Gym & Misc Member Profiles - Post yours!

Remove this Banner Ad

Height: 190cm
Weight: 94kg

Supps: Bought the WPC stack from bulk nutrients. Protein, Creatine and BCAA's. I thought it was pretty good value. Never used creatine or BCAA's before so will be interesting to see any differences.

Reasons for starting: Had a decent back injury 8 months ago after awkwardly lifting my baby daughter. The Chiro said lifting the baby was just the straw that broke the camels back as my back was overall in pretty bad shape. It took a good 5 months to recover! In that time the weight stacked back on.

Have dropped 10kgs now and I'm ready to get back into it.

Goals: Strengthen the back and legs! Build some muscles for vanity purposes and generally just get stronger/fitter.

Program: Doing the Stronglifts 5x5

Started yesterday and the DOMS have hit pretty hard this morning but it feels good.

Height: 190cm
Weight: 94kg

Supps: Bought the WPC stack from bulk nutrients. Protein, Creatine and BCAA's. I thought it was pretty good value. Never used creatine or BCAA's before so will be interesting to see any differences.

Reasons for starting: Had a decent back injury 8 months ago after awkwardly lifting my baby daughter. The Chiro said lifting the baby was just the straw that broke the camels back as my back was overall in pretty bad shape. It took a good 5 months to recover! In that time the weight stacked back on.

Have dropped 10kgs now and I'm ready to get back into it.

Goals: Strengthen the back and legs! Build some muscles for vanity purposes and generally just get stronger/fitter.

Program: Doing the Stronglifts 5x5

Started yesterday and the DOMS have hit pretty hard this morning but it feels good.
Having done my back myself don't neglect your glutes with your training. Weak glutes will have your lower back taking over in their place. Get them strong and you'll have much less pain/issues.

I don't know why I've never done this until now but alas:

Height: 168
Weight: 80ish
Body type: small joints but thick through the arse and thighs
Qualifications in the industry: PT studio owner so 3/4 cert + level 1 strength and conditioning coach (asca)...many other quals along the way

Supplements: none in the of-season as it;s counter productive as you want stress to drive adaptation but last in-season i ran with beta alanine which was pretty good for soreness and allowing my old body to recover and start to train mon instead of tue

Diet: same thing pretty much everyday really

meal 1 - 6 weetbix, 400ml milk, sugar
meal 2 - ham sandwitch on protein bread, choc milk, apple
meal 3 - 4 eggs, 2 - 4 slices of bacon, 2 peices of bread, bowl of veg
meal 4 - chicken, veg

give or take + take out over the weekend 1 - 2 (macca's, fkc, fish and chips the usual)

Goals: footy so i'm looking at sprinting speed (accleration + max velocity) + aerobic fitness (resting heart rate, recovery rate, lacatate threshold etc)
Achievements so far: 1st sprint session i covered 35 in 5.21secs and already down to 4.71secs (wind assisted) in 4 weeks...speed is really my biggie as i play deep forward so i simply need to bolt out and bolt back when needed but as i'm a bigger body if i can swing through the midfield then i still need the aerobic stuff for that

Sport played: Football

Has anyone else found that getting really lean skews their perception of what is considered "normal" really badly?

I'm slowly bulking now, and even though I still have an obvious six pack, I catch myself thinking "hmm getting a bit chubby" purely because I'm not as lean as I was a kilogram ago. Of course I realise that's completely stupid which is why it hasn't stopped me from gaining. It is "interesting" though and I wonder if it will have a bigger impact 5 kilograms down the line.

Has anyone else found that getting really lean skews their perception of what is considered "normal" really badly?

I'm slowly bulking now, and even though I still have an obvious six pack, I catch myself thinking "hmm getting a bit chubby" purely because I'm not as lean as I was a kilogram ago. Of course I realise that's completely stupid which is why it hasn't stopped me from gaining. It is "interesting" though and I wonder if it will have a bigger impact 5 kilograms down the line.
Not skewing what is normal, it's wanting to have your cake and eat it too

tumblr_lxfwotbdRP1qedb29o1_r3_500.gif

end of the day trying to gain strength and muscle mass when at low BF% is too hard and when it comes to a little extra flab you just have to not let it get to you. All for the greater good :)

end of the day trying to gain strength and muscle mass when at low BF% is too hard and when it comes to a little extra flab you just have to not let it get to you. All for the greater good :)
That's not actually true. The body responds better when at lower BF levels in it's ability to build lean muscle mass. Gaining weight is considered the 'easy' way to get stronger, but your body creates more and more fat cells (which you don't actually lose) and thus your body becomes inefficient. It also makes the whole 'bulking' and 'cutting' more difficult each and every time you do it.

I know that's simplifying it somewhat, but I've read several articles that go into detail about this. I also know several people that have gained considerable size whilst staying very lean (around 10% BF). And then I watch all these guys toil away in the gym, year after year, bulking and cutting, and getting pretty average results. So it's all well and good that I've read some articles, but it's also confirming what I've witnessed in life.

That's not actually true. The body responds better when at lower BF levels in it's ability to build lean muscle mass. Gaining weight is considered the 'easy' way to get stronger, but your body creates more and more fat cells (which you don't actually lose) and thus your body becomes inefficient. It also makes the whole 'bulking' and 'cutting' more difficult each and every time you do it.

I know that's simplifying it somewhat, but I've read several articles that go into detail about this. I also know several people that have gained considerable size whilst staying very lean (around 10% BF). And then I watch all these guys toil away in the gym, year after year, bulking and cutting, and getting pretty average results. So it's all well and good that I've read some articles, but it's also confirming what I've witnessed in life.

All the pro's now stay a lot closer to their comp BF% in the off season than years prior as well (albeit with pharmaceutical aid)

Completely agree, I wasn't advocating piling on the calories and fat when bulking but I realise I probably phrased my original point poorly.

I think the best way to bulk/strength gain is to start with your maintenance calories and only increase if you're not gaining strength or size as you would like, even still I don't think you should increase you calories by any more than 500 per week.

What I meant in my initial post was you're level of leanness and aesthetics during this phase will probably (almost certainly) decrease slightly but it's better not to worry about it.

So I think I may be competing again. Early last year I did my first ever male fitness model shows, I dropped down from 95kg to 78kg over 20 weeks. I am back playing footy (just in the reserves) all season and we are last on the ladder which is partly why the gym is more appealing at the moment.

So long story short I'm aiming for a Comp most likely mid March, which means dieting will start around early December. This year I've hovered around 90kg, but weighed myself this morning at 94kg. The aim will be to maintain 92-94kg till dieting starts and enjoy calories while I have them.

Training the last few moths has been pretty simple
M- back,
T - legs,
W a chest,
Thurs - off
Fri - shoulders and arms.
16-18 sets on all body parts, in the rep range of 8-12, legs has been 12-20.

Once footy is over I will be doing push, legs, pull twice a week. Around 20 sets in the 6-10 rep range.

Dieting of late, protein intake has been spot on, but I have indulge in all the foods I shouldn't.

From now, I will be around 3000 calories a day. Just eating more good food if I'm hungry and indulge a little on a Saturday night.

Age; 30
Height; 178 / 5'10
Weight; 94kg

Will try and get a current pic up, hoping by publicly stating I want to compete you blokes on here will keep me honest!

PS; my current lifts
Bench press 100kg x 13 reps
Barbell row 90kg x 12 reps
Squats 90kg x 14 reps
Deadlift 140kg x 7 reps

Just an update;

My weight hit its peak at the end of September, just under 96kg weighed in this morning at 90.5kg. My goal was to hit 90kg by the end of November.

Training hasn't changed much still doing pull, legs, push twice a week, between now and my last post i have been mostly training in 3-5 rep range but the last 2 weeks my strength has dropped off a bit due to the lower calories than i was on 4 weeks ago. I will maintain the 20-24 sets for legs, back, chest and 12 or so sets for arms and shoulders, but i will look at increasing the rep range to 8-12.

I am playing footy again next year so i will start running again soon and do a couple of pre season sessions with my footy club before Xmas.

Diet has been a lot better, sticking to my meals during the week and less junk food over weekends, once the running for footy picks up i will add in a few extra calories.

My goal will be to hit March around 83kg.

Just an update;

My weight hit its peak at the end of September, just under 96kg weighed in this morning at 90.5kg. My goal was to hit 90kg by the end of November.

Training hasn't changed much still doing pull, legs, push twice a week, between now and my last post i have been mostly training in 3-5 rep range but the last 2 weeks my strength has dropped off a bit due to the lower calories than i was on 4 weeks ago. I will maintain the 20-24 sets for legs, back, chest and 12 or so sets for arms and shoulders, but i will look at increasing the rep range to 8-12.

I am playing footy again next year so i will start running again soon and do a couple of pre season sessions with my footy club before Xmas.

Diet has been a lot better, sticking to my meals during the week and less junk food over weekends, once the running for footy picks up i will add in a few extra calories.

What area do you play footy mate?

What area do you play footy mate?

I play in the northern footy league, I play in the reserves. We finished last this year so we got relegated to division two. Not a bad thing as the seniors and reserves just won two games each. We've recruited well and both sides should finish top two.

I play in the northern footy league, I play in the reserves. We finished last this year so we got relegated to division two. Not a bad thing as the seniors and reserves just won two games each. We've recruited well and both sides should finish top two.
I swear to god noone plays in my league haha damn city folk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have previously done well with my nutrition but as I am now studying for professional exams (along with working full time) i have ballooned on some weight because of it, I remember that when i was at uni i started to put on weight cos studying can be long and tedious. Any recommendations for me? How does one control their diet when working and studying together?

Any others in my predicament?

I have previously done well with my nutrition but as I am now studying for professional exams (along with working full time) i have ballooned on some weight because of it, I remember that when i was at uni i started to put on weight cos studying can be long and tedious. Any recommendations for me? How does one control their diet when working and studying together?

Any others in my predicament?
Meal prep is key for me in busy times. I just spend one day a week making up everything to cover the whole week, then just chuck it in a container and take it to work/uni with me each day.

Just an update;

Time for another update;

Weighed in this morning at 89 kg. I've lost 1.5kg since the last weigh in which i am pretty happy with considering the last 4 weeks i've had work functions, Christmas Parties, weddings.....i probably drank twice as much alcohol in the last 4 weeks than i did all year and not to mention all the food.

Training has remained the same, still your basic legs/pull/push my volume peaked around 30 sets total in the 3-5 rep range. Now i have dropped the sets down to 20-24 in the 6-12 rep range, trying to pick up the intensity and give myself more time/energy to focus on running coming into footy season next year.

I will look at different style split in the new year just to focus on running and footy training;

M - shoulders / footy
T - back
W - triceps / footy
T - biceps
F - legs - running
S - chest - running

Goal is still to get down to 83kg around March. I did my first 2km run about 4-5 weeks ago it was 8:33.....i did one last weekend it was 8:12.....my goal is to get that down to around 7:30 - 7:45

Time for another update;

Weighed in this morning at 89 kg. I've lost 1.5kg since the last weigh in which i am pretty happy with considering the last 4 weeks i've had work functions, Christmas Parties, weddings.....i probably drank twice as much alcohol in the last 4 weeks than i did all year and not to mention all the food.

Training has remained the same, still your basic legs/pull/push my volume peaked around 30 sets total in the 3-5 rep range. Now i have dropped the sets down to 20-24 in the 6-12 rep range, trying to pick up the intensity and give myself more time/energy to focus on running coming into footy season next year.

I will look at different style split in the new year just to focus on running and footy training;

M - legs / footy
T - back
W - triceps / footy
T - biceps
F - legs - running
S - chest - running

Goal is still to get down to 83kg around March. I did my first 8km run about 4-5 weeks ago it was 8:33.....i did one last weekend it was 8:12.....my goal is to get that down to around 7:30 - 7:45
First 8km in 8:33?! :eek:

Haha I assumed, just wasn't sure what it was meant to be

What position do you play?

Midfield, I'm 5'10.

I've always been a strong runner but a steady pace, I've never been quick. Kinda like Robert Harvey who just run the same pace from the opening bounce to the last quarter.

Time for another update;

M - shoulders / footy
T - back
W - triceps / footy
T - biceps
F - legs - running
S - chest - running

Goal is still to get down to 83kg around March. I did my first 2km run about 4-5 weeks ago it was 8:33.....i did one last weekend it was 8:12.....my goal is to get that down to around 7:30 - 7:45
Legs on the Friday the day before footy? And why do you need a whole day for biceps/triceps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back