Past Jack Maibaum - delisted 2020

Swans have selected key defender Jack Maibaum with pick 45. All-Australian in 2016.

193cm/90kg
27 March 1998
Key position defender.

AFL.com.au Bio:
"Maibaum was named All Australian full-back after a consistent and steady NAB AFL Under-18s championships for Vic Metro. He was able to shut down some of the better tall opposition forwards with a minimum of fuss, and has closing speed when they get away on the lead. The Eastern Ranges backman is calm and collected when in possession of the ball, but is best as a stopping key defender who sticks to his task. He came second in the agility test at the NAB AFL Draft Combine."

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He seems a good kick. The only concern is that in those videos I did not see many occasions where he is one on one with a direct opponent and he beats that opponent. He seems to be mostly by himself.

He does seem good when the ball hits the ground though.

He seems a good kick. The only concern is that in those videos I did not see many occasions where he is one on one with a direct opponent and he beats that opponent. He seems to be mostly by himself.

He does seem good when the ball hits the ground though.

Might not have been a focus for the person making the videos. Not sexy enough to be a highlight maybe.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I would have preferred Himmelberg if we were looking for a tall but this is still a very good pick. As said above direct Grundy replacement - nothing flashy but will get his job done more often than not. I'll take that

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
First things first. How's his surname pronounced?

Knowing a bit of German, I can say it *should* be "my-bowm" (as in take a bow).

But after the example of Matthew Kreuzer (which is pronounced "kroytzer" in German), anything's possible.

I can totally see it being pronounced "Mayborm" or "Maybome".

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Based on zero hard information and all my own impression, I reckon this guy has the best chance of still being at the club in 10 years.

I get the same feeling. He definitely looks the next Grundy. He and Aliir will form a very strong key defensive unit.

Nov 9, 2004
sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
The Roar AFL 2016 Phantom Draft 2

Jack Maibaum

Size: 193cm/90kg
Position: Key Defender
Plays Like: Alex Rance
In the Mix: Cameron Zurhaar, Matt Guelfi, Zac Fisher

Looking to strengthen their key defender stocks, the Dockers could look towards ready-made defender Jack Maibaum. Maibaum is an extremely task-oriented defender who rarely gets beaten. He is extremely good one-on-one in the air and on the ground and featured in the All-Australian team for the National Carnival, as well as the TAC Cup Team Of The Year. He reads the play exceptionally well and is a good intercept player. Maibaum is very reliable with ball in hand and rarely turns it over.

First things first. How's his surname pronounced?

Knowing a bit of German, I can say it *should* be "my-bowm" (as in take a bow).

But after the example of Matthew Kreuzer (which is pronounced "kroytzer" in German), anything's possible.

I can totally see it being pronounced "Mayborm" or "Maybome".

May-barm is how I have heard it.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Welcome to the best defensive unit in the AFL young Jack! Our defenders are masters of their craft They are stingy, resourceful, and attacking. The ultimate team within a team, learn from the best young man and I'm looking forward to seeing you show us how you're going to keep that defensive unit grit alive and kicking.

Great to see a good solid young prospect based on our list profile.

Don't know much about him but don't see much flashy here. Just a solid performer. Big tick IMO. Great work recruiters.

Hopefully he can help fill that hole Shaw/Ted/Reg will leave & build a solid group with Rampe/AA/Marsh.

Back