New Metallica!

Remove this Banner Ad

Moth Into Flame
Now That We're Dead
Halo On Fire
Spit Out The Bone

All great tracks. Hetfield sounds great, Hammett is suprisingly interesting on a few songs, plenty of variety, some subtle nods to Sabbath and Maiden in there. It's cool to hear them paying homage to their influences I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really liking it, I rate it around a 7.5-8. My favourites are Halo on Fire, Moth into a Flame and Spit Out the Bone. J

I gave up on Metallica after AJFA. That's ok, they changed and all the power to them. However, if music like this was released under another band's name I am certain no one would give a hoot. Just offers nothing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hmmm... so, you're telling me that Black did nothing for you? Master of Puppets is undoubtedly Metallica's best album, with Ride the Lighting a close second, but I don't think anyone could say with a straight face that Kill 'Em All was a better album than Black.

^^ Seek & Destroy, Four Horsemen, Hit the Lights, Phantom Lord, Whiplash, Jump in the Fire would elevate most albums above the Black album. Enter Sandman & The Unforgiven aside, there's a big fat nothing on Black that stacks up anywhere near those original songs IMO. Brilliant production but incredibly boring music.

Quite liking a lot of the new album though.

Last edited:
Hmmm... so, you're telling me that Black did nothing for you? Master of Puppets is undoubtedly Metallica's best album, with Ride the Lighting a close second, but I don't think anyone could say with a straight face that Kill 'Em All was a better album than Black.

I'll tell you with a straight face everytime (and so will thousands of other heavy metal fans around the world). They are completely different albums which attract different people. One is raw aggressive NWOBHM on speed, the other polished hard rock/metal with some ballads (and a massive letdown for me when it was released). First five albums have between 24 and 31 reviews each at this link and the Black album has the lowest average (not sure what the mean figure is but if you want to work it out go for it).

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Metallica/125

I'd rank the albums KEA/RTL > MOP > AJFA.

I'll tell you with a straight face everytime (and so will thousands of other heavy metal fans around the world). They are completely different albums which attract different people. One is raw aggressive NWOBHM on speed, the other polished hard rock/metal with some ballads (and a massive letdown for me when it was released). First five albums have between 24 and 31 reviews each at this link and the Black album has the lowest average (not sure what the mean figure is but if you want to work it out go for it).

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Metallica/125

I'd rank the albums KEA/RTL > MOP > AJFA.
Fair enough, man. I don't know how old you are, probably ten plus years older than me, so it's different perspectives here I guess. Black was the first album I remember Metallica releasing, having been born in the early eighties. I discovered their previous work later, but for mine, Black was amazing and still is to this day. The Unforgiven - best single in history.

Looking back on all the albums, I think my subjective preference is Black purely because of what it means to me personally. However, I think I can say objectively that MOP and RTL are better. AJFA is on par with Black, in my opinion, with KEA trailing that. Later works aren't worth comparing, but they were still enjoyable for mine nonetheless.

Fair enough, man. I don't know how old you are, probably ten plus years older than me, so it's different perspectives here I guess. Black was the first album I remember Metallica releasing, having been born in the early eighties. I discovered their previous work later, but for mine, Black was amazing and still is to this day. The Unforgiven - best single in history.

Looking back on all the albums, I think my subjective preference is Black purely because of what it means to me personally. However, I think I can say objectively that MOP and RTL are better. AJFA is on par with Black, in my opinion, with KEA trailing that. Later works aren't worth comparing, but they were still enjoyable for mine nonetheless.
Yeah. Probably 5 years older at least which is a huge time given how music develops (compare metal in 1983 to metal in 1988).

I think most people's experience with Metallica is different, I grew up with Load and Reload so I like those albums the best and Metallica was my first ever concert. My old man shaped my taste in music pretty much with bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Guns N Roses.

Yeah. Probably 5 years older at least which is a huge time given how music develops (compare metal in 1983 to metal in 1988).

Music changes quickly but within the one genre it's usually not a big enough change for me to disregard outright. Sure, old Metallica is better than new. Just like Red Hot Chilli Peppers' old work, where most of their newer albums are considered their worst, I grew up in the nineties and believe that their best work came from that decade. Blood Sugar Sex Magik followed by Californication. I digress...

I think people get caught in the trap of judging music based only on the standards of what the same band produced previously. I think previous work is a guide, but not the be all and end all. Judge it also against what is released currently. In 2016, when you turn on Nova or Fox what do you hear? Utter s**t, to be honest.

Would I listen to Hardwired over Master of Puppets? No! Not by choice. Would I listen to Hardwired over Drake, Beiber, Chris Brown et al? Truth is, the radio would be in pieces before I'd ever listen to that or any other crap like that. Hardwired may not be as good as previous work, but just like The Getaway isn't as good as Blood Sugar Sex Magik, I still like and enjoy the RHCP regardless. In isolation, their music is still very good.

I think most people's experience with Metallica is different, I grew up with Load and Reload so I like those albums the best and Metallica was my first ever concert. My old man shaped my taste in music pretty much with bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Guns N Roses.
Yeah, same here. Load and Reload were released when I was in High School, so I definitely have good memories of those two albums. They weren't my favourite albums, and the sequels to The Unforgiven were very good in the case of number two, and slightly underwhelming in (Death Magnetic) number three's case - but nonetheless they were still ennoyable singles and albums.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back