Welcome BigFooty Saints Board Introductions - What's your background in following the Saints?

Remove this Banner Ad

luca77

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
Japan
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was a Fitzroy supporter as a young kid, but wasn't taken to the footy much. When I was old enough to go on my own, I mostly went to Moorabbin to watch games because my parents could drop me off there and then I'd walk back to my grandparents place. Week after week watching the Saints get smashed but Winmar taking a few speccies, Stewie grabbing everything in sight and Plugger kicking a bag. I never saw the Roys play at Moorabbin, but even if they did I think I'd have been barracking for the Saints already. It's a bit sad that we won't get many more supporters for "local" reasons now that we share the Docklands. Growing up in Bentleigh it did really feel like "our team". I wonder if kids down that way still feel the same.

Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Been a lurker here since 2007 only really started posting this year. Love the Saints - used to go to Moorabbin as a kid with my old man in the 80's once or twice a year. My love of footy soured a little after 5 years at SEN when i had to watch every game every week (there's so much crap footy) but been feeling the love again the last couple of years again as i've watched Richo and co develop this group.

Hi There everyone........jumped on BigFooty at the end of the season and I'm hooked.

There's so many great posts and so much great information.

I'm a 56 YO male and have been following the Saints regularly for 45 years...and been a member that long too.If I dug my birth certificate out...it would have a big red stamp on the back saying..."you will be tortured for the rest of your life"......LOL....

The Saints connection came firstly from Mum and my Grandfather....Mum grew up in Ripponlea so they all caught the Tram to the Junction in those days...only found out this year that her brother sold the footy record at home games at the Junction.

I grew up in Moorabbin about 3 long punt kicks from the ground and 90% of kids at my Schools(Southmoor then Moorabbin High) barracked for the Saints...and there also were a lot of schools in the area back then.

I remember as a kid,cars parking down each side of the street(just past Moorabbin Tech) on match days(kick to kick was a risky thing) and by the Horror mid 80's....there were rarely any cars in the street on match days.

The lady next door took me and my bother and her youngest son to a game in the late 60's....my brother and her son really weren't interested in footy so they just slid down the hill on empty beer cartons (plenty of them in those days) all afternoon.
I remember Mrs H sharing a box of Marella Jubes and as it was my first game I was very interested. The next year I was lucky to snag a Junior ticket twice during the season as the Saints gave 3 tics each to the 2 Grade 6 classes(great recruiting even back in those days)....after those 2 games I was hooked and Mum got me a season tic in 1972.

And the rollercoaster began !!!!

I reckon I've seen it all......every ground....every flogging...every win...everything except a flag.......and it's been a hell of a ride.

Even when you go thru those horror years of the mid 80's and four spoons in a row(I remember a mate saying to me that he hadn't seen a win for 2 years)....you stick...that's why I never took any win in the period 2003 thru 2012 for granted and I was so rapt that our group saw the wins in that period.... ...

I remember thinking at the end of 2011 that the club was a smouldering train wreck and more was to come until we bottomed out in 2014.(off and on the field)

We are now in great hands and have a great team that started in 2011(Ameet and Trout)2013(Prez) and 2014(Matt and Richo)....exciting times are ahead......

GO SAINTS.

no1saint66

Premium Platinum
Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Brett
- Grew up in Wheelers Hill, a 15 minute walk home from Wavo, 5 when we won to watch the replay, broke many flags on the way home when we lost.
- Single
- Saints supporter since Year 7, thank you Amanda for my love of the Saints. Our love didn't last, but the Saints will always be in my heart. Member since 99. Converted 3 nephews, 1 niece and my mother to the Saints cause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The name is Matt

- Grew up in the west of Melbourne, surrounded by bloody Dogs supporters. Dad got me into footy when I was about 6, he's a St. Kilda madman (up to 36 years on his membership now I think), been a Saints diehard from the first day I got into footy.

- Although I followed footy for a while before hand, the first game I actually remember attending was the Brisbane game in '04. Wasn't paying much attention to the game at the time, but remember how loud the crowd was and the stadium rocking. Absolutely hooked since that day.

- Was there for every final in Melbourne between 04-11 and remember each one vividly, but missed the '09 granny and the 2010 draw due to financial circumstances. Went to the replay, big fat waste of money that was

- Since 2005 I can count on my hands the number of St. Kilda games in Melbourne I've missed - and I've only missed them because of work. Went to every single home game for about 8 years straight.

- Bleed red, white and black. Music and the St. Kilda FC are the two things I'm most passionate about (not including family/friends obviously)

- And no, I don't condone the use of nangs, just in case anyone was wondering ;)

I hope I'm not being pushy here, however I sincerely hope that everyone who has posted their background behind loving the saints has shown their love by committing to the saints financially in the form of a membership. Whether its a reserved seat, general admission or a three game membership, every bit helps, every membership counts and everyone who gets on board will be contributing positively to our next flag tilt. In this era of plastic clubs and football being run as a business, it is important that everyone who loves the saints is able to commit in this way.

no1saint66

Premium Platinum
Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hope I'm not being pushy here, however I sincerely hope that everyone who has posted their background behind loving the saints has shown their love by committing to the saints financially in the form of a membership. Whether its a reserved seat, general admission or a three game membership, every bit helps, every membership counts and everyone who gets on board will be contributing positively to our next flag tilt. In this era of plastic clubs and football being run as a business, it is important that everyone who loves the saints is able to commit in this way.

1 premium family membership(2 adults and 3 kids) with CS, SC and reserved seats and 1 reserved, SC, ultimate in from of the social club.

HavenMac

Rookie
Nov 16, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham, Dortmund, NY Rangers
Was born in Melbourne, lived in St. Kilda til I was 2, then my parents moved to NZ... Still heard a lot about the suburb (and seeing pictures of a tiny me round Junction Oval, Esplanade etc) so have always had an affinity with the suburb... Naturally followed the team... Plus we have the best uniform in the league!

Bought a supporter membership in 2014, and every year since.

If I was living in Melbourne again I'd shell out on a better membership! Hopefully if the book I'm writing takes off then I'll be able to do that sooner rather than later!

Was born in Melbourne, lived in St. Kilda til I was 2, then my parents moved to NZ... Still heard a lot about the suburb (and seeing pictures of a tiny me round Junction Oval, Esplanade etc) so have always had an affinity with the suburb... Naturally followed the team... Plus we have the best uniform in the league!

Bought a supporter membership in 2014, and every year since.

If I was living in Melbourne again I'd shell out on a better membership! Hopefully if the book I'm writing takes off then I'll be able to do that sooner rather than later!

It's easy to become a member when you live in Melbourne and can get to the games. I admire people like you who sign up as members from a distance - no matter what type of membership- because that is true support. That is strenth through loyalty!

HavenMac

Rookie
Nov 16, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham, Dortmund, NY Rangers
It's easy to become a member when you live in Melbourne and can get to the games. I admire people like you who sign up as members from a distance - no matter what type of membership- because that is true support. That is strenth through loyalty!
Well I think it's a good way of supporting the club (especially one which is small... (though there should be the potential of St Kilda becoming a big club imo))...

Ok spose I should do this.
Most of you know me from the other forum, if not you'll figure it out or joff's will announce at the top of his lungs again.
Came to South Australia in 85 and was told to pick a team by school kids...it was port or glenelg back then and duffle coats were everywhere over here...both colours were s**t imo.
Saw some vfl on tv and saw the red white and black....3 colours much better than 2, then saw plugger and was amazed at a bloke who was that big moving that fast....was used to the whole English football thing.
So I went back to school saying I liked st kilda.....got roundly laughed at, 1 because it was vfl still according to them, and 2......it was sad old st kilda...the never ending losers.
Wtf did I care....I was still following the Hammers in real football.
Sort of followed over the years on and off just watching whenever we were on telly in SA.
Got a bit more serious just before plugger left and real serious come 97 yet still wasn't a member, never really thought or knew about membership as never was on the Internet and stuff back then and being interstate never really heard that stuff
Became interstate member in 2004 and stayed on since then, had various memberships to get the Social Club benefits over the years to make sure of that GF ticket......had to get an 11 game melb membership for a couple of years from memory as there was no premium interstate membership back then so it was the only way to tag on Social Club to get that GF ticket, you know...just in case
Did every final in 2009 and 2010 and cost me a ******* fortune, credit card took a while to pay off i remember that.
Reckon it was the dogs game at the G in 2009 finals I drove there, parked around the back watched the game, and got back in the car and drove the 700kms back home....vowed to never do it again and stay over night nowadays
Made the mrs hand in her crows membership in 2009 for a saints one in 2010...fully converted now
She loves brucey and gilbert does her head in lol.
We get over once a year for a game and make a shopping trip out of it
2017 we plan on doing the same.....and coming back for finals :cool:

Prob left a lot out so just ask if ya wanna know more

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Most of you know me from the other forum, if not you'll figure it out or joff's will announce at the top of his lungs again.
Came to South Australia in 85 and was told to pick a team by school kids...it was port or glenelg back then and duffle coats were everywhere over here...both colours were s**t imo.
Saw some vfl on tv and saw the red white and black....3 colours much better than 2, then saw plugger and was amazed at a bloke who was that big moving that fast....was used to the whole English football thing.
So I went back to school saying I liked st kilda.....got roundly laughed at, 1 because it was vfl still according to them, and 2......it was sad old st kilda...the never ending losers.
Sort of followed over the years on and off just watching whenever we were on telly in SA.
Got a bit more serious just before plugger left and real serious come 97 yet still wasn't a member, never really thought or knew about membership as never was on the Internet and stuff back then and being interstate never really heard that stuff
Became interstate member in 2004 and stayed on since then, had various memberships to get the Social Club benefits over the years to make sure of that GF ticket......had to get an 11 game melb membership for a couple of years from memory as there was no premium interstate membership back then so it was the only way to tag on Social Club to get that GF ticket, you know...just in case
Did every final in 2009 and 2010 and cost me a ******* fortune, credit card took a while to pay off i remember that.
Reckon it was the dogs game at the G in 2009 finals I drove there, parked around the back watched the game, and got back in the car and drove the 700kms back home....vowed to never do it again and stay over night nowadays
Made the mrs hand in her crows membership in 2009 for a saints one in 2010...fully converted now

Your Misses knows her footy...Gilbert is an absolute headfxck.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep perfect way to talk about a great player for our club. You would be a joy to sit next to at the footy with your saints gear on bagging certain players.

Meaning, in one minute you're thinking how well he's going and the next minute you're wondering why the hell he's just kicked it 10 rows back out on the full under no pressure. Wasn't that serious a comment really. GET WORKED UP THOUGH.

Great post there PoppedCorn !!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back