Travel Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone been to phu quoc? Need some recommendations for accommodation next April or May.
Went to Phu Quoc in June this year.

Booked accommodation (nothing special but a pool is necessary) on the southern edge of Duong Dong, the biggest town on the island. Didn't seem to be a great number of tourists around in comparison to the amount of accommodation around so I don't think you'll have many problems.

Riding scooters in Phu Quoc was great fun with a lot less traffic that you usually get in Vietnam. Sao Beach is a must see, go on a weekday if possible to avoid the day trippers from the mainland.

Even found a great bar overlooking the beach to watch the footy.

Off to Vietnam and Cambodia for three weeks in mid-August next year.

Was planning a week in Cambodia (Siam Reap - 3 nights and Phnom Penh 2 nights) then rest of time in Vietnam (HCMC, Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa and Hoi Ann/Hue). And two night stopover in Hong Kong.

Told Sapa and Hoi Ann are must dos.
Cambodia is fantastic. Phnom Penh is gritty, and the people are wonderful. The killing fields, although grim, are an absolute must do. Quite incredible what the country has been through.

Vietnam you've basically got it covered. Do not miss Ha Long Bay, absolutely gorgeous. I also loved Nha Trang, but you're already covering a lot of ground in 2 weeks.

Just one thing to keep in mind, August is the middle of summer, which through the north of Vietnam generally means hot, humid, and a lot of rain. Hong Kong is similar, we had a couple of typhoons roll through in August, however these storms clear up the air (pollution), so conditions are good just after, if you miss them!

Cambodia is fantastic. Phnom Penh is gritty, and the people are wonderful. The killing fields, although grim, are an absolute must do. Quite incredible what the country has been through.

Vietnam you've basically got it covered. Do not miss Ha Long Bay, absolutely gorgeous. I also loved Nha Trang, but you're already covering a lot of ground in 2 weeks.

Just one thing to keep in mind, August is the middle of summer, which through the north of Vietnam generally means hot, humid, and a lot of rain. Hong Kong is similar, we had a couple of typhoons roll through in August, however these storms clear up the air (pollution), so conditions are good just after, if you miss them!

Thanks.

Agree except Ha-Long bay. Big tourist trap IMHO. The water is green and you cant swim anywhere. I put my hand in the water and it was greasy and disgusting. No way i will be swimming in that. On top of that if the weather is bad, its worse and there are some caves they take you too with 100 other tourist groups. The landscape is beautiful but for a good cruise you can pay 400 bucks a night. If you have to do Ha long bay then better not do the overnight one. I tried Ha long twice now and left disappointed twice other than the karaoke session on the boat at nights and meeting some awesome people from all over the world there.

Great advice everyone. Starting to get together a list of places within the countries. Starting with Vietnam, looking at Da Nang and surrounds, Hanoi for a bit, and Ho Chi Minh city.
Malaysia I definetely want to go to KL, and then probably an island or resort but only for a day or two. Singapore planning on staying in the city, and just getting the big city vibe and architecture from it all, but now looking like might have to reschedule the trip to September 2017
You'd probably need a week minimum in Hue, Hoi An and Da Nang. How you do it will depend on your mode of transport. Hoi An has no train station, the best way to get there is a bus from Da Nang, its not a long way. The train from Da Nang to Hue is quiet scenic, but also slow. Da Nang was a great place to fly into from Hanoi - some great places to eat and hang out after the hustle and bustle of Hanoi. Enjoyed it there. Hue is great - it's a long hot day at the Palace, but worth it. Hoi An is a real highlight, especially at night.

My one piece of advice - stay in accommodation that has a pool. Bloody awesome to come back and go for a swim. Took me a while to cotton on to this one.

Agree except Ha-Long bay. Big tourist trap IMHO. The water is green and you cant swim anywhere. I put my hand in the water and it was greasy and disgusting. No way i will be swimming in that. On top of that if the weather is bad, its worse and there are some caves they take you too with 100 other tourist groups. The landscape is beautiful but for a good cruise you can pay 400 bucks a night. If you have to do Ha long bay then better not do the overnight one. I tried Ha long twice now and left disappointed twice other than the karaoke session on the boat at nights and meeting some awesome people from all over the world there.

Yep I went to Vietnam in 2006 and did a 2 cruise at Halong Bay. The water was beautiful in some sections, but we went to an area that the ferries stopped to let the tourists swim. We just sat on the upperdeck and watched the tourists jumped in the water, when suddenly another ferry turns up to allow their tourists to jump into the water, when the ferry starts pumping its sewage tanks. We could see the water suddenly turn brown, but the people from our ferry already in the water couldn't, and well lets just say we almost threw up as the swam through the effluent!

The time has arrived and can't wait to get there.

Love the heat, love the rain/thunderstorms having lived In Drawin for 3 1/2 years.

Wouldn't mind doing this for my next trip, short of Bali I've really ignored Asia. Probably way cheaper and easier to get your mates to come. How much would say three weeks cost? More interested in probably travelling less and enjoying good places for longer, sick of training it every fourth day.

Wouldn't mind doing this for my next trip, short of Bali I've really ignored Asia. Probably way cheaper and easier to get your mates to come. How much would say three weeks cost? More interested in probably travelling less and enjoying good places for longer, sick of training it every fourth day.
Stacks of variables with the price obviously, maybe 2k+?

Probably consider Thailand as well for a mates holiday I reckon, not that I've ever been

Penang in Malaysia is tops. Best food from all over Asia from the multiple of cultures that have settled there. Has been our asian destination for 20+ years and still find something new each year we go. Singapore just as good with food but shopping/alcohol much cheaper in Penang.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got back from the three weeks in HK, Cambodia and Vietnam.

In a word, ******* fantastic! Yes, we did spend our nights in 3-4 star accommodation (make no apology for that as I have the financial means) however travelled by tuk-tuks in Cambodia and walked the streets in all the big cities.

Phnom-Penh - after two days in Hong Kong, landed in this city. Well the shock was incredible, the level of poverty I have never seen before but walking the streets, the markets, the people (even though they exist from from day to day, they are so contented and happy). This is a must city because of the rawness of the poverty. Confronting it is but thats life.

Siam Reap - Angkor Wat and the other temples - great and had a private guide for visit to floating village - again the happiness of the people. What do they think of us? Loved the $0.50 beers!

Ho Chi Minh City - the tunnels and visit to Mekong Delta - people happy but not as contented as Cambodians

Hoi Ann and Da Nang - lovely but becoming too touristy

Ended up with food poisoning in Hanoi from a dodgy pizza slice at the Da Nang airport (funny as it was the only time I eat western type food!)

Sapa - the train ride was an experience in itself and got away from the town itself and out to the countryside and local villages

Ha Long Bay - did a two night (three day) cruise - that was the key, got to all the major attractions before the hordes arrived.

Hanoi - couple of local tours and ok city.

Loved the food but drank so much water (bottled) during the day - never drank so much water in all my life!

The weather was humid continuously for the three weeks and I can handle the heat - very little rain (only occurred at night if at all). Missed the typhoon that went thru Hong Kong by 2 days!

PS : Saw the Crows vs GWS final at OMalleys Sports Bar in Hanoi. That was on the last day of the trip - great way to finish!

Thinking of Vietnam in January?

Anything I should know about?

Customs, Laws, Places to Go, Places to avoid, Nightlife, Scams etc.

Sort out your visa before you fly out. Apply at the Vietnamese embassy in or go to asian based travel agent. 90 bucks i think.

Use vinasun taxis in Ho Chi Mihn city.....heap of shonky operators out and about especially around the main tourist attractions. The odd pick pocket there too so keep a level head.

Aside from that not much. Enjoy. Great country with lovely people. Check out Da Lat and Phu Coc.

Sort out your visa before you fly out. Apply at the Vietnamese embassy in or go to asian based travel agent. 90 bucks i think.

Use vinasun taxis in Ho Chi Mihn city.....heap of shonky operators out and about especially around the main tourist attractions. The odd pick pocket there too so keep a level head.

Aside from that not much. Enjoy. Great country with lovely people. Check out Da Lat and Phu Coc.

Cool.

Best cheap day tours/fun stuff to do? Like see the Mekong Delta/War Museum and general activity. Have found if you use Western Operators they rip you off blind (Bali travellers beware) but locals are happy to take you round at a reasonable rate.

Cool.

Best cheap day tours/fun stuff to do? Like see the Mekong Delta/War Museum and general activity. Have found if you use Western Operators they rip you off blind (Bali travellers beware) but locals are happy to take you round at a reasonable rate.
Definately check the war museum...somthing every westerner should look at. Didnt make to Mekong delta but well worth it from what i have heard.

Have a look at a mob called easy rider tours Vietnam...they do scooter tours from ho chi minh to hanoi looking at all the highlights inbetween. If you dont have a family in tow i teckon it would be a good way to see vietnam.

Currently in Sri Lanka atm...add it to your next country to visit list:thumbsu:

Apparantly no matter when you go its going to be hot and humid. Looking at going March/April 2017, what are peoples thoughts?

What sort of places are must dos in these countries? Where would you spend the most time?
i can tell you for malaysia and singapore the following

singapore
marina bay
bugis
little india
chinatown
sentosa island (tanjong beach a special mention)
safari
orchard rd
johor bahru (drive there its over the malaysian border so bring passport)
arab street

malaysia
langkawi
penang (batu ferrenghi)
malacca
KL's shopping
Sunway
Batu Caves
Port Dickson

Spent a week and a half in Hue, such an awesome city. Traffic is pretty crazy but you get used to it. Food and beer is ridiculously cheap and the locals are brilliant. Went to some tombs and walked around the Citadel, gave the Imperial City a miss.

Had a few days in Hoi An. Touristy as * but it’s a beautiful place so I’m not surprised. Had the best Banh Mi and eating along the river was really nice.

In Da Nang atm, seems pretty average but enough to keep me busy. Probably check out Marble Mountain and My Son. Off to Hanoi for a week, hoping to check out Halong Bay while I’m there. Amazing country

Can we extend this to Phuket? Going in a few weeks, haven't been before, only to Bangkok a few times. I'll basically have a full day and night to myself on the Saturday, going to get an AirBnb near Bangla Rd, wouldn't mind some ideas of s**t to do. Going to check out a muay thai gym but that's about all I have at the mo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back