Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'd be damned an AFL footballer wanted to continue playing the code he loves despite not making success at the top level. Perhaps Butcher has a girlfriend or settled life in Adelaide that he'd rather stay than move back to Melbourne/Maffra. Bizzare post.

Or maybe he's exactly what I've always thought he was - a paycheck player who only did the bare minimum every week because he was convinced by people that he was being hard done by so he never once thought to work on his craft.

Honestly, I don't even have a problem with him playing in the SANFL. He can do what he likes. Good luck to him. What I have a problem with is the litany of posts going over the same garbage over and over about how he could have been Nick Reiwoldt or even some sort of serviceable key forward if he was just given the chance. He was crap at SANFL level playing an AFL style game. He never once dominated a game in the entire time he spent with the club. Six goals? Four of them would have been from goal line handoffs from teammates. Could never string together a consistent run of performances in the SANFL - but it's the clubs fault. Or it's Hinkley's fault. "Just give him a go!" Please.

Sick and tired of this sacred cow getting a free pass on this board while other players who were just as bad get crucified. We gave games to lesser players did we? Maybe those 'lesser players' proved they actually gave a s**t about Port Adelaide instead of just saying they did like Butcher. And yet you've got people on here saying how they will actively support against Port when he plays. No other player who is no longer with the club still has an active thread on the main board dedicated to him.

The idea of Butcher and the reality of Butcher are two VERY different things. We need another tall forward? Yep, can get behind that. Butcher wasn't it, and would never be it, so why keep bringing him into the conversation as if he would suddenly become something he isn't?

I tried...I really did...to ignore it. But every time I open this forum up, there it is, staring you in the face: 'Butcher'. And you just know that someone has made a post about how badly we treated him, how we failed him, how it's everyone else's fault. After all, how could we have spent so much time caring about a player who performed worse than Damon White and it not be the fault of the club?

You all know it too. That's why the argument is always about how he would have 'improved structure' - like as if building a house with termite infested wood is a great idea.

You don't build good structure with shoddy materials. You go out and get new ones.

Or maybe he's exactly what I've always thought he was - a paycheck player who only did the bare minimum every week because he was convinced by people that he was being hard done by so he never once thought to work on his craft.

Honestly, I don't even have a problem with him playing in the SANFL. He can do what he likes. Good luck to him. What I have a problem with is the litany of posts going over the same garbage over and over about how he could have been Nick Reiwoldt or even some sort of serviceable key forward if he was just given the chance. He was crap at SANFL level playing an AFL style game. He never once dominated a game in the entire time he spent with the club. Six goals? Four of them would have been from goal line handoffs from teammates. Could never string together a consistent run of performances in the SANFL - but it's the clubs fault. Or it's Hinkley's fault. "Just give him a go!" Please.

Sick and tired of this sacred cow getting a free pass on this board while other players who were just as bad get crucified. We gave games to lesser players did we? Maybe those 'lesser players' proved they actually gave a s**t about Port Adelaide instead of just saying they did like Butcher. And yet you've got people on here saying how they will actively support against Port when he plays. No other player who is no longer with the club still has an active thread on the main board dedicated to him.

The idea of Butcher and the reality of Butcher are two VERY different things. We need another tall forward? Yep, can get behind that. Butcher wasn't it, and would never be it, so why keep bringing him into the conversation as if he would suddenly become something he isn't?

I tried...I really did...to ignore it. But every time I open this forum up, there it is, staring you in the face: 'Butcher'. And you just know that someone has made a post about how badly we treated him, how we failed him, how it's everyone else's fault. After all, how could we have spent so much time caring about a player who performed worse than Damon White and it not be the fault of the club?

You all know it too. That's why the argument is always about how he would have 'improved structure' - like as if building a house with termite infested wood is a great idea.

You don't build good structure with shoddy materials. You go out and get new ones.
LEAVE JOHNNY ALONE!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Janus has been broken.

If only he was as critical toward literally every other aspect of our football club in the last two years.

Yeah nah though, she'll be right. Ryder... And hitouts... Jake Neade two way running... Premiership

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Janus has been broken.

If only he was as critical toward literally every other aspect of our football club in the last two years.

Yeah nah though, she'll be right. Ryder... And hitouts... Jake Neade two way running... Premiership

something something heatmaps and jurgen klopp.

Last edited:

We don't agree that often but agree 100% with this. Butcher should have chosen a different sport.

Janus has been broken.

something something heatmaps and jurgen klopp.

The difference between me and Butcher apologists is that if it doesn't work out this year and we don't at least make finals I'll happily put up my hand and say I was wrong. Just like I did with Moore and Young.

I've been super critical of the attitude players have shown over the past two years. My view is exactly the same as it is with anything - unless you give it your all, as we did against the Dogs, how can you judge the actual value of anything you do?

Butcher never gave it his all. That's why he had no value in the end.

The difference between me and Butcher apologists is that if it doesn't work out this year and we don't at least make finals I'll happily put up my hand and say I was wrong. Just like I did with Moore and Young.

I've been super critical of the attitude players have shown over the past two years. My view is exactly the same as it is with anything - unless you give it your all, as we did against the Dogs, how can you judge the actual value of anything you do?

Butcher never gave it his all. That's why he had no value in the end.
I don't really see him as someone who didn't try his best more someone who's best just wasn't good enough it happens, how much the kicking problem evolved into a mentally frazzled state at AFL level is anyones guess but I think it played a big part. I can see how if you were that hung up on one discipline of the game other areas would suffer but blokes with a stronger mental approach have overcome similar problems.

At the end of the day it all means the same thing not good enough but no doubt knowing this board he will hit the top of the "all-time list of Port Pear development failures" .. If Eddy comes in and contributes on the scoreboard while you know actually showing a defensive aspect to his game I'm sure this thread will peter out somewhat.

Even though this the Butch thread ;), I'm still coming to terms with Liam Jurrah's step ladder ( aka the Grew :rolleyes: ) having his name on a locker at Alberton, which unfortunately may confirm the lack of quality of the list, the coaching, and selection policies of the time. :(

I was of the opinion the Grew would probably have played about 80 AFL games, but it's obviously 100 or more, so there you go. :)

He was one of a number of players who barely fired a shot after the 2007 gf debacle, but it took Choco the better part of 2 seasons to admit there were players who were carrying baggage from that day, and even longer to drop some of them, and the Grew wasn't the only one to be gifted AFL games when they should have been sent back to the sanfl to find form.

If Butcher played for Sydney or Hawthorn, he'd have played a stack of extra games, even if he had been delisted. Sam Reid is still on Sydney's list after being taken in the same draft as Butcher, being given 98 games and averaging less than a goal a game, because Sydney are patient and understand that bigs need time to develop at AFL level.

Mitch Thorp

Name me the last high production SANFL key forward who went on to have a good AFL career. It's probably Scott Hodges, if you count his AFL career as good. Eddy was a good get and I think he'll do well for us, but he's a complete unknown at AFL level thus far and there is absolutely zero history of good SANFL key forwards becoming good AFL key forwards in the modern era.

If we had got in, in 1990 then Scott Hodges could quite possibly have won a Coleman medal. The Crows treated him like total s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know someone who saw a lot of Butcher as a junior. He said Butch only tried when he felt like it and couldn't be bothered chasing. He never rated him as a Future afl player.

Hawthorn have given Schoenmakers 101 games and he's still on their list. Just sayin' ...
You mean the same Schoenmakers who has missed three years of football with injury, and who was one of their best in the 2015 final series when he returned, helping them to another premiership? I'd take him on a heartbeat!

You mean the same Schoenmakers who has missed three years of football with injury, and who was one of their best in the 2015 final series when he returned, helping them to another premiership? I'd take him on a heartbeat!
My point is they showed faith in him despite numerous clangerfests because they understand talls take longer to develop and need extended runs at AFL level without being dropped to the reserves after one or two bad games.

My point is they showed faith in him despite numerous clangerfests because they understand talls take longer to develop and need extended runs at AFL level without being dropped to the reserves after one or two bad games.

Clangerfests are never the problem if it looks as though you're at least trying to follow instructions at all times.

I'll point back to the Brisbane game that every Butcher fan jizzed about because he was sooooo dominant. Bassett came on radio the next day and hosed down the idea that he had a fantastic game because he neglected defensive actions and left it up to others to do the work for him.

Players at Hawthorn and Sydney know the level to which they need to perform and what is a fundamental requirement to get a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back