Summer Olympics Jumping the Shark

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Cheerleading and Muay Thai granted provisional recognition for 2020.

Cheerleading. :drunk:

I recognize the athleticism and fitness of cheerleading but maybe they should change the name of it to something else.

Then again there is Synchronised Ballet.

I saw this on the news today, Cheerleading is now an Olympic sport lol Let's just add every sporting event into the Olympics now.

Well, the Americans will be happy

CHEERLEADING And the martial art of Muay Thai have received provisional recognition as Olympic sports by the International Olympic Committee on Tuesday.

The two sports will now be able to tap into some IOC funding and take part in a number of programs, including athlete development and anti-doping. They take the number of recognised Olympic sports to 37.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/4c541c4cb400609797d70f4ded5b3bb0

Just because they are recognised as Olympic sports doesn't mean they will get in. There are 36 recognised sports before these 2 if you count baseball and softball as 2 sports but I think they have one international body. These are over and about the 40 odd sports in the summer and winter Olympics.

Dance Sports is a recognised sport ie Latin and Ballroom dancing. My sister went to Denmark in the mid 1990's first for an international dance sport meeting and then she hung around to lobby the IOC as their annual session was also in Denmark. Squash has been trying to get in for 40 years but has no real friends among the IOC members. Cheerleading will take just as long to get in.

Just because they are recognised as Olympic sports doesn't mean they will get in. There are 36 recognised sports before these 2 if you count baseball and softball as 2 sports but I think they have one international body. These are over and about the 40 odd sports in the summer and winter Olympics.

Dance Sports is a recognised sport ie Latin and Ballroom dancing. My sister went to Denmark in the mid 1990's first for an international dance sport meeting and then she hung around to lobby the IOC as their annual session was also in Denmark. Squash has been trying to get in for 40 years but has no real friends among the IOC members. Cheerleading will take just as long to get in.

Hope so. Though it might be included in 2024

I think they need to remove a few sports from the Olympics

The horse fans won't be happy with that comment.

True they might be disappointed they don't get a cure for insomnia every Olympics! Best sleep ever watching those horses prance around!

That's all ch 7 were showing at one stage, I just find it boring

The obstacle course part I don't mind but the other parts....snooze fest!

i dont see why cheerleading cant be an Olympic event...its just another form of gymnastics. personally i dont like anything where judges decide the outcome but its not all about me.

i think the Olympic movement is desperately trying to pull focus from the traditional sports of athletics, cycling and swimming because they're riddled with dopers and no one really believes what they see anymore...and as a result in a few years they probably wont care.
to counter this we've seen the introduction of ruby 7's, tennis and golf, sports which are more skill based and less influenced by doping. so when US athletics, British cycling and Australian swimming are all banned from 2020 hopefully people in these nations will still have a reason to watch.

Cheerleading ! Really ? And I thought that when they added synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics they had gone about as far as they could into silliness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheerleading ! Really ? And I thought that when they added synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics they had gone about as far as they could into silliness.

It's better than the horsey trash the shove down our throats at least.

Let's not get too excited about the announcement of the 2 sports as "Recognised Sports."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_IOC_Recognised_International_Sports_Federations
The Association of IOC Recognised International Sports Federations (ARISF) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-discriminatory organisation constituted through and recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). It was formed in 1983. It is headed by Raffaele Chiulli, who is the President of ARISF.[1]

None of the sports recognised by the IOC in the ARISF are currently in the Olympic sporting programme and the ARISF differs from the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations which has sports which are included in the Summer Olympic programme.

The following 37 governing bodies are members of the ARISF

Sport Federation Web site
Air sports[3]Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI)web
American footballInternational Federation of American Football (IFAF)web
Auto racing Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)web
BandyFederation of International Bandy (FIB)web
Baseball and softbal lWorld Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC)web
Billiard sport[4]World Confederation of Billiard Sports (WCBS)web
BoulesConfédération Mondiale des Sports de Boules (CMSB)web;
BowlingWorld Bowling (WB)web
BridgeWorld Bridge Federation (WBF)web
CheerleadingInternational Cheer Union (ICU)web
ChessFédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE)web
CricketInternational Cricket Council (ICC)web
Dance sportWorld DanceSport Federation (WDSF)web
FloorballInternational Floorball Federation (IFF)web
Flying DiscWorld Flying Disc Federation (WFDF)web
KarateWorld Karate Federation (WKF)web
KorfballInternational Korfball Federation (IKF)web
Life savingInternational Life Saving Federation (ILSF)web
Motorcycle sportFédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM)web
Mountaineering & ClimbingUnion Internationale des Associations d'Alpinisme (UIAA)web
MuaythaiInternational Federation of Muaythai Amateur (IFMA)web
NetballInternational Federation of Netball Associations (IFNA)web
OrienteeringInternational Orienteering Federation (IOF)web
Pelota VascaFédération Internationale de Pelota Vasca (FIPV)web
PoloFederation of International Polo (FIP)web
PowerboatingUnion Internationale Motonautique (UIM)web
RacquetballInternational Racquetball Federation (IRF)web
Roller sports[5]International Roller Sports Federation (FIRS)web
Ski MountaineeringInternational Ski Mountaineering Federation (ISMF)web
Sport climbingInternational Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC)web
SquashWorld Squash Federation (WSF)web
SumoInternational Sumo Federation (ISF)web
SurfingInternational Surfing Association (ISA)web
Tug-of-warTug-of-War International Federation (TWIF)web
Underwater sportsConfédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques (CMAS)web
Water skiingInternational Waterski & Wakeboard Federation (IWWF)web
WushuInternational Wushu Federation (IWUF)web

I read the title and to me the Olympics cause I did a massive essay on it. So from what I gathered on research I would say it wouldn't really say jump the shark when you had Tug of War and Art contests. As a whole the Olympics changed in 1936 and then 1984.

I saw that yesterday on FB! I can't believe it's been that long, I still remember that race with everyone falling down lol

People forget though he still had to race well enough to get into the finals.

I saw that yesterday on FB! I can't believe it's been that long, I still remember watching that race with everyone falling down lol
That would be a replay, because Ch 7 didn't have the satellite booked and weren't showing anything from that evening's events live. I reckon it took 4 hours before they got around to showing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back