Who will be the next club to break a premiership drought?

Who will break the next premiership drought?

• Total voters

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Should be an option for None.

Just because Essendon have won 16 does not guarantee they will ever win 17, heck Carlton won 16 too last century and have turned into the 21st century St Kilda this one so things change over time.

GWS will win the next 8 to 12 so all those clubs will be back in rebuild mode and tye Hawks night pounce

The Giants are far from unbeatable, there is no doubt that they have a strong list but I find the common perception that they are a shoe in for multiple premierships bemusing.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Giants are far from unbeatable, there is no doubt that they have a strong list but I find the common perception that they are a shoe in for multiple premierships bemusing.

Their first three picks this draft will turn into b/a graders who will plsy for at least the next 10 years.

They recruited Delidio who will dure them up for the next 3 to 5 years.

If they can pull an a grade player each year through academy plus offload players to other clubs to use as a way to climb their draft position each year they wont drop off.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
No such thing as a shoe in... But with the talent they have assembled the odds are that they will win at least 1 flag... But your mob will be stiff oposition for them... Id love to say we will be but the giants will leap above us this season.

Their first three picks this draft will turn into b/a graders who will plsy for at least the next 10 years.

If they can pull an a grade player each year through academy plus offload players to other clubs to use as a way to climb their draft position each year they wont drop off.
I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Their top picks may turn into A graders or they may turn into O'Rourke, Jaksch or Plowman.

I don't think they will drop off either, they should be thereabouts for quite a while. But being thereabouts doesn't guarantee premierships. Other sides will improve, the Giants will need to as well.

Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Think Melbourne is more of a "sure thing" to be a contender soon, they have a lot of depth through the midfield which is proven to get teams far.

Saints could be now or 3 years away from contending depending on development. They have the list that needs a couple more players to impose themselves on the league and snatch a star FA.

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Hopefully you're right. You just beat them and if they'd gotten past you guys they would've pasted the Swans so they're very close.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
GWS will win the next 8 to 12 so all those clubs will be back in rebuild mode and tye Hawks night pounce
While they're list is still insanely talented and they've topped up again at this year's draft, they've still lost 12 top 10 draft picks since their inception. That's a lot of departing talent.

Their challenge is to retain all of their quality to create the dynasty you foresee.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
While they're list is still insanely talented and they've topped up again at this year's draft, they've still lost 12 top 10 draft picks since their inception. That's a lot of departing talent.

Their challenge is to retain all of their quality to create the dynasty you foresee.
Every year the Giants will be losing high quality talent and if other clubs who recruit these players are able to correctly develop them to their potential then there's a good chance that these clubs can close the gap on the Giants.

IMO I don't see the Giants becoming a team that wins the premiership for example 4 times in 5 years I think it'll be much more even than that. But in saying that they will probably win a couple of times within 5 years or so.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Every year the Giants will be losing high quality talent and if other clubs who recruit these players are able to correctly develop them to their potential then there's a good chance that these clubs can close the gap on the Giants.

IMO I don't see the Giants becoming a team that wins the premiership for example 4 times in 5 years I think it'll be much more even than that. But in saying that they will probably win a couple of times within 5 years or so.
I agree with your post except the confounding bit that other clubs need to develop our excers. I think we've a pretty good record in that regard. Might have to teach them how to hamdle themselves around guys who dont have their natural gifts perhaps.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I agree with your post except the confounding bit that other clubs need to develop our excers. I think we've a pretty good record in that regard. Might have to teach them how to hamdle themselves around guys who dont have their natural gifts perhaps.
I should have explained that bit regarding the development of your former players better. What I meant was that clubs that recruit your former players will need to continue to develop these players to their full potential. My post wasn't meant to suggest the Giants weren't developing these players correctly so I do apologise for the confusion.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I should have explained that bit regarding the development of your former players better. What I meant was that clubs that recruit your former players will need to continue to develop these players to their full potential. My post wasn't meant to suggest the Giants weren't developing these players correctly so I do apologise for the confusion.
Fair enough
I actually agree completely àbout our prospects. I'm never sure whether to be annoyed or embarassed for the club at some of the absurdly optimistic predictions. Not from our supporters that I've ever seen

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fair enough
I actually agree completely àbout our prospects. I'm never sure whether to be annoyed or embarassed for the club at some of the absurdly optimistic predictions. Not from our supporters that I've ever seen
Yeah some of the predictions regarding how the Giants will perform in the future look quite exaggerated. However, you guys have built a balanced list that should be in the premiership mix for the next five years and probably beyond.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah some of the predictions regarding how the Giants will perform in the future look quite exaggerated. However, you guys have built a balanced list that should be in the premiership mix for the next five years and probably beyond.
I'm looking forwardward to our game at Manuka next year. With your list coming on and us overdue for a win, I think it will be a good contest.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm looking forwardward to our game at Manuka next year. With your list coming on and us overdue for a win, I think it will be a good contest.
Yeah definitely, we do seem to play quite well against you guys despite your team playing more consistently over the season. Also as our teams mature over the next few years, The Demons should be in or around the top 4 with the Giants so our games will be quite exciting I reckon.

Back