Analysis 2017 Midfield Structure

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be shocked in Graham is playing in anything other than the bullants midfield. Only way he gets a game is if all of our young mids aren't fit enough to play.
Agreed. It's make or break for Nick.

If all goes well with our draftees he may not get a look in...

If they need time he will get a chance. Must get a lot more of it to have any chance of staying on our list. Fifth year..

Always takes more than just three to play at the centre bounces through the course of a game.

Ed Curnow will gain be in the mix regularly and don't be surprised to see more of Cuningham and some SPS there also.

Palmer will also likely get mid time, but I lost confidence in Kerridge becoming a regular mid stalwart. Simply not clean enough.
That's why I listed 7 players...

Just not keen on the often stated idea of rotating Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs forward - unless there's an issue like they have a niggle or are struggling I'm the middle

I agree fitness and ability to run both ways is critical. Is there room for a kerridge? Effort and fitness is beyond dispute, but does he have the poise and footy nouse?
I'm not as worried about Kerridge as a lot of people here. Like Lamb, Gorringe and several others, he was brought into the club as part of the foundation on which a team was to be built. Someone who can run both ways, won't have to be ridden to have a crack, tackles, chases and generally gives 100% effort. He'll be cycled out in due course as we continue to add better players and more depth.

Like Gibbs, we use him as an inside mid due to our lack of depth in this area. Think he's also better suited to an outside role on a wing or a HFF where you can utilise his pace and for someone with shite disposal he's generally a reliable shot at goal. Would like to see him utilised this way before being quarantined in the VFL.

I was initially optimistic about Kerridge getting games beyond 2017.

Looking at the direction the club is going in terms of prioritising kicking skills and rapid ball movement, I honestly doubt that he'll last.

If he doesn't improve his decision making, disposal and fumbliness, he'll be pushed out of the side by 2018.

Maybe Kerridge is best suited in the forward line - little less damaging with a clanger up forward and should be good at keeping the ball in the forward line.

Def. Mid: Docherty -- KPD -- Def. Mid: Simpson / Byrne
Wing (Outside Mid) E. Curnow -- Centre: Gibbs -- Wing (Outside Mid): Petrevski-Seton
Ruck: Phillips -- Ruck Rover: Cripps -- Rover: Murphy
Fwd. Mid: Pickett -- KPF -- Fwd. Mid: C. Curnow
Int: Wright -- Smedts -- Palmer -- Cuningham
All four flankers now need to be mids, so that's Doc, Simmo, Pickett and then C. Curnow and the 4 interchange rotating. Ed Curnow is still underrated and does and mountain of hard work, is a gut runner and a big body. Phillips is my first choice ruck. Just seems more mobile that Kreuzer and a better option inside the forward 50. SPS on a wing/outside to ease him in to it, and let him show his flair and creativity. Gibbs and Cripps in the guts supported by Murphy. Would also like to see Sumner have a crack in the middle at stages and during the year definitely Fisher and Polson at some stage.

Charlie: hard to find a like for like, but I'd like to see him rotating with Jack (yes Jack Silvagni)
Jack does look to have quick clean hands in close. I wouldn't be surprised if Bolts is thinking this, given that Roughead and Bruest (and I think Gunston also from memory?) rotate through centre bounces at the Hawks.

That's why I listed 7 players...

Just not keen on the often stated idea of rotating Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs forward - unless there's an issue like they have a niggle or are struggling I'm the middle
It's more about squeezing some extra minutes out of them while changing our tactics through the midfield and up forward to disrupt the opposition's handle on our tactics.

They each offer a different threat to be countered (albeit now with Charlie and SOS, they offer something similar to Cripps and Gibbs' forward work, respectively).

One of the other interesting facts about this thread is that there hasn't been so much as a peep about Boekhorst or Buckley. Somewhat telling I feel.
Just reflects that we have more viable outside midfield options. They're back in the pack now, and that's good for their development as well as the club's chances.

I'm hoping Kerridge sticks to his limitations. IMO he was not up to the extra responsibility when murphy went down last year. Before that he was going ok. Give him a role more suited to his strengths
Fair enough, but i reckon we're entitled as supporters to expect our players not to fumble and hit targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was initially optimistic about Kerridge getting games beyond 2017.

Looking at the direction the club is going in terms of prioritising kicking skills and rapid ball movement, I honestly doubt that he'll last.

If he doesn't improve his decision making, disposal and fumbliness, he'll be pushed out of the side by 2018.
There will quite a few others to join him by 2018 reckon we'll have moved on another 10 to 13 for certain. About 8 to 9 next year and 2018 the remainder. We should be showing much better form by then.
Go Baggers

Can't really argue with this. I think the addition of Palmer in the trade period is really underrated, when you put it all together, he really is in our top half dozen midfielders.

Graham can play footy, but he lacks the attributes required to make it at AFL. He will be a great leader and contributor to the VFL and other State Leagues, 100%. Wouldn't surprise me if he captained a VFL flag one day.

I honestly think Zac Fisher will get opportunities through the middle at times next year - size aside - he just has 'it'. He is already "my man" in my group of family and friends.

I think we are all pretty excited to see what CCurnow can do through the midfield, hope we see something through the NAB to at least say they are aware of his potential.

Edit: One I forgot to mention is Smedts. I think he has a real opportunity to play through our midfield at times.
Graham is a blue and works hard,however he would probably be only resigned for depth only through the Carlton Afl midfield.
It is really inspiring we have developement options to discuss with actual potential coming through this year,new mix different outcome...i really feel we are moving into a better realm,and it seems to be just beginning and thats nice.

Agreed. It's make or break for Nick.

If all goes well with our draftees he may not get a look in...

If they need time he will get a chance. Must get a lot more of it to have any chance of staying on our list. Fifth year..

Not quick enough, smart enough, or skilled enough to make it IMO. Smarts, elite skills or elite fitness can make up for pace. Just dont think he is at the level required. Really needs to be a Sam Mitchell- lite. Get by on gut running and skills. Great VFL player, as people say. Hope he can build an an elite trait to cover for him being treacle slow. Would love to see him start to dominate. He seems like a good bloke. Good luck to him.

I'm hoping Kerridge sticks to his limitations. IMO he was not up to the extra responsibility when murphy went down last year. Before that he was going ok. Give him a role more suited to his strengths
Fair enough, but i reckon we're entitled as supporters to expect our players not to fumble and hit targets.
We got Pick 28 for Menzel and the Crows threw him in as steak knives. You don't get players of Murphy's ilk for steak knives.

i like Kerridge but i think that, barring injuries, we won't see much of him past this season. he's just not a clean, one-touch player, and when you're trying to move the ball quickly he is a glaringly obvious weak link in the chain. sucks because he's a tremendous athlete and tries his guts out.

i'd like to think that Seton will be ready for round 1 although he and all the draftees all look very much like the skinny teens they are (except for Kerr) so i won't hang onto that.

Cripps, Gibbs, Murph, Curnow, Palmer as the mainstays with Wright/Smedts/Cuningham as the second-stringers.

did we draft or recruit another ruckman?

Jack does look to have quick clean hands in close. I wouldn't be surprised if Bolts is thinking this, given that Roughead and Bruest (and I think Gunston also from memory?) rotate through centre bounces at the Hawks.

The thing now is that even though our midfield depth is not the best it's clear that there are many potential options for midfield roles - full-time or part-time! Bolton has the opportunity to look at a number of options over summer with so many young players on our books now. There are obvious NO's as far as midfield roles go, but looking at the list there are a large number of players capable of being tried in different positions, including in the midfield, even for limited rotations while they build up their tank. I always thought Docherty would do well as a midfielder, composed and has good disposal by foot - the fact that he's knocking on the door of AA selection as a defender means I would look elsewhere for now - we have a stable backline so don't want to dismantle it!

No No No to Doc or Simmo running through the midfield. You don't fix what isn't broken. Both are a huge asset of the HBF. Leave them there please. Find midfielders somewhere else

I agree. Early on would have loved to see Docherty tried as a mid, but he has now shown how good he is as an attacking defender so I'd certainly leave him alone as part of a fairly settled back six - one of our real strengths is the developing synergy in the back half; plenty of other POTENTIAL midfield options at the moment. Big summer for Bolton and the coaches deciding on midfield group and forwards from all the potential candidates!

I agree totally. I dont remember the fumbling etc early in the year as much. I have put it down to a change of role. I could be wrong

On the money thread ...

Issue for us is Murphy will most likely finish up in 2-3 years and Gibbs has the 3 years left on his contract.

Starting midfield: Gibbs, Murphy, Cripps, Ed Curnow tagging whoever ...

Next cabs off the rank: Palmer, Cuningham, Kerridge ... (to be replaced by C Curnow, SPS and Fisher), possibly Smedts.

Graham covers for injury, I would like to see Docherty have a run in midfield.

Others get midfield minutes (Sumner, Lamb, Pickett ...).

Not in the conversation ... Thomas, Boekhorst.

I don't see where Plowman is going to come from to play midfield this season... Let him actually have a pre-season for the first time in his career.

Charlie, I personally see the potential to become a midfielder, but I just don't see it right now in his second season. I personally wouldn't mind to see him play a role like that of Stringer, and mix sitting deep F50, High F50 and rotations through the midfield where required. Full time mid? Really don't see it.

We need good users like Docherty and Simpson coming off half back, he just won our BnF playing this position. Potentially if our good ball users we recruited this year come on can I see Doc getting a run in the guts... I think Boekhorst could potentially come this player as I think his disposal is neat, but he has to bring a hardness to his game like Docherty does I think.

I think if we suffer injuries this year, particular in the midfield, we will seriously struggle.

I am becoming a bit bullish of Palmer now, I think he could play a really important role with us this season. He really is in our top half dozen midfielders and I think the challenge of him playing in the guts again instead of tagging the oppositions half forward will give him some extra motivation to show his capabilities.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back