Etihad or MCG - disabled access?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie

Premiership Player
May 12, 2004
Globetrotting
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm looking to take my elderly grandfather to a Dogs game early in the 2017, either to the round 1 game vs Collingwood at the MCG or the round 2 game vs the Swans at Etihad.

Has anyone had any experience taking an elderly or disabled person to either ground? I'm wondering which stadium is more accessible and if you have any other advice I should take into account when deciding which game we aim to attend.

I'm looking to take my elderly grandfather to a Dogs game early in the 2017, either to the round 1 game vs Collingwood at the MCG or the round 2 game vs the Swans at Etihad.

Has anyone had any experience taking an elderly or disabled person to either ground? I'm wondering which stadium is more accessible and if you have any other advice I should take into account when deciding which game we aim to attend.

I was on crutches and then a cane for 2015, and this is what i found:

- mcg car park was hard to navigate given the slope and how muddy it gets. Pay $30 at etihad and you can park underneath. Train for both wasnt bad, although get in early to avoid bulk of the crowd

- for both stadium you dont want ga top deck, stairs too steep to navigate (can be done but its a bitch). You definitely want lower deck, but that means a reserved seat most likely. Call the home club and ask for advice

- pies crowd will be huge, which makes it hard getting around. For this, id personally pick the etihad game

Yeah, the MCG has little issues as raised above, and the much much bigger crowd will make a difference. Anecdotally, I've barely ever seen a disabled person at the 'G but for some reason I see a heap of specialty seats and spaces at Etihad. The latter also has ramps basically everywhere to access the second and third tier... the 'G is mostly stairs and escalators.

The Bulldogs will unfurl the flag at the Swans game as well.

Lifts take you to level 4 at the G from gate 1 and 3. Against the pies I'd go gate three. Disabled seating is located on the same level as the lift or in the back rows of the seating bays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back