The Precinct at Alberton (Formerly The Port Club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive had this conversation with people down the club. problem with setting up a second pos counter is that the kitchen is too small to take that many orders at once. So catch 22 really stand in line or wait longer for food.

its like that on a big talking footy night but we all know that its going to happen everyone orders at the same time i usually wait an hour have a couple of beers and then order

Its all about the next upgrade now to fix the problems the clubs have at the port club really.

Ive had this conversation with people down the club. problem with setting up a second pos counter is that the kitchen is too small to take that many orders at once. So catch 22 really stand in line or wait longer for food.

Not really a catch 22. Waiting longer for food is fine as long as the bar is right there. Waiting in line isn't.

That is why i wait for the initial buzz to drop have a couple of beers and then order really isn't that hard. I do this every Thursday.

What you are missing here is that you shouldn't have to do that for starters. Secondary to this, a vast majority of people don't often plan to spend their entire night at the port club either, so time is a factor. Especially if you hope to attract people to the venue, or expect repeat business. The worst part is lining up for a long time, then waiting for your food, then getting a dodgy meal. Which is where the club is at right now.

I mean, we line up at a dark and dingy brick counter, and the line stretches back into the dining room so people are lining up for food right next to you as you eat, lol.

There is only so far you can go with "But it has trophies and it's at Alberton and stuff."

What you are missing here is that you shouldn't have to do that for starters. Secondary to this, a vast majority of people don't often plan to spend their entire night at the port club either, so time is a factor. Especially if you hope to attract people to the venue, or expect repeat business. The worst part is lining up for a long time, then waiting for your food, then getting a dodgy meal. Which is where the club is at right now.

I mean, we line up at a dark and dingy brick counter, and the line stretches back into the dining room so people are lining up for food right next to you as you eat, lol.

There is only so far you can go with "But it has trophies and it's at Alberton and stuff."

Totally agree it only goes so far. i'm only stating on big nights etc. Normally its fine magpies game-days and lunchtime are never that busy. What other pub or club you know of have 500 patrons turn up and order all at the same time zero.

Too me the menu needs to be about 10 things that's it burgers steak fish chips schnitzel roast and vegetarian

I will always be down the club and when i die ill have my funeral there.

But it has trophies and it's at Alberton and stuff is perfectly fine for me, i don't go out of my way to go to the Port club in Alberton because it's a restaurant. eating there is a bonus, it's our footy club, i eat there to put money into the club, because i can. obviously they've changed the menu up before - maybe they got rid of that gourmet menu because the food critiquing types weren't actually eating that food enough and we couldn't afford it!

Had a meal last night and have to say the value for money was excellent. Was seriously hungry to start with and still took half of my club sanga home in a take away container. Staff around the tables were absolutely fantastic.
But yep, the ordering system is a big problem. I think most people would prefer to order quick then have a drink at the table with their mates. Would up drink revenue as well. No ones buying drinks when in a line for 30 mins plus.
Last night there was only a short line when we got there. The till stuffed up for a bit, and that's all it took for the line to get out of control.
2 tills is a no brainer for me.

But it has trophies and it's at Alberton and stuff is perfectly fine for me, i don't go out of my way to go to the Port club in Alberton because it's a restaurant. eating there is a bonus, it's our footy club, i eat there to put money into the club, because i can. obviously they've changed the menu up before - maybe they got rid of that gourmet menu because the food critiquing types weren't actually eating that food enough and we couldn't afford it!

Therein lies the problem. You can't run a successful business off a group of blokes who love the club and will eat there occasionally because it's Alberton.

Atleast not year round anyway.

I'm not arguing against it's position to exist or against the significance of it to a number of people, I'm simply arguing about it's ability to generate profit and revenue.

For what it's worth, I think it should remain as a cheap pub with a meh menu small staffing requirements. It's location and footprint is rubbish and difficult to work with from a promotion and development perspective. May be a better option to sink cash into a city based pub. Issue there is, the city pub will likely kill the port club or atleast reduce it to gamedays/talking footy only.

Therein lies the problem. You can't run a successful business off a group of blokes who love the club and will eat there occasionally because it's Alberton.

Atleast not year round anyway.

I'm not arguing against it's position to exist or against the significance of it to a number of people, I'm simply arguing about it's ability to generate profit and revenue.

For what it's worth, I think it should remain as a cheap pub with a meh menu small staffing requirements. It's location and footprint is rubbish and difficult to work with from a promotion and development perspective. May be a better option to sink cash into a city based pub. Issue there is, the city pub will likely kill the port club or atleast reduce it to gamedays/talking footy only.

In certain parts your right but you forget that alberton is a community club Its not going anywhere. Couldnt imagine having a club i couldnt engage and be a part of

i believe we had a offer to move to the city.

And how many pubs have closed their doors this year in south australia for the club to break even would be a success

Guess we will find out at the agm

In an ideal world we have a city based location that has a full on bar/bistro and downsize the Port club to a front bar only with front bar meals set up.

I'll be heading down sometime in the next two weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an ideal world we have a city based location that has a full on bar/bistro and downsize the Port club to a front bar only with front bar meals set up.

Not sure if you mean you are heading down in the next two weeks or "two weeks".

Don't really think that would work. The club is a family orientated place, front bars are not for families. Much to the amazement of many, not everyone is a drinker :eek: :)

Don't really think that would work. The club is a family orientated place, front bars are not for families. Much to the amazement of many, not everyone is a drinker :eek: :)

This is why you have a bistro and a bar. The way the club is currently setup has a semi open plan with the front bar sort of attached to the bistro so people like Zakk Wylde can get a clear shot with his Trident at the children in the bistro from the comfort of the bar, like the mighty Poseidon.

Food and bev chat is interesting but there are very few venues that are financially viable without pokies. They (F&B) are effectively a loss leader.

The Club would be in no position to move into the City unless pokies were attached. That's before you consider the moral implications.

This is why you have a bistro and a bar. The way the club is currently setup has a semi open plan with the front bar sort of attached to the bistro so people like Zakk Wylde can get a clear shot with his Trident at the children in the bistro from the comfort of the bar, like the mighty Poseidon.

I think the club just needs a little remodelling and rejigging of the ordering area. Or perhaps have people order from the tables, either via waiting staff or some gee wiz thingamy whatsit technologies gadgets based on each table ?

Mr Wylde is a beasty boy so that doesn't surprise me :D

Havent been in the club for a while. Not sure what to expect so im not going to judge. I half except finbar riding around smashing his bicycle bell. Selling ice creams. And tribes yelling......."" Get your chips and snitz here "

The Port Club to me is not fine dining by a long long way. Its a family place. A club where you gather and adore Port Adelaide. Football. Watch the boys play and train. We haven't got the money to spread and be a nice pub. The food you get is what you get. Stop complaining. The crows have nothing. Nothing!! We have a club. Somewhere to gather.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back