumped us.

The number of Ruckman is about cashing in at the 2017 trade - look for at least one ruckman being traded out and clubs tend to pay overs for ruckman as we know. 2017 draft is meant to be a ripper plus we sill chase a big name. The ruckmen currency will be handy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back