Rank your favourite band's albums

Remove this Banner Ad

Catherine Wheel

Ferment / Chrome / Adam and Eve
Happy Days / Like Cats and Dogs (B-Sides)
Wishville

First 3 listed are too hard to split - all are phenomenal

Mental mammoth towering walls of guitar mixed in with dreamy mesmerising swirling melodies

Its a shame they never really got their due

Best band of the 90s for me

Excellent band, and and I agree Wishville was crap.

My order would be

Chrome

Ferment

Happy Days

Adam & Eve

Wishville

Cats and dogs the odds and sods compo is a similar level to Adam & Eve

Gonna do some grouped ranks rather than a top to bottom list.

AC/DC

Undisputed favourite
Powerage

Right up there
Back In Black, Highway to Hell

Damn good listen
Fly on the Wall, Dirty Deeds, High Voltage, Black Ice, Let There be Rock

Bit uneven but still quality in places
Razors Edge, Ballbreaker, Rock or Bust

Not their best
Flick of the Switch, Blow Up Your Video, Stiff Upper Lip, For Those About to Rock

Too little original content to compare, but good
Who Made Who, Jailbreak

KISS

Left out compilations, EPs and half the live albums. Included the 4 Solo albums;

1. KISS Alive !
2. Rock and Roll Over
3. KISS
4. Love Gun
5. Dressed To Kill
6. Hotter Then Hell
7. The Elder
8. Ace Frehley Solo
9. Alive II
10. Creatures Of The Night
11. Destroyer
12. Unplugged
13. Lick it Up
14. Alive III
15. Paul Stanley Solo
16. Animalize
17. Dynasty
18. Psycho Circus
19. Kiss Alive IV
20. Gene Simmons Solo
21. Carnival Of Souls
22. Crazy Nights
23. Unmasked
24. Hot in the Shade
25. Peter Criss Solo
26. Asylum
27. Monster
28. Sonic Boom

Can't say I've listened to it but I've always thought The Elder was a giant bomb? Also you've left out Revenge.

Gonna do some grouped ranks rather than a top to bottom list.

AC/DC

Undisputed favourite
Powerage

Right up there
Back In Black, Highway to Hell

Damn good listen
Fly on the Wall, Dirty Deeds, High Voltage, Black Ice, Let There be Rock

Bit uneven but still quality in places
Razors Edge, Ballbreaker, Rock or Bust

Not their best
Flick of the Switch, Blow Up Your Video, Stiff Upper Lip, For Those About to Rock

Too little original content to compare, but good
Who Made Who, Jailbreak
Great list edgie!
Personally, I'd put Let there be Rock up there too and put Flick of the Switch and For those about two rock two rungs higher. Actually I'd also put TNT in the damn good listen

Okay here I go for a few of my faves,

The Clash

1. London Calling
2. The Clash (US Version)
3. Give em enough rope
4. Sandanista (would have been #1 if the triple was condensed down to a single album)
5. Combat Rock

The Damned

1. Machine Gun Etiquette
2. The Black Album
3. Strawberries
4. Damned Damned Damned
5. Not of this Earth (aka I'm alright Jack and the Beanstalk)

Killing Joke

1. Fire Dances
2. Killing Joke (2013)
3. Killing Joke (1980)
4. Pandemonium
5. Night time

Stiff Little Fingers

1. Inflammable Material
2. Nobody's Heroes
3. Flags and Emblems
4. Go For it
5. No going Back

Okay here I go for a few of my faves,

The Clash

1. London Calling
2. The Clash (US Version)
3. Give em enough rope
4. Sandanista (would have been #1 if the triple was condensed down to a single album)
5. Combat Rock

The Damned

1. Machine Gun Etiquette
2. The Black Album
3. Strawberries
4. Damned Damned Damned
5. Not of this Earth (aka I'm alright Jack and the Beanstalk)

Killing Joke

1. Fire Dances
2. Killing Joke (2013)
3. Killing Joke (1980)
4. Pandemonium
5. Night time

Stiff Little Fingers

1. Inflammable Material
2. Nobody's Heroes
3. Flags and Emblems
4. Go For it
5. No going Back

I really like Brighter Than A Thousand Suns by Killing Joke. I know people complain it sounding very 80s, but I think it still contains their power along with being melodic.

Can't say I've listened to it but I've always thought The Elder was a giant bomb? Also you've left out Revenge.

I did too ! Revenge would be placed after Destroyer.

The Elder - Was a commercial flop. But musically, with Bob Ezrin's production, it is musically one of Kiss' best albums. It is also the only time KISS attempt a Prog Rock project. I really enjoy The Elder, but you have to be "in the mood" for it.

Flying Lotus

Cosmogramma
Los Angeles
Until the Quiet Comes
You're Dead

MF DOOM (solo and selected other aliases/collabs)

Madvillainy
Vaudeville Villain
Take Me to Your Leader
The Mouse and the Mask
Operation Doomsday
Venomous Villain
Mm.. Food

My FlyLo ranking would be almost identical, except with UTQC a close No.2 (my only semi-regular FlyLo listen in recent times, an artist mostly resigned to my youth).

WIRE
1: 154
2: A Bell Is A Cup
3: Chairs Missing
4: Pink Flag
5: Send
6: IBTABA
7: The Ideal Copy
8: Manscape
9: The First Letter
10:The Drill

Only got into Wire this year and have been going back to Pink Flag on a regular basis. that you've got 3 other albums above it makes me very excited!

Only got into Wire this year and have been going back to Pink Flag on a regular basis. that you've got 3 other albums above it makes me very excited!

Wire has three distinct phases. The first was from 1976-1980 which produced 'Pink Flag', 'Chairs Missing','154' and the post modernist live album 'Document and Eyewitness' as well as some great singles with 'Question of Degree' being the standout. The progression from "Pink Flag', which is like an intellectual Ramones, to 'Chairs Missing', which has echoes of Pink Floyd, to '154' which is sophisticated post-punk, and also Al Jourgensen from Ministry's favourite album, is remarkable. They split into two in 1980 with guitarist Bruce Gilbert and bassist/voice Graham Lewis forming a number of experimental electronic outfits with Dome being the best of them. The albums 'Dome 1' and 'Dome 2' being the standouts. Vocalist/guitarist Colin Newman put out some great solo albums with 'A-Z' and 'Not To' being the best.

Wire reconvened in 1985 releasing the excellent 'SnakeDrill' mini album of four tracks. They followed this with albums 'The Ideal Copy' and 'A Bell is A Cup' to great critical acclaim but the following release 'Manscape' was widely regarded as a disappointment, although it now stands up very well. Drummer Robert Gotobed left after this album as Wire had become infatuated with the new drum machine technology of the time. The remaining members Newman, Lewis and Gilbert decided to drop the E off their name in tribute to their departed colleague and continued on as Wir. They released the album 'The First Letter' plus some singles and then called it quits around 1990.

In 2000 Wire got back to together with drummer Gotobed and released two pounding mini albums 'Read and Burn 1&2' which they joined together with some other tracks and released as the album 'Send' in 2003 which was a return to hard ,fast guitar music like 'Pink Flag. It was a huge critical success. In 2005 guitarist Bruce Gilbert left to pursue a career in industrial electronic music bringing an end to the classic lineup of Wire. They continue to this day and tour more than they ever have but are not the same band without the subversive artistic contributions of the great Bruce Gilbert. Check out the Youtube clip of Wire performing on the 'Suzanne Somers Show' in 1987. It's the most incongruous thing I've seen as the band plays the industrial thrash of 'Drill' to a presumably mystified audience of housewives and retirees. The interview with Bruce Gilbert on stage is awkward and hilarious.

Dream Theater

Included 3 Live albums as they are simply awesome recordings.

1. Images and Words
2. Awake
3. Metropolis PT2 : Scenes From a Memory
4. Score
5. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
6. Train of Thought
7. Live Scenes from New York
8. Octovarium
9. When Dream and Day Unite
10. Falling into Infinity
11. Once In A Livetime
12. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
13. Dream Theater
14. Systematic Chaos
15. A Dramatic Turn of Events
16. The Astonishing

For me, DT reigned supreme right up until Six Degrees. Never got into anything after Octavarium (and even Octavarium doesn't stand the test of time for me. I don't even care to listen to DT anymore. They've changed too much in a direction I don't like. No vocal melodies anymore - stupid angst ridden lyrics. They used to have great melodies and themes and the solos had passion. Now they are just thrashing around with no vibe. Portnoy was right - they should have taken a couple of years off and recharged their batteries.

1. Images
1. Awake
3. Scenes from a Memory
4. Six Degrees
5. Change of Seasons
6. Falling into Infinity.
7. Octavarium
8. Train of Thought.

After that, I don't care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Oils

I've included the two EPs because how can you not?

1. Head Injuries
2. Diesel and Dust
3. 10-1
4. Red Sails in the Sunset
5. Species Deceases
6. Capricornia
7. Place Without a Postcard
8. Blue Sky Mining
9. Bird Noises
10. Earth and Sun and Moon
11. Midnight Oil
12. Breathe
13. Redneck Wonderland.

1. Head Injuries
2. Red Sails
3. Diesel and Dust.
4. 10-1
5. Species Deceases.
6. Place without a Postcard
7. Bird Noises.
8. Midnight Oil.
9. Blue Sky Mining
10. Capricornia
11. Earth, Sun, Moon
12. Breathe
13 Redneck Wonderland.

Not too different I guess. I never really connected with their later stuff. I was moving on to more progressive rock. But Head Injuries - what a record! It's virtually a prog-rock album.

1. Head Injuries
2. Red Sails
3. Diesel and Dust.
4. 10-1
5. Species Deceases.
6. Place without a Postcard
7. Bird Noises.
8. Midnight Oil.
9. Blue Sky Mining
10. Capricornia
11. Earth, Sun, Moon
12. Breathe
13 Redneck Wonderland.

Not too different I guess. I never really connected with their later stuff. I was moving on to more progressive rock. But Head Injuries - what a record! It's virtually a prog-rock album.

What a record indeed. It's fair to say I've listened to it more than any other album in my collection. Interesting you say it's almost a prog rock album, I've never even considered that notion. To be honest though that term seems to cover such a wide range of music I'm not really sure what it truly means. Anyway, awesome album that certainly doesn't include any over indulgence which is something I've heard prog rock criticised for in the past. Also, although the complete experience is superior most Head Injuries songs stand just a well all on their own. Just a bloody sublime album by a bloody awesome band at the peak of their powers.

What a record indeed. It's fair to say I've listened to it more than any other album in my collection. Interesting you say it's almost a prog rock album, I've never even considered that notion. To be honest though that term seems to cover such a wide range of music I'm not really sure what it truly means. Anyway, awesome album that certainly doesn't include any over indulgence which is something I've heard prog rock criticised for in the past. Also, although the complete experience is superior most Head Injuries songs stand just a well all on their own. Just a bloody sublime album by a bloody awesome band at the peak of their powers.
For me progressive rock, when done well, is not about excess but about contrasts. Where most styles will have a handful of homogenous ideas that that flow in and out of each other in the usual way (Intro, Verse, maybe a bridge, Chorus, maybe a solo), Midnight Oil, and Head Injuries in particular used very contrasting ideas, textures, very powerful themes, different energy levels, unusual structures. To me they were drawing on a much wider palette than their peers like INXS - who were another great band (up until KICK, anyway), but much more straight down the line.

I listened through all my old Midnight Oil stuff recently after a pretty long lay off and I was very surprised at how little it has dated. It's timeless music. I think I didn't fully appreciate Peter Garrett's talents either. As idiosyncratic as he was, described by some as being more of a vocal personality than a singer - he was a damn fine singer!

For me, DT reigned supreme right up until Six Degrees. Never got into anything after Octavarium (and even Octavarium doesn't stand the test of time for me. I don't even care to listen to DT anymore. They've changed too much in a direction I don't like. No vocal melodies anymore - stupid angst ridden lyrics. They used to have great melodies and themes and the solos had passion. Now they are just thrashing around with no vibe. Portnoy was right - they should have taken a couple of years off and recharged their batteries.

1. Images
1. Awake
3. Scenes from a Memory
4. Six Degrees
5. Change of Seasons
6. Falling into Infinity.
7. Octavarium
8. Train of Thought.

After that, I don't care.

Could not agree more. For the claims of attempting to sound commercial, "Falling into infinity" is better than just about all their releases after "Octovarium". The wheels fell off after "Black Clouds and Silver linings" - The last album Portnoy played on.

Wire has three distinct phases. The first was from 1976-1980 which produced 'Pink Flag', 'Chairs Missing','154' and the post modernist live album 'Document and Eyewitness' as well as some great singles with 'Question of Degree' being the standout. The progression from "Pink Flag', which is like an intellectual Ramones, to 'Chairs Missing', which has echoes of Pink Floyd, to '154' which is sophisticated post-punk, and also Al Jourgensen from Ministry's favourite album, is remarkable. They split into two in 1980 with guitarist Bruce Gilbert and bassist/voice Graham Lewis forming a number of experimental electronic outfits with Dome being the best of them. The albums 'Dome 1' and 'Dome 2' being the standouts. Vocalist/guitarist Colin Newman put out some great solo albums with 'A-Z' and 'Not To' being the best.

Wire reconvened in 1985 releasing the excellent 'SnakeDrill' mini album of four tracks. They followed this with albums 'The Ideal Copy' and 'A Bell is A Cup' to great critical acclaim but the following release 'Manscape' was widely regarded as a disappointment, although it now stands up very well. Drummer Robert Gotobed left after this album as Wire had become infatuated with the new drum machine technology of the time. The remaining members Newman, Lewis and Gilbert decided to drop the E off their name in tribute to their departed colleague and continued on as Wir. They released the album 'The First Letter' plus some singles and then called it quits around 1990.

In 2000 Wire got back to together with drummer Gotobed and released two pounding mini albums 'Read and Burn 1&2' which they joined together with some other tracks and released as the album 'Send' in 2003 which was a return to hard ,fast guitar music like 'Pink Flag. It was a huge critical success. In 2005 guitarist Bruce Gilbert left to pursue a career in industrial electronic music bringing an end to the classic lineup of Wire. They continue to this day and tour more than they ever have but are not the same band without the subversive artistic contributions of the great Bruce Gilbert. Check out the Youtube clip of Wire performing on the 'Suzanne Somers Show' in 1987. It's the most incongruous thing I've seen as the band plays the industrial thrash of 'Drill' to a presumably mystified audience of housewives and retirees. The interview with Bruce Gilbert on stage is awkward and hilarious.

I feel like just saying thank you isn't enough for this. Great stuff!

I feel like just saying thank you isn't enough for this. Great stuff!

I'll weigh in on the Wire love I saw them at the corner a few years ago too and was wrapped they played Kidney Bingos. Ahead would of been great too as I think those 87-88 albums are underrated even by the band themselves.

The first 3 are obviously classics, I really like 154, especially 2 people in a room which almost sounds like a killing joke prelude

Also fun fact Wire were one of 3 support acts for Depeche Mode when they played their 101 concert at the Rose Bowl. The others being Thomas Dolby and OMD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could not agree more. For the claims of attempting to sound commercial, "Falling into infinity" is better than just about all their releases after "Octovarium". The wheels fell off after "Black Clouds and Silver linings" - The last album Portnoy played on.
Yeah, to me they are more commercial now than FII ever was. The difference is what market they are trying to tap into. Back then they had Desmond Child trying to get them onto the Bon Jovi listeners' radar. Now they're aiming squarely for the smaller, but more attainable metal market - which is like shooting fish in a barrel. They'll buy anything that sounds like a wall of sound. Their current market is no less commercial than FII, but further from their progressive ideals as musicians. If they were still making music of the FII ilk, I'd still be buying their music - even though it wasn't their best work. It was still fine music.

Yeah, to me they are more commercial now than FII ever was. The difference is what market they are trying to tap into. Back then they had Desmond Child trying to get them onto the Bon Jovi listeners' radar. Now they're aiming squarely for the smaller, but more attainable metal market - which is like shooting fish in a barrel. They'll buy anything that sounds like a wall of sound. Their current market is no less commercial than FII, but further from their progressive ideals as musicians. If they were still making music of the FII ilk, I'd still be buying their music - even though it wasn't their best work. It was still fine music.

The difference is that straight after FII, they released the brilliant "Metropolis PTII", which was an incredible follow up progressive masterpiece along the lines of 2112 and Operation Mindcrime. I tried listening to "The Astonishing" and everything about that album is horrible. The packaging looks more like a Video Game and the "music" is nothing like previous albums. I hope the follow up is back to basics, or include Portnoy, or one could only wish, Kevin Moore.

The contrast between the early albums and later albums is widening. I was listening to "Awake" yesterday, and is still sounds modern and blows away most Metal / progressive artists, even 22 years after it's release.

The difference is that straight after FII, they released the brilliant "Metropolis PTII", which was an incredible follow up progressive masterpiece along the lines of 2112 and Operation Mindcrime. I tried listening to "The Astonishing" and everything about that album is horrible. The packaging looks more like a Video Game and the "music" is nothing like previous albums. I hope the follow up is back to basics, or include Portnoy, or one could only wish, Kevin Moore.
Yes, as time goes by, the more clear it is that Kevin Moore was responsible for the ambience of Dream Theater. He was keeping it real and maintaining the balance. He also added a certain classical restraint to their music. Sherinian was interesting. Jordan Rudess is too much like Petrucci - they egg each other on, it's like a pissing contest. Metropolis PTII was already half written with Sherinian before Rudess joined - that explains why that album sounds the way it does. Much as I admire Rudess for his incredible talent, he's a bit too much for DT.

The contrast between the early albums and later albums is widening. I was listening to "Awake" yesterday, and is still sounds modern and blows away most Metal / progressive artists, even 22 years after it's release.
Exactly. That's why it blows me away when people claim that DT is evolving its sound to go with the times. If anything, to me that sound they have now is quite hackneyed. There's nothing fresh about it. I'm so sick of that triple-tracked/oversaturated/EMG/dual-rectifier concrete cutting guitar sound. And Musicman guitars suck. Bring back the Ibanez! The sound on Awake is raw and perfect. And there are so many great clean/melodic/serene moments on there. That's what made DT great, the contrasts. They've lost their contrast. Now they do ball breaking, and faux angst ridden calm (you always know there's another explosion coming). It's almost like the whole band needs to be checked in with a psychologist and asked why they living inauthentic lives. They've lost the poetry, the magic. I honestly think they should retire because every album they put out diminished their legacy.

Guns N' Roses

6. Lies (Patience is one of their best pieces of work but the rest is poor)
5. Chinese Democracy (wasn't as bad as the critics will tell you, but it certainly wasn't their best. Street of Dreams and Better are great)
4. Spaghetti Incident (Underrated. Down on the farm and Ain't It Fun are terrific and there are some good covers on there also)
3. Use Your Illusion I (The first album of GNR's peak in music I think - Don't Cry, November rain, Dust n Bones are a few of many good tracks)
2. Appetite For Destruction (Going against the flow here, whilst their biggest hits SCOM, Paradise City and WTTJ feature, it lacks consistency throughout the whole album imo and a few later tracks are meh)
1. Use Your Illusion II (Ah - one of the best albums ever. I cannot fault a single song on here except My World because it's just 84 seconds of trash. You Could Be Mine, Civil War, Knockin on Heavens Door, Estranged, 14 years and an alternative version of Don't Cry feature on here and it's absolutely amazing)

John Mellencamp

1. Scarecrow (1985)- his finest work, all the way through.

2. The Lonesome Jubilee (1987) - like all his albums bar one, is let down by some weaker songs but soars on its best, introducing the fiddle and accordion he made some magic here. Took a massive risk changing tack like this to follow up Scarecrow but pulled it off.

3. Whenever we Wanted (1991) - riddled with hits, he brought back the guitars for this one.

4. Big Daddy (1988) - in the shadow of Lonesome Jubilee this contained some of his finest songwriting, takes a lot of listens to truly appreciate and is quite depressing but I can't put it any lower.

5. Uh-Huh (1983) - the prelude to Scarecrow, crumblin walls, pink houses and authority song were a cracking opening to a short sharp rock album

6. American Fool (1982) - Jack and Diane, Hurts so Good, but not a lot else. He finally ditched his crappy keyboardist with this one.

It's a struggle from here on, I know 4 or 5 of his other 10 or so albums but nothing recent nor worth really talking about, he had his golden decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back