Senior Rowan Marshall

Think we are jumping the gun here.
Good luck to the kid but Marshall may never make it as an AFL ruck.
Longer and Hickey can both play at the top level with Hickey number 1 at the moment. Holmes showed glimpses. Pierce still has a long way to go.

For all we know Holmes doesnt improve any more and Pierce and Marshall dont end up cutting the mustard.
I wouldnt be thinking of getting rid of Billy or Tommy just yet.
Was just countering the idea that we'd delist Longer or Hickey, not actually in favour of trading either (short of a McEvoy type offer)

Welcome to the Saints Rowan. Im sure you will make the most of your opportunity! GO SAINTS...
Simple , but well said:thumbsu:

If your reading this thread Rowan just ignore any negative stuff said about you.
I mean we didnt even know who the hell Ben Long was. So who are we to judge an obscure rookie:p

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
First interview up: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-11-30/marshalls-life-changes-in-the-blink-of-an-eye

And an actual video of the rookie draft. I didn't realise they were actually in a phone conference type of thing, literally thought they just selected names from a screen: http://www.saints.com.au/video/2016-11-28/dare-raw-the-moment-we-grabbed-marshall
Rowan Marshall's former club, the North Ballarat Roosters, are voting on Monday as to whether to leave the VFL and focus on the Ballarat Football League only.

Sliding doors moment for our boy?

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rowan kicked 5 goals for Sandy in the most recent practise match. Good timing as well with a pretty terrible showing by a lot of the Saints boys.

Not sure whether we can upgrade him just yet with no LTI. He's definitely put his hand up early for the mid-season rookie elevation and with both NOK and Coughlan injured and the other rookie an Irishman he may just be leading the race for that promotion.

Aug 20, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Rowan Marshall doing Rowan Marshall things. :D

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Marshall looks a beauty. What sort of player do you see him developing into? Is he a legitimate ruck/forward option like a Rory Lobb or Peter Wright, or is he more like a Ben Brown who can pinch hit?

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Got himself a highlights package this week: http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-05-09/marshall-vfl-round-4

Moves very well for a big man @ 1:35!

Marshall looks a beauty. What sort of player do you see him developing into? Is he a legitimate ruck/forward option like a Rory Lobb or Peter Wright, or is he more like a Ben Brown who can pinch hit?

I'm not too sure as I haven't seen him play a lot but I think he's very much played the Ben Brown role so far, with little rucking. Considering we've had 3 pretty legitimate ruck options in Hickey/Longer, Pierce and Holmes rotating through the VFL (I think 2 playing alongside at any one time) it's not a surprise.

At AFL level that may be different if it's just him and one other ruckman. Certainly looks a decent prospect with his form so far. And throws our ruck division into even more of a confusing mess. Interesting times ahead.

Has been promoted from the rookie list to the senior list . Big talk he might get a game this week against the Swans , possibly play forward and be second ruck saving Bruce from having ruck duties . Can't wait to see how he goes if he plays .

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has been selected for this weeks match!

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-07-20/perseverance-pays-dividends-for-portland-product

At just over 200cm tall and just under 100kgs, Marshall is set to provide St Kilda with another key focal point in attack, alongside six-time Trevor Barker Award winner Nick Riewoldt and mobile key forward Josh Bruce.

“(The instruction is) just to play my role for the team and just be a Saints Man. (The coaches want me) to fly for my marks because that’s obviously one of my strengths, so if the balls in the air I’ve got to go for my marks and if I’m not winning it bring it to ground so our small forwards can get involved,” he said.

After progressing from Portland on the far south-west coast of Victoria to Ballarat, and then to Seaford and Sandringham, Marshall is ready to sink his teeth into the next challenge that awaits, starting at the SCG on Saturday night.

“I’ll probably pretty nervous running out there, but I’ve spoken to a few boys who have debuted this year and they said as soon as the siren goes you’re switched on and you’re in the game. It will certainly be different but I’m looking forward to the challenge,” he said.

Has been selected for this weeks match!

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-07-20/perseverance-pays-dividends-for-portland-product

At just over 200cm tall and just under 100kgs, Marshall is set to provide St Kilda with another key focal point in attack, alongside six-time Trevor Barker Award winner Nick Riewoldt and mobile key forward Josh Bruce.

“(The instruction is) just to play my role for the team and just be a Saints Man. (The coaches want me) to fly for my marks because that’s obviously one of my strengths, so if the balls in the air I’ve got to go for my marks and if I’m not winning it bring it to ground so our small forwards can get involved,” he said.

After progressing from Portland on the far south-west coast of Victoria to Ballarat, and then to Seaford and Sandringham, Marshall is ready to sink his teeth into the next challenge that awaits, starting at the SCG on Saturday night.

“I’ll probably pretty nervous running out there, but I’ve spoken to a few boys who have debuted this year and they said as soon as the siren goes you’re switched on and you’re in the game. It will certainly be different but I’m looking forward to the challenge,” he said.
In retrospect, probably should have played over Battle last week. It's going to be interesting next week, in terms of whether we can have Marshall, Bruce, Riewoldt, AND Membrey in that forward line.

Highlights of Marshall from this year. He looks good.

https://shar.es/1Ttees
Versatile, nice disposal, good decision making, great mark, can kick bags. The thing is, we've talked about him playing 3 rules: forward, back, ruck. But he actually has some nice attributes for the wing as well.

Very exciting player.

Back