Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Noctorniquet

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers, Perth Wildcats
That is a pretty drastic change in lighting on the interior, would like to see exterior shots to see if the disparity is much from the inside.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Those 6/8 "drop-in" (for want of a better word) rows are at a shallower grade than the rest of the permanent seating. I guess a trade-off for seats close to the action.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I thought this stadium was going to be able to fit a lot more considering the budget. My thoughts were at the 80k area. It's still a pretty good amount and who knows we could see a West Coast vs. Freo Grand Final down the track there could be a compromise in which the GF will be held there...

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Those 6/8 "drop-in" (for want of a better word) rows are at a shallower grade than the rest of the permanent seating. I guess a trade-off for seats close to the action.

What i've noticed at Docklands is that the first few rows of seats are usually empty for rectangular sports because they're restricted view due to the advertising boards at the side of the field. It's the same at Subiaco for rugby and soccer games. I wonder if it's going to be the same at Perth Stadium given those seats are going to be low to the ground.

It would be so government to put temporary seats in that aren't going to be filled.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
What i've noticed at Docklands is that the first few rows of seats are usually empty for rectangular sports because they're restricted view due to the advertising boards at the side of the field. It's the same at Subiaco for rugby and soccer games. I wonder if it's going to be the same at Perth Stadium given those seats are going to be low to the ground.

It would be so government to put temporary seats in that aren't going to be filled.

Sitting on the last row of seating on the Southern wing at Subiaco was surprisingly poor viewing for rugby because the players backline obscured the action. Great for football, poor for rugby. You need the elevation more for rugby. I would only buy seats in the permanent seating area for rugby. Probably OK for soccer.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought this stadium was going to be able to fit a lot more considering the budget. My thoughts were at the 80k area. It's still a pretty good amount and who knows we could see a West Coast vs. Freo Grand Final down the track there could be a compromise in which the GF will be held there...
Well short sighted government as usual out this way in WA.

Thats a definite no to the idea of moving the grand final a week before because two WA team got in. GTFO. The Grand Final should be bid on and set in stone years in advance. Perth will be upgradeable to 70-80, Adelaide Oval has the grass hill which could be upgraded to fit another 20k and then Sydney has an 88k stadium. A grand final should be played in all of these cities regardless if both teams from the state are in the GF. Come make the trek over here for a grand final week. You'll have heaps of fun like when interstaters go to Melbourne each year. Bring the game and the entertainment that comes with it to the fans in each of these states that can't afford to go across to Melbourne for the Grand Final.

royalsfan

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2005
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I went to the Wildcats at Perth Arena for the first time last night and was amazed how great the venue is.
I was anti the new stadium as I am happy with Subi ( probably because I have fond memories of many great occasions over the years) but now I can't wait to see footy at Burswood. I guess I will even accept the fact I will have to use public transport to get there.
Just on the Wildcats, the whole event is fantastic. From the live band, the mascot flying in from the rafters, the dancing girls, the continual music - I loved it. My grandson now wants to play basketball. He says he still loves going to the footy but now wants to be a Wildcats member too! There was a lot of young people and kids at the game - a larger percentage than I see at AFL games at Subi.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I went to the Wildcats at Perth Arena for the first time last night and was amazed how great the venue is.
I was anti the new stadium as I am happy with Subi ( probably because I have fond memories of many great occasions over the years) but now I can't wait to see footy at Burswood. I guess I will even accept the fact I will have to use public transport to get there.
Just on the Wildcats, the whole event is fantastic. From the live band, the mascot flying in from the rafters, the dancing girls, the continual music - I loved it. My grandson now wants to play basketball. He says he still loves going to the footy but now wants to be a Wildcats member too! There was a lot of young people and kids at the game - a larger percentage than I see at AFL games at Subi.

Yep Basketball needs to have a big show to hide the boringness of the game. Footy doesn't need that quite as much.
I went to the Entertainment Centre in the early 90s and was also impressed by the razamatazz of the night.

I hope there is enough room at the new stadium for the kids to go and see their heroes. West Coast and now Fremantle have had older fans occupying the seats for years, which makes it hard for a kid to get to the game. And WAFL is not the spectacle that AFL is.

Adelaide oval will never get rid of its grass bank. Those Moreton bay figs are heritage listed.

Interestingly enough tho, is Adelaide oval the only ground in Aus where the pitch runs the same direction as the Footy field?
Nope SCG and Bellerive in Tassie are north/south for both. Kardinia Park will be north/south for cricket when they put in a pitch for T20 games. Manuka in Canberra is north/south for both. Re the other minor grounds Traeger Park in Alice is north/south for both and I'm pretty sure Darwin and Gold Coast grounds don't have a cricket pitch. I reckon Launceston and Cairns do, but I'm not sure, but the footy runs north/south at those grounds.

Docklands has the roof so running the cricket pitch east west doesn't matter. I'd hate to be playing test or first class cricket at ANZ in Sydney on an east/west pitch but for T20 and day night ODI's no big deal.

Last edited:

Noctorniquet

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers, Perth Wildcats
Geez, I hope it's ready; I'll be there if it is.
I think you me and the best part of 60k people will be there on day 1 if it is indeed ready to go. A day at the cricket is the opportune time to wander around the whole stadium and get a good look at it from different angles. It is obvious from the TBD venue that CA will give it until the last possible moment to be ready to host the test.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like CA definitely want an Ashes Test at the new stadium, Perth locked in as the 3rd test 14th of December at which point in time CA hopes the stadium is available.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/2...t/news-story/fdcc778b5a4f059171af37b6df2bdff7
As much as I'd love this. I don't think we should rush the stadium for one test match. We have seen whats happened with the last bunch of public infrastructure this government has opened and they've all been absolutely unready for use. If CA are really keen just give us the 5th Test even though I always hate the 5th test when a series is over (unless we can go 5-0).

This Stadium needs to be ready for he 2018 AFL Season. Any other deadline before that is a luxury.

upload_2016-12-13_10-50-0.png

Back