Universal Love Ross Lyonisms

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why I get so annoyed with muppets like Silent Alarm who come on here, read a small snippet of something and fly off about how Ross needs to "man up". If he had bothered to actually listen to or read the interview he would have seen that Ross did explain exactly what the club is thinking.

Shallow analysis is shallow analysis and should be called out.
Oh leave him alone, he went to uni after all. He's used to being spoon-fed information.

This is why I get so annoyed with muppets like Silent Alarm who come on here, read a small snippet of something and fly off about how Ross needs to "man up". If he had bothered to actually listen to or read the interview he would have seen that Ross did explain exactly what the club is thinking.

Shallow analysis is shallow analysis and should be called out.
Ross Lyon wants to be defensive.

He'll find any dumb excuse, even a one-off match like the Grand Final, to justify it.

I'll say it before, say it again, say it forever... until Ross delivers something tangible, my cynicism has a right to exist. I'm not coming on here flying off the gasket like some Hawthorn fans were after they traded out Lewis and Mitchell. FFS.

Oh leave him alone, he went to uni after all. He's used to being spoon-fed information.
Is a moderator going to step in here? Blatant attacking the man. Irrelevant to the thread, irrelevant to the club.

Or does this thread no longer have one? Seems random mob mentality these days.

He'll find any dumb excuse, even a one-off match like the Grand Final, to justify it.

I'll say it before, say it again, say it forever... until Ross delivers something tangible, my cynicism has a right to exist. I'm not coming on here flying off the gasket like some Hawthorn fans were after they traded out Lewis and Mitchell. FFS.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion and to your cynicism. We all view things differently and none of us is always right or always wrong.

You will find you'll be a lot better received if you express those views in a less obnoxious style, and particularly if you refrain from bagging OUR club out on the main board. Seeing guys like DeFacto and all the usual West Coast flogs liking and agreeing with your views about Fremantle must surely set off alarm bells???

Is a moderator going to step in here? Blatant attacking the man. Irrelevant to the thread, irrelevant to the club.

Or does this thread no longer have one? Seems random mob mentality these days.
Soft as s**t SA - there is no abuse there. As I have said, you love to dish it out but you hate even a hint of it coming back at you.

You are the Big Footy equivalent of Cale Morton.

Soft as s**t SA - there is no abuse there. As I have said, you love to dish it out but you hate even a hint of it coming back at you.

You are the Big Footy equivalent of Cale Morton.
Mate I give it back and blokes on here report me for going back at them.

Don't call me soft when you're someone who reckons the Hills aren't soft...

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and to your cynicism. We all view things differently and none of us is always right or always wrong.

You will find you'll be a lot better received if you express those views in a less obnoxious style, and particularly if you refrain from bagging OUR club out on the main board. Seeing guys like DeFacto and all the usual West Coast flogs liking and agreeing with your views about Fremantle must surely set off alarm bells???
I generally explain my position. This 'arrogance' is a myth born from the fact I have to ardently defend the reaction my, yes, negativity cops. I have to be like this to keep my position upheld and to stop people giving it s**t. There is a myth based on a few years ago, where people continue to bag me based on an old persona...

Whatever, I've had it with this board. I'll never get through so long as 90% of you still think Ross ******* Lyon is the answer. Makes me sick to think how lillylivered, mediocrity-accepting, and limp this club's supporters generally seem to be (what's the bet I get reported for this?). High accountability, high standards, please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I generally explain my position. This 'arrogance' is a myth born from the fact I have to ardently defend the reaction my, yes, negativity cops. I have to be like this to keep my position upheld and to stop people giving it s**t. There is a myth based on a few years ago, where people continue to bag me based on an old persona...

Whatever, I've had it with this board. I'll never get through so long as 90% of you still think Ross ******* Lyon is the answer. Makes me sick to think how lillylivered, mediocrity-accepting, and limp this club's supporters generally seem to be (what's the bet I get reported for this?). High accountability, high standards, please.
See that's where you lose everyone SA - resorting to generalizations that we are all sycophants, pencil necks, mediocrity accepting etc. Prior to that it was a quite reasonable post defending your position.

I hope you stick around, but like I have said if you post what I consider crap (an it is only my opinion) I will call you out on it. For the record I have never reported one of your posts, but if I could report a post for being absolute pus I would have reported your hatchet job on the club on the main board a while ago. Other than that I have quite enjoyed having your overly negative view as a counterpoint to some of the overly positive views.

I think you're right, Lyon does want to be "defensive". I think it's a sensible view based on a deep understanding that a solid defensive structure is fundamental to a successful side. Good defence keeps you in the contest. It's not everything, but leak soft goals and things turn pear-shaped quickly. Looking at our list when he joined, it was a reasonable starting point.
This year's grand final and finals series were pretty instructive to me. Some pundits say it is all about the ability to score heavily, but this year the finals were dominated by defences and the most defensive sides prevailed. Why ignore that clear fact?
When you say Ross has not delivered anything tangible, you merely mean he has not won a premiership. So, one genius, 17 dumb coaches each year? I don't buy that view.
I think it's very easy to sit back and carp about failures, but Ross has actually overseen what is easily the most successful period at our club.

Yeah the quote in isolation is crap, shame on the person who took it out of context.
Sorry I thought this was the Ross Lyon one liner thread... not the wall of text, full transcript of an interview anyone who spends their time on this board should have surely watched or read already thread :$

The "lap of the wave" quote is the Lyonism, the rest is just filler.

Last edited:
See that's where you lose everyone SA - resorting to generalizations that we are all sycophants, pencil necks, mediocrity accepting etc. Prior to that it was a quite reasonable post defending your position.

I hope you stick around, but like I have said if you post what I consider crap (an it is only my opinion) I will call you out on it. For the record I have never reported one of your posts, but if I could report a post for being absolute pus I would have reported your hatchet job on the club on the main board a while ago. Other than that I have quite enjoyed having your overly negative view as a counterpoint to some of the overly positive views.
Well, for the most part, I am seen as overly negative. A quote bagging me out is full of likes, even if it's riddled with strawmans and base-level retorts about me being a hipster or something completely off-kilter.

I think you're right, Lyon does want to be "defensive". I think it's a sensible view based on a deep understanding that a solid defensive structure is fundamental to a successful side. Good defence keeps you in the contest. It's not everything, but leak soft goals and things turn pear-shaped quickly. Looking at our list when he joined, it was a reasonable starting point.
This year's grand final and finals series were pretty instructive to me. Some pundits say it is all about the ability to score heavily, but this year the finals were dominated by defences and the most defensive sides prevailed. Why ignore that clear fact?
When you say Ross has not delivered anything tangible, you merely mean he has not won a premiership. So, one genius, 17 dumb coaches each year? I don't buy that view.
I think it's very easy to sit back and carp about failures, but Ross has actually overseen what is easily the most successful period at our club.
Yes – a good backline is integral and is the basis to a solid midfield and a good team overall. I get that and agree with it completely. But there is little denying Ross has a limited interest in forwards and goal kicking, and after one year he's pretty much dropped the idea of it. Yes it was an unsuccessful year but coming into the new season, there's McCarthy, another year into Apeness, Kersten, and Hill.

Also, there is only one team ultimately successful and 'dominant' in finals – the premiers. The Bulldogs had an okay backline but Buddy wasn't very good at all, Tiprat is quite simply utter s**t, and there is also the golden idea that the Bullies had a 7 million dollar key position forward acquired only 12 months before. You really can't say they were a defensive team at all, they were pretty balanced and lucky enough to peak at the right time, have heaps of hype and belief, and are emotionally-charged. They also brought in Cloke, who is obviously pretty bog average, and have Crameri returning as well. They lost a flag winning backman to Freo and didn't really like-for-like replace him.

I just think if a coach is going to be so intensely focused on one single gameplan, then that gameplan should be really really successful. Uh, it ain't.

What if they're silent?

Well, for the most part, I am seen as overly negative. A quote bagging me out is full of likes, even if it's riddled with strawmans and base-level retorts about me being a hipster or something completely off-kilter.

Yes – a good backline is integral and is the basis to a solid midfield and a good team overall. I get that and agree with it completely. But there is little denying Ross has a limited interest in forwards and goal kicking, and after one year he's pretty much dropped the idea of it. Yes it was an unsuccessful year but coming into the new season, there's McCarthy, another year into Apeness, Kersten, and Hill.

Also, there is only one team ultimately successful and 'dominant' in finals – the premiers. The Bulldogs had an okay backline but Buddy wasn't very good at all, Tiprat is quite simply utter s**t, and there is also the golden idea that the Bullies had a 7 million dollar key position forward acquired only 12 months before. You really can't say they were a defensive team at all, they were pretty balanced and lucky enough to peak at the right time, have heaps of hype and belief, and are emotionally-charged. They also brought in Cloke, who is obviously pretty bog average, and have Crameri returning as well. They lost a flag winning backman to Freo and didn't really like-for-like replace him.

I just think if a coach is going to be so intensely focused on one single gameplan, then that gameplan should be really really successful. Uh, it ain't.
Sometimes the difference between victory and defeat is up to the players - if they didn't choke / had have settled earlier, we could have had that flag in 2013 and Ross would be hero. As it stands, he had the second best win/loss ratio for the previous four years before 2016. Will he ever win a GF? Nope. It's up to the players to deliver on the big stage - just like the dogs did.

Can Ross rebuild a list and give the players a chance at a flag - who knows. Hopefully we'll know by 2020. Bar 2016, I've enjoyed watching the Dockers play and be competitive. Ross wants to be higher scoring - just needs the personell and coaching staff to make it happen. Bennell and Yarran would definitely help but LOLZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back