Society & Culture Marijuana and it's legal status

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be interesting to see how it goes in the US states that have legalised it like Washington and Colorado. Certainly the other states have had a very close eye on the tax take from it. Some early stats from Colorado:
Colorado was on target to take $125 million in 2015 compared to $44 million in 2014. This does not even consider the reduction in funds required by the state to previously police MJ crimes.
Colorado attracted 71.3 million visitors to the state in 2014 - a record high if you will pardon the pun.
Colorado also reported a 10% drop in burglary from 2013 to 2014.

Fair bit of discussion on this topic in these two threads ;)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/1-1-14-a-beautiful-day-in-colorado-prohibition-over.1045610/

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/colorado-sells-34-million-of-cannabis-3-4-million-goes-to-schools-crime-down-15.1065358/

But happy to contribute here too:)

On the addiction issue its more to do with the person rather than the substance. I'm a daily user (self medicating) have been for the last two years or so. I would liken it to a couple of stubbies of beer or glasses of wine at the end of the day (and I don't touch alcohol anymore). A habit more than an addiction. I don't crave or go nuts if I don't get to have any, which is not often, :D :$ as I'm organised enough that I rarely run out:cool:.

As an example decided to take kids down to see the fireworks the other night and thought it would be fun to have a quick toke beforehand but didn't get the chance. I still had a heap of fun (mainly cos the wife and kids s**t themselves as we had a pretty close vantage point to the fireworks:D:D) and it never crossed my mind that I wasn't able to get high.

As far as legalising it goes, I'm a little wary of the model used in Colorado and other US states that are using legalisation as a tax grab and source of profit. The potential for exploitation and monopolisation of a commodity goes against the function of cannabis both recreationally and medically.

I would prefer to see only commercial scale growing for industrial and food grade hemp, and limited scale growing of medical cannabis, whilst recreational cannabis can only be grown legally on private property by individuals, possibly with limits on plant quantities. Trafficking and sale of recreational cannabis should remain illegal. Consumption in private would be legal, and (smoking) decriminalised in public . The loophole here would be that edibles could still be easily consumed in public without detection.

Having said that this approach may not tackle the problem of black market weed as many tokers probably can't be bothered to grow their own, but I'm just not comfortable with weed becoming a marketable commodity.

Another issue is driving while high. My current solution would be that people who wish to consume and drive have to apply for a cannabis endorsement on their license. Much like drivers of heavy articulated trucks and buses etc have in addition to their regular license. Stoners would have to sit a series of advanced driving tests after consuming a pre-determined quantity of weed and once passed have to display a small leaf sticker or some such on their vehicle. An initial fee plus yearly renewals would provide a source of revenue for our tax addicted government.

For those who are wondering I would compare stoned driving to that of a skilled, cautious 70 year old, but not the dithering indecisive type. I drive to the letter of the law and take extra caution when high. Its frustrating to drive around and see so many people doing dangerous things in their cars - speeding, running reds, failing to indicate, but I would be the one everyone wants off the road. When I'm high I have more of an appreciation that I am in control of a 1 tonne hunk of metal with the potential to kill someone, so treat it with utmost respect.

And just for balance I do admit that when I get high in the evening and get so engrossed in what I'm doing I tend to stay up a fair bit later than is ideal. Something i need to work on but that is not to say it is the weed causing me to do this but more my own self control and not having enough hours in the day to do everything I want :$.
I still get up the next morning and get done what needs to be done which is mainly run my small business, which is ticking along nicely:).

The other "problem" is that the high i get now is a fair bit less intense than when I first started using. I still feel relaxed and enhanced so to speak, but not so often do i get out of control giggly or trippy (losing track of what I have been thinking or doing for a short period of time).

And by the way there is no scientific proof that marijuana is mind altering.

Let's try not to let this thread descend into arguments and just discuss it civilly.

I'm curious about this topic and also a little bit on the fence about it.
I don't smoke weed anymore, but i used to smoke chronically from the age of 16-20
And again from the age of 23-24 (I'm 26 now).
I tried it again last week just one time and it was okay but i found it made the people around me seem really dopey and the whole experience just felt dumb.
However i always enjoyed smoking by myself opposed to with people.

In my experiences of being a daily habitual user it's actually quite a selfish thing.
It's not the ''pass the joint/bong dude'' you see in Movies it was more often every man for himself with their own private stash.
I also found it quite hard to quit both times, i eventually did it.
But it becomes ingrained in your lifestyle and when i tried to quit you can't imagine ever being happy or feeling enjoyment doing something without being high.
So i don't really buy into the whole annoying ''it's not addictive'' stuff that overly pro-marijuana people say.
Anything can be addictive and when it's a powerful mind altering drug it can be a destructive thing to be addicted to.

Now about the legal status of this plant.
If they had weed shops on every corner just like we have bottleshops, would more people partake?
Would we have more high people wandering around? Or would it just the same old stoners as before?
At the end of the day i would be okay with it being legal, as when i want to occasionally partake having to find a dealer after years of being off it just isn't realistic and bloody annoying.

EDIT - Actually i think i might opt for a decriminalization and just medical marijuana instead.

Anyway sorry about the rant, what are your thoughts on this powerful plant???

I'm off to the US tomorrow to understand a little more about the drug, legal status, cultivation and distribution. I hope to have a firm view on my return but I currently sit on the fence between "people have the right to choice vs living in a society has a cost".

If legalised it will definitely need regulation and what that regulation is will likely still be complex.

If we had coffee shops like Amsterdam or dispensaries like the USA I could actually see "problem" or chronic weed use go down.

With it being illegal, a user has more incentive to purchase large quantities in one go, and will need to store it in their house. This encourages more regular use than is healthy (yeah yeah I know a lot of people claim its harmless, but people who use it daily for long periods of time can and do go off the rails whether they acknowledge it or not).

If, like in Amsterdam, a user could just go to the local weed coffeeshop and buy a pre-rolled spliff or a pipe when they wanted it, it would encourage people to only smoke when they really felt like it, rather than having a big stash and using it too much.

I could actually see weed use going down, particularly chronic use. In the Netherlands far less people have problematic weed use, and a smaller percentage of the population use weed than in Australia, USA or New Zealand.

9f7dfb64d0dd14b0f97a24b29d1fb62c.jpg

I will provide a little detail when I return to Oz. It is a really interesting issue and very complex.

Sadly the driver of the car in front of my taxi to the airport was smoking dope whilst driving.

I guess there are always idiots.

I will provide a little detail when I return to Oz. It is a really interesting issue and very complex.

Sadly the driver of the car in front of my taxi to the airport was smoking dope whilst driving.

I guess there are always idiots.
Why? Did he slow you up because he was he was driving below the speed limit?:p

Marijuana use became complex simply because politics has made it so. Prior to prohibition societies worldwide were sensibly utilising the many forms of the plant for a myriad of uses. It was only until prohibition that the the use of marijuana has became problematic.

If we had coffee shops like Amsterdam or dispensaries like the USA I could actually see "problem" or chronic weed use go down.

With it being illegal, a user has more incentive to purchase large quantities in one go, and will need to store it in their house. This encourages more regular use than is healthy (yeah yeah I know a lot of people claim its harmless, but people who use it daily for long periods of time can and do go off the rails whether they acknowledge it or not).

If, like in Amsterdam, a user could just go to the local weed coffeeshop and buy a pre-rolled spliff or a pipe when they wanted it, it would encourage people to only smoke when they really felt like it, rather than having a big stash and using it too much.

I could actually see weed use going down, particularly chronic use. In the Netherlands far less people have problematic weed use, and a smaller percentage of the population use weed than in Australia, USA or New Zealand.

I concur. Through my own observations while over here, cannabis use amongst Dutch citizens is very low given how accessible it is. In fact, there are a lot of young adults here who have told me they've never tried weed at all.

Marijuana use became complex simply because politics has made it so. Prior to prohibition societies worldwide were sensibly utilising the many forms of the plant for a myriad of uses. It was only until prohibition that the the use of marijuana has became problematic.

I have no issue with marijuana use but like all things there is a risk of abuse and irresponsible use.

This is a fascinating subject.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issue with marijuana use but like all things there is a risk of abuse and irresponsible use.

This is a fascinating subject.

Personally I would legalise everything but ice. (and I have never even smoked a joint).Problem with it being illegal is you need to mix in certain circles.

Opium and cocaine were legal as recently as the 50s. The current laws are a crook of s**t. Alcohol and gambling are legal however.

Personally I would legalise everything but ice. (and I have never even smoked a joint).Problem with it being illegal is you need to mix in certain circles.

100% agree

interestingly this is the same issue "responsible" marijuana growers are concerned about in California. It is currently not legal to grow and sell marijuana in California except certain circumstances which no one can comply with. A completely deregulated industry means they are operating alongside criminals.

They want a regulated industry.

I have never tried ice and thus can't comment with any knowledge but on face value it is one of the drugs that should not be legalised. I'm all for regulated heroin and coke but the details are for another thread.

If it were up to me, I would decriminalize and regulate all drugs - harder drugs like heroin and ice included, though I can certainly see why people would be against doing so for the hard stuff. Weed though; how the * that is still considered illegal is beyond me and I've still yet to hear a convincing argument as to why it should be so.

Not sure I agree with heroin and ice being legal. That s**t has sent my mum bat s**t crazy! Weed on the other hand I don't have a problem with. Aslong as their was a Legal (reasonable) driving limit, similar to alcohol. Not sure how they test it or work it out though.

Not sure I agree with heroin and ice being legal. That s**t has sent my mum bat s**t crazy! Weed on the other hand I don't have a problem with. Aslong as their was a Legal (reasonable) driving limit, similar to alcohol. Not sure how they test it or work it out though.

I would suggest all drugs should be legal and free to kill the black market. but obviously with very strict regulations and conditions.

the problem with heroin, is it is almost the perfect drug and by being too good is a real issue for addiction.

the problem with ice, is it is simply s**t.

being on the opposite ends of the spectrum, they are both dangerous and offering them free in a centre 800km NE of Kalgoorlie with two exits.......one a rehab door and the other a box. This strange position kills the illegal trade and supply, provides addicts with a "free" solution (so no need for crime or prostitution to fund a habit) and pulls people out of their environment so than can break cycles and peer groups.

It is such a complex issue and we are all shaped by different experiences with life. I can only imagine the stress watching a loved one battle a life ruled by drugs.

Opium and cocaine were legal as recently as the 50s. The current laws are a crook of s**t. Alcohol and gambling are legal however.

what we going to throw people in jail for having a punt.

On a serious note though it's amazing how we are slowly heading to full legalisation. I personally believe all drugs should be legalised because the war on drugs is the biggest joke, waste of money and crock of s**t happening in the world.

Having said that I believe the message being sent at the moment is marijuana is fine. And I believe like all drugs it is if used sensibly. But I have seen some people who are seem seriously drug fkd because of years of heavy use.

Drugs should be a health issue not a legal issue. So all the money spent on the 'war' should be spent on education and health.

On a serious note though it's amazing how we are slowly heading to full legalisation. I personally believe all drugs should be legalised because the war on drugs is the biggest joke, waste of money and crock of s**t happening in the world.

Having said that I believe the message being sent at the moment is marijuana is fine. And I believe like all drugs it is if used sensibly. But I have seen some people who are seem seriously drug fkd because of years of heavy use.

Drugs should be a health issue not a legal issue. So all the money spent on the 'war' should be spent on education and health.
Yeah there's definitely that sort of vibe. I'm no expert, but have read booze seems to be more harmful. There's this notion though that marijuana is completely harmless, like any other drug you abuse it and there's going to be negative effects on your life, how serious is another matter.

I'm all for legalisation of the majority of s**t, but like booze people need to start understanding that you can't just sit there smoking, popping pills or whatever daily without running into issues down the line.

Ftr I agree with you but.....

I'm not sure where you are getting the message dope is fine.

There is nowhere in the US where it is legal and probably never will be. The are parts of the US where it may seem legal but I can assure you it is not.

Same goes for the changes here in Oz.

My punt is CBD will have a lot to offer but THC will always have concerns.

Ftr I agree with you but.....

I'm not sure where you are getting the message dope is fine.

There is nowhere in the US where it is legal and probably never will be. The are parts of the US where it may seem legal but I can assure you it is not.

Same goes for the changes here in Oz.

My punt is CBD will have a lot to offer but THC will always have concerns.
What concerns? Our bodies have receptors for Cannabinoids. CBD and THC are non-toxic to humans to the degree there is not an immediate negative reaction by the body upon injestion. Pretty much anything we consume can be a danger to our health if consumed irresponsibly but we don't prohibit these things. There needs to be compelling evidence that a substance will cause substantial danger to any person and so far we do not have that for marijuana.

There may well be long term affects of regularly injesting THC, but due to prohibition it has not been properly researched. Until it is fully legalised large scale, unimpeded scientific research cannot take place. Until then the perceived dangers associated with pot would seem to be terribly exaggerated, as most evidence coming out nowadays does not support these claims.

And as far as legality in the US goes my understanding is the states that have legalised either or both medical and recreational pot, are not to be interfered with by federal authorities. So whilst federal prohibition still stands, within those states it is most certainly legal to posses and consume pot. Is this not the case?

What concerns? Our bodies have receptors for Cannabinoids. CBD and THC are non-toxic to humans to the degree there is not an immediate negative reaction by the body upon injestion. Pretty much anything we consume can be a danger to our health if consumed irresponsibly but we don't prohibit these things. There needs to be compelling evidence that a substance will cause substantial danger to any person and so far we do not have that for marijuana.

There may well be long term affects of regularly injesting THC, but due to prohibition it has not been properly researched. Until it is fully legalised large scale, unimpeded scientific research cannot take place. Until then the perceived dangers associated with pot would seem to be terribly exaggerated, as most evidence coming out nowadays does not support these claims.

And as far as legality in the US goes my understanding is the states that have legalised either or both medical and recreational pot, are not to be interfered with by federal authorities. So whilst federal prohibition still stands, within those states it is most certainly legal to posses and consume pot. Is this not the case?

I have no issue with the responsible use of marijuana, so don't take any negativity as a personal negative from me. Yep re CBD but a question mark from me re THC.

Many states have legalised marijuana but it is still highly illegal from a federal level. I have taken a $50m punt in Santa Rosa, that will change in time but it is probably 5 to 10 years away. It is illegal to sell dope, cross borders, bank proceeds, use proceeds and revenues can not be offset by expenses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back