Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #44 - Myles Poholke

Competing for spots ...can't ask for more than that.

Unfortunately, at the AFC, competiting for spots is not enough. We had competition for spots this year and we instead gifted Thommo and Mackay games

Unfortunately, at the AFC, competiting for spots is not enough. We had competition for spots this year and we instead gifted Thommo and Mackay games

We really didn't have all that much competition for those spots this year, which was part of the overall problem.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Those things are to do with yourself, not others. Leadership is about your effect in others. Also, they are qualities you want in all your players, so if you're calling those things leadership then you really want a squad of 44 leaders which makes it meaningless.

Gary Ablett by all reports has those qualities in spades, and it is part of why he's a champion. But he's not a leader, and anywhere but Gold Coast that wouldn't be a problem.

Arguably the most important trait of a leader is the ability to act as a role model. You can't expect to act as a leader if you're not looking after yourself and doing all the little things right as well.

Generally when people refer to "leadership skills" they're not talking about the ability to point others to their position. They're talking about someone who is a quality person who leads by example and isn't scared to set the standards. And those are very positive traits.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Arguably the most important trait of a leader is the ability to act as a role model. You can't expect to act as a leader if you're not looking after yourself and doing all the little things right as well.

Generally when people refer to "leadership skills" they're not talking about the ability to point others to their position. They're talking about someone who is a quality person who leads by example and isn't scared to set the standards. And those are very positive traits.
Sorry just came into the thread ? ......are you talking about deaneus efforts last night?? ...:p

Cockwomble

All Australian
May 3, 2016
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Whyalla under 9's
Just for ease of watching Gooch is black no. 7, Jars white 2, Myles White 10 & Davo white 21..

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
No worries enjoy..

really liking Myles, he was very good early with clean disposal, I think he will be a long team player for us. based on that Ben Davis was good pick up. The other thing I notice was Jarmans disposal...soooo good! didn't get much of it but those 2 inside 50's early sweeet!

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
I've said that Myles reminds me of Luke Parker... well, just going through some old draft profiles, Quigley's assessment of Parker reminds me somewhat of Poholke, and how he's been described?

"If a team is looking to add grunt to their team then Parker will be one that they will be looking at in the 20-35 range. Parker does not have any exceptional characteristics except maybe his marking but he is a player who has a smart football brain and does most things well. He is predominantly an inside mid who can go forward and likes to present as a marking target up forward. He will fly for everything up forward and create a contest and crash the packs. I would like to see him wait down a little more and use his inside mid abilities to crumb a few. Still he is very capable of taking a contested mark and his pack crashing abilities did create more than a few goals at the Champs – one in particular was him flying and the 199cm Lynch waiting down to pick up the crumbing goal. He reads the ball very well in the air and judges his jump to best effect. In the air his hands are well above average and his highlight reel looks particularly good in this respect. Bear in mind though that despite the highlights he spills his share as well and averaged less than 3 marks per game at the Champs. He needs to get into the open more and present as an unmarked target.

At the moment most of his marks are contested and his outside game needs to improve. He needs to be taught to spots to run to to receive. He works hard in his repeat efforts and I don’t think he idles at a particularly high rate. He has a reputation for having good endurance but I think this is something which needs to improve if he is going to get the best out of himself (he didn’t test at the Combine). He needs to cover more ground and present himself as an easy option. He has a powerful build which will only improve once he matures and is put on an AFL strength program. He has good strength over the ball and excellent strength in the air. He is a kid who is hard to move when they are in the air if you know what I mean. On the ground he has good balance and brushes arm tackles well. He is not hugely elusive but is not the worst in this regard either and is not easy to tackle.

He is a reasonable but not exceptional kick of the ball and his penetration is nothing to write home about (but neither is it bad just middle of the pack). When he has time he looks very nice style wise and he chips and picks out men well. His handballs can be a bit hit and miss and I think this is something that needs to be worked on. He shows excellent awareness in the contest of where everyone is but sometimes his execution of the simple will let him down. There are occasions though when he slips a handball out to someone he has no right to be aware is even there. He has no problem getting right into the thick of things in the contest and put himself at the bottom of packs. He has good ball winning skills in those types of situations.

Overall he is a good inside mid who can do a job up forward but he is also a prospect who might not have the ceiling of some of the other prospects but does not have the risk either. He will play and do so well."

Back