The Great Injustice - The Grand Final Contract thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You blokes are absolute *******s if you'd be happy to poison some 100+ year old trees just so you can pull your dick every 5 years to watch a grand final in Adelaide that your teams probably won't even make
You blokes are absolute *silly people if you believe the Grand Final should be played in Melbourne every year. Why should 10 teams get such an advantage every year? Why should the fans outside of Victoria be neglected?

Haha the Parklands greenies probably already have it set up now to stop people doing that so by 2035 they will be well and truly prepared, but it will be interesting from about 2032 onwards to see the political games played around where the GF's will be played post 2037.
Yeah it will be extremely interesting. You could bet your bottom dollar the MCC and the State Government will be doing everything they can to block the move. Will be even more interesting if clubs come out and actually have the position that the game should never move.

I'm happy with the capacity of the stadium, but I think its important for the growth of the game as a national sport for the grand final to be shared around, even if its not every year. In the big picture the growth of the game is of greater benefit to the AFL than the loss of revenue an interstate grand final would generate
A hundred percent. All the English, Kiwis and Safas that migrated to Perth and live around Joondalup and Rockingham aren't playing AFL. We need to get this kids now.

You blokes are absolute ****silly people if you believe the Grand Final should be played in Melbourne every year. Why should 10 teams get such an advantage every year? Why should the fans outside of Victoria be neglected?

Simple questions for you:

1) how much coin do you think it will cost to expand AO and Perth to an appropriate "gf capacity"

2) how much coin will the state govts need to pay each year to the afl for this to happen (hint, seven figures is too low)

3) given the above two numbers, how is this money justified by any state govt for one game every five years?

1) how much coin do you think it will cost to expand AO and Perth to an appropriate "gf capacity"

2) how much coin will the state govts need to pay each year to the afl for this to happen (hint, seven figures is too low)

3) given the above two numbers, how is this money justified by any state govt for one game every five years?

:thumbsu: Tige.

The pressure on our GF location will come from the $mils the NRL will bank from selling (aka monetising) the NRL GF - including the Vic Govt/MCC :).

:thumbsu: Tige.

The pressure on our GF location will come from the $mils the NRL will bank from selling (aka monetising) the NRL GF - including the Vic Govt/MCC :).

I dont think they will get as much as they want (the nrl). Going to SoO is one thing, im not sure if they will get 60k+ outside sydney/brisbane

If you believe that the integrity of the sport is important then tell me why 10 teams should get a significant advantage in the grand final each year?

Please also tell me how many times is the MCG sold out a year? 3 maybe? And what is the average attendance at the MCG for all events held there?

Considering it would only need to be an upgrade of which every 5 years you'll have a festival of football where by up to 40k football fans could embark on a city each year. Get out of Melbourne bro. I think that is what is called getting a return on your investment. The fact the the Federal government gives money to these states to build stadiums, suggests to me that we should be trying to utilise these all and get a return on investment and boost sports tourism in each state.

Perth is expected to have over 4 million people by 2050, similar to Melbourne now. I guess it's not justifiable to have a bigger stadium by then.

It's not like Melbourne wont have GF's your going to be hosting them every second year or even at a greater ratio. Let other states have a crack. All i is, is you don't want to share. You love the fact that GF weekend is in your city, you get that vibe, it's amazing. I've been in Melbourne for it and I love GF weekend. It's the most significant event in Australia, a celebration of Australian culture. Why should that be kept in Melbourne and not shared with the people and fans around Australia. We used to have big Grand Finals here with our state league and I'm sure Adelaide did too, but now we don't. Yes the AFL is a rebranded and evolved VFL, however If a brand New League had been formed with new teams or existing state league teams forming a league, there is no doubt the GF would be rotated once Stadiums would be up to a minimum requirement.

It's a very selfish thing to just throw in the negatives of why it shouldn't happen. Why not throw up solutions of how to bring the Grand Final to the fans.

For the last two years we've heard all this complaining in the Media about the AFL not respecting the fans in Melbourne and how they need to do more for the fans. FFS they have neglected the fans interstate for ever and a day, how about you see that there are fans everywhere else that have been neglected and treated way worse for far longer by the AFL. WA and SA are footy mad. Bring the game to the fans! Reconnect with fans West of Melbourne.

Heritage listing + parklands society idiots + adelaide = almost certainly never going to happen.
With that attitude, of course not. But by 2032 there are going to be people working that could understand the logic more. Nothing big has ever come easy and has taken time. Plant the seed now. Get the conversation rolling. Negotiate with them and compromise. If the government throw up increasing size of National Parks or adding new heritage forests and national parks surely losing a small area around the Oval is a compromise worth having in the grand scheme of things.

With that attitude, of course not. But by 2032 there are going to be people working that could understand the logic more. Nothing big has ever come easy and has taken time. Plant the seed now. Get the conversation rolling. Negotiate with them and compromise. If the government throw up increasing size of National Parks or adding new heritage forests and national parks surely losing a small area around the Oval is a compromise worth having in the grand scheme of things.

How about you come to adelaide and see how you go doing it.

If you believe that the integrity of the sport is important then tell me why 10 teams should get a significant advantage in the grand final each year?

Please also tell me how many times is the MCG sold out a year? 3 maybe? And what is the average attendance at the MCG for all events held there?

Considering it would only need to be an upgrade of which every 5 years you'll have a festival of football where by up to 40k football fans could embark on a city each year. Get out of Melbourne bro. I think that is what is called getting a return on your investment. The fact the the Federal government gives money to these states to build stadiums, suggests to me that we should be trying to utilise these all and get a return on investment and boost sports tourism in each state.

Perth is expected to have over 4 million people by 2050, similar to Melbourne now. I guess it's not justifiable to have a bigger stadium by then.

It's not like Melbourne wont have GF's your going to be hosting them every second year or even at a greater ratio. Let other states have a crack. All i is, is you don't want to share. You love the fact that GF weekend is in your city, you get that vibe, it's amazing. I've been in Melbourne for it and I love GF weekend. It's the most significant event in Australia, a celebration of Australian culture. Why should that be kept in Melbourne and not shared with the people and fans around Australia. We used to have big Grand Finals here with our state league and I'm sure Adelaide did too, but now we don't. Yes the AFL is a rebranded and evolved VFL, however If a brand New League had been formed with new teams or existing state league teams forming a league, there is no doubt the GF would be rotated once Stadiums would be up to a minimum requirement.

It's a very selfish thing to just throw in the negatives of why it shouldn't happen. Why not throw up solutions of how to bring the Grand Final to the fans.

For the last two years we've heard all this complaining in the Media about the AFL not respecting the fans in Melbourne and how they need to do more for the fans. FFS they have neglected the fans interstate for ever and a day, how about you see that there are fans everywhere else that have been neglected and treated way worse for far longer by the AFL. WA and SA are footy mad. Bring the game to the fans! Reconnect with fans West of Melbourne.

This is all about the wa govt agreeing to pay eight to nine figures to increase the size of the stadium, and then a sum def in the eight figures to the afl each time the gf is played there.

If there is no political willingness to take this cost on, youre pissing in the wind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it will be extremely interesting. You could bet your bottom dollar the MCC and the State Government will be doing everything they can to block the move. Will be even more interesting if clubs come out and actually have the position that the game should never move.

I think at the very very least, the MCC and Victorian government should be made to pay through the nose for it.

This is all about the wa govt agreeing to pay eight to nine figures to increase the size of the stadium, and then a sum def in the eight figures to the afl each time the gf is played there.

If there is no political willingness to take this cost on, youre pissing in the wind
No this is about growing the game in non AFL states and the integrity of the competition. The AFL's last TV rights deal was $2.5B, and that is with a very limited following in 2 of the 3 largest states in Australia. The benefits of growing the game in these areas outweighs the drop in revenue generated by a grand final every few years. Look at the bigger picture.

No this is about growing the game in non AFL states and the integrity of the competition. The AFL's last TV rights deal was $2.5B, and that is with a very limited following in 2 of the 3 largest states in Australia. The benefits of growing the game in these areas outweighs the drop in revenue generated by a grand final every few years. Look at the bigger picture.

How does any of that convince the wa govt to spend tens of millions of dollars to make it happen?

How does any of that convince the wa govt to spend tens of millions of dollars to make it happen?
I'm not saying the WA govt needs to spend tens of millions of dollars.
The size of the stadium will be fine as it is, the WA government would contribute a sum of money to the AFL to bring a GF to Perth, as it would for most large events, but the AFL would also need to be prepared to generate a smaller amount of revenue from the grand final for that year, in the interests of growing the game.

I'm not saying the WA govt needs to spend tens of millions of dollars.
The size of the stadium will be fine as it is, the WA government would contribute a sum of money to the AFL to bring a GF to Perth, as it would for most large events, but the AFL would also need to be prepared to generate a smaller amount of revenue from the grand final for that year, in the interests of growing the game.

Lol - the afl accept LESS revenue??? Have you met the afl?

Any change will revolve around a revenue increase for the league, not a reduction. Aflpa and the afl will not accept cuts

Lol - the afl accept LESS revenue??? Have you met the afl?

Any change will revolve around a revenue increase for the league, not a reduction. Aflpa and the afl will not accept cuts
You still don't get it? The AFL would accept less revenue from a single game, so they can generate more revenue with TV rights deals etc.

You still don't get it? The AFL would accept less revenue from a single game, so they can generate more revenue with TV rights deals etc.

Tv rights wont change short term. Mcc/vic govt will definitely up their bid (imo) for the next deal. Thinking the afl will ignore this and agree to accept less than today is fanciful

TV rights will never be subject to where the grand final is held. Not least because the deals are done for 5-6 years ahead, and if the grand final is changing every year evidently you expect them to renegotiate it depending on where its held.

Tv rights wont change short term. Mcc/vic govt will definitely up their bid (imo) for the next deal. Thinking the afl will ignore this and agree to accept less than today is fanciful

Well you've got the AFL presently holding out their hands for hundreds of millions to renovate the area around Docklands, You'll have negotiations to rebuild the Southern Stand at some point before 2037 too. Compromise is the name of the game, and the AFL has some big bargaining chips.

Well you've got the AFL presently holding out their hands for hundreds of millions to renovate the area around Docklands, You'll have negotiations to rebuild the Southern Stand at some point before 2037 too. Compromise is the name of the game, and the AFL has some big bargaining chips.

Absolutely. Vic govt have said previously keeping the gf at the g is their biggest long term priority major event wise. A deal will be done

Absolutely. Vic govt have said previously keeping the gf at the g is their biggest long term priority major event wise. A deal will be done
So it's ok for the Vic Government to spend money on this but not the WA government?

All it is you don't want to give it up because it is an amazing week. You have small scale views. You're the "ALT Right" of football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back