Shane Yarran in trouble

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this thread has now turned into, he said it, no he didn't, yes he did. Sound like a bunch of school kids instead of grown up men.
It always was a he said she said. None of us will ever know if Yarran got on the sauce and went on a regretful facebook rampage or whether he was hacked. But it's not as though we should feel inclined to believe somebody who has clearly lied in the past on the back of an SMS. That's ridiculous.

This truly is the darkest timeline.

87f8b2e490fc0bc270b7070defbada9b.jpg

If the little campaigner has been spraying freo on Facebook take back all the money he has been given. Sue the prick.

Or let sleeping dogs lie.

The club has nothing to gain pursuing him over petulant behaviour. He was given every chance to succeed since his release from prison. He can melt away into obscurity as a wasted talent.

I'm sure in 10 or 15 years time there will be a double page spread in a newspaper where he talks about regret and lost opportunity and how he is now helping young people get on the right track.

Either that or he will be dead / in prison.

Either way the club will move on, learn from the experience and ensure that our player welfare policies are best practice.

If the little campaigner has been spraying freo on Facebook take back all the money he has been given. Sue the prick.

In today's society, many think that they can say what you want and there will be no consequences. What those same people don't realise is that if you make defamatory comments against someone on Facebook, Twitter, etc you are still subject to the laws covering defamation. And don't think that there isn't an established legal precedent in Australia;
http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...y/news-story/d2fc66b72b36e8cbfec1f16d88a484d5

The Club wouldn't take him to court for his comments about Fyfe, Lyon, "fakiest club", etc. That's just never going to see the legal "light of day". But allegations about the use of illegal drugs amongst players, with or without the knowledge of club officials, tarnishes its reputation and seems to meet the criteria for 'defamation'. The Club may pursue it, not to 'punish' Yarran (if it was him), but to publicly clear its reputation.

The Club wouldn't take him to court for his comments about Fyfe, Lyon, "fakiest club", etc. That's just never going to see the legal "light of day". But allegations about the use of illegal drugs amongst players, with or without the knowledge of club officials, tarnishes its reputation and seems to meet the criteria for 'defamation'. The Club may pursue it, not to 'punish' Yarran (if it was him), but to publicly clear its reputation.

He didn't actually name any players though so it's unlikely he could be sued for defamation since there is no aggrieved party. This is why journalists can get away with saying "A Senior Carlton player on drugs" etc without proof since they didn't name anybody.

Most else of what he said would be classified as "opinion" except for the comments about drugs and Fyfe being a virgin.

I don't think an organisation like a football club can actually be legally defamed, only individuals. E.G. Just googled this up:

Public bodies, such as local government councils, cannot sue for defamation. People employed by, or elected to, government authorities may, however, be able to sue in defamation.

General groups (such as lawyers, doctors, Italians, university students or the staff of a certain shop) cannot sue for defamation, unless the group is so small that a person could say she or he was readily identifiable. For example, defamatory words referring to senior management of a company might sufficiently identify a number of people so that they can all bring actions in defamation.

Any non profit group or organisation that has a recognised legal status (such as a trade union or an incorporated association) can sue and be sued for defamation, but a group that is not a legal entity (such as an unincorporated association or a social club) cannot sue for damages or to protect its good name, even if its individual members can prove that they were defamed by a statement made about the group. Again, if the group is small enough, individuals in the group may sue.

Do we really want players in court as witnesses having to testify whether or not they've tried illicit drugs?

It's not defamation but I'd be surprised if the club didn't have non-disclosure agreements in place that Yarran is now in breech of.

It's not like his rant contained any trade secrets. NDAs might apply to things like training drills or medical programs, you can't write a legally binding NDA that forces you to cover up illegal behaviour.

Or let sleeping dogs lie.

The club has nothing to gain pursuing him over petulant behaviour. He was given every chance to succeed since his release from prison. He can melt away into obscurity as a wasted talent.

I'm sure in 10 or 15 years time there will be a double page spread in a newspaper where he talks about regret and lost opportunity and how he is now helping young people get on the right track.

Either that or he will be dead / in prison.

Either way the club will move on, learn from the experience and ensure that our player welfare policies are best practice.

I agree. Don't need to pour any more fuel on the fire. The guy is well on the way to self combusting anyway. As a club we still need to offer him the option of assistance, but methinks Yarran is too much of a douche to take it up.

Thanks for correcting my sloppy language Ydraw.
Where an individual publishes defamatory material against a company, that company can take action for "injurous falsehood". I accept that this is harder to prove than a defamation claim. For an injurous falsehood claim to be successful, the company must prove that a financial loss was suffered as a result of the person's false claims. That would be extremely difficult to prove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if it is real we should all take it as a grain of salt. I’m sure everyone has gone through a period of slight psychosis after losing a job or a girlfriend or whatever and in that state of mind you don’t think clearly. He's also up in the Kimberley probably drunk out of his mind and let's not forget about his questionable character and intelligence. Everything he said is no doubt exaggerated and possibly false.

Out of everything he might have said Fyfe's likeability is the only thing I really care about. The drug rant is no doubt exaggerated and likely just a select few indulging in recreational drugs every now and then. The fake tripe is probably just a reflection of him being pushed out rather than retiring.

Sucks that this is out there but like I said Fyfe is the only concern and if he re-signs this and all the other anti-Fyfe propaganda will be put to rest.

]
I agree , the comment about fyfe I don't think matter too much , every human got their unlikable form .

Last edited:
I don't feel bad for yarren , he got his chance and blew it , if freo got drug culture I think afl should be able to check on it also .

The general vibe I get in here reminds me of the little old ladies who used to ring talkback radio in blind defence of 'poor Benny' when things started spiralling out of control for him
He's a dick. So many kids work there arse off to not get a chance he got. Blew it big time I have no sympathy

I just spoke with someone I know who is well connected with the club and he believes that it wasn't Shane that posted that rant. He said that Shane has lots of friends at the club, especially the other indigenous players.

He told me that Shane retiring was a mutual decision and that the club was assisting Shane with returning back to Subiaco next season as it appears that a short custodial sentence seems the likely outcome if he is found guilty of the more serious charge.

He said that Shane really enjoyed his time at Fremantle and was honoured to shared a Powerade shower with Pav in his last game.

So make of it what you like, but I too can't see Shane doing something as stupid as this given what the club has done for him considering that he is the one responsible for his issues both current and past and no one else.

I just spoke with someone I know who is well connected with the club and he believes that it wasn't Shane that posted that rant. He said that Shane has lots of friends at the club, especially the other indigenous players.

He told me that Shane retiring was a mutual decision and that the club was assisting Shane with returning back to Subiaco next season as it appears that a short custodial sentence seems the likely outcome if he is found guilty of the more serious charge.

He said that Shane really enjoyed his time at Fremantle and was honoured to shared a Powerade shower with Pav in his last game.

So make of it what you like, but I too can't see Shane doing something as stupid as this given what the club has done for him considering that he is the one responsible for his issues both current and past and no one else.

Don't let facts get in way of the media Freo bashing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for correcting my sloppy language Ydraw.
Where an individual publishes defamatory material against a company, that company can take action for "injurous falsehood". I accept that this is harder to prove than a defamation claim. For an injurous falsehood claim to be successful, the company must prove that a financial loss was suffered as a result of the person's false claims. That would be extremely difficult to prove.

There are also some cyberbullying laws that cover impersonating, unauthorised access into a persons account and altering and publishing false information to spread messages causing anger, outrage, humiliation etc.

There are also some cyberbullying laws that cover impersonating, unauthorised access into a persons account and altering and publishing false information to spread messages causing anger, outrage, humiliation etc.
The laws is there but is very hard to enforced.

The laws is there but is very hard to enforced.

Yeah, but I imagine there's more of a case when these posts have been given publicity on several radio stations and have been published in the newspaper than it would be if it was confined to the nutjobs that follow BigFooty or between a few other facebook followers.

Crumpets doesn't like this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back