Redo the 2009 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gawn, Duncan, Scully, Duryea, Podsiadily are not better players than Dustin Martin... They may be more accredited in awards... So is Mark Blake. But a better footballer? I think not.
Mate Gawn is the best if not top 2 in the AFL by position.

He is elite. Martin has the capability to be elite, but is far to fickle.

Gawn comfortably.

When you look at what Hawthorn have done with the likes of Hale, McEvoy and Ceglar leading their ruck devision there's no way I'm taking Gawn over Martin.
Gawn every day of the week, unless you have a game plan built around precision kicking that's so good that you score almost every time you get I50.

No suprise there. CHB would be a harder position to play and Talia is a 2 x AA
Why is it a harder position play than the ruck?

The midfield is the most important part of modern footy, if the midfield is up and winning it makes it easier for your forwards and defenders. Max Gawn broke the record for hit outs to advantage the past season, he is giving his teams midfield the best opportunity to win to make the job of his Forwards and defenders easier.

There have been 4 All Australians, a Brownlow Medallist, B&F winners, and an MVP from the 2009 Draft.

Right now I'd have:

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Talia
4. Gunston
5. Beard
6. Stratton
7. Cunnington
8. Carlisle
9. Duncan
10. Rodent
11. Jetta
12. Christensen
13. Duryea
14. Pittard
15. MacMillan
16. Sheppard
17. Roberton
18. Melksham
19. Rohan
20. Bastinac

Apologies to Menzel, who's starting to once again show what he can do, and others on the fringe including Sinclair, Griffiths, Reid, and Colyer, who I expect would have made it without the year out.

The Beard is almost the most valuable, but needs more body of work to pass Talia, who is a former RS winner, Best & Fairest, and dual All Australian, as well as Gunston, who has slotted over 50 goals on 3 separate occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it a harder position play than the ruck?

The midfield is the most important part of modern footy, if the midfield is up and winning it makes it easier for your forwards and defenders. Max Gawn broke the record for hit outs to advantage the past season, he is giving his teams midfield the best opportunity to win to make the job of his Forwards and defenders easier.

There are only a few really good rucks. CHF has Franklin, Kennedy, Roughy, Reiwoldt x2, Hogan, Pavlich, Hawkins, Lynch, Cameron, Walker. All of those players can change the game very easily. That is just my opinion of course

There are only a few really good rucks. CHF has Franklin, Kennedy, Roughy, Reiwoldt x2, Hogan, Pavlich, Hawkins, Lynch, Cameron, Walker. All of those players can change the game very easily. That is just my opinion of course
True, which is why having one of the few good ruck that influences the midfield (most important area of modern footy IMO) is hugely valuable. Anyway just my opinion too.

There have been 4 All Australians, a Brownlow Medallist, B&F winners, and an MVP from the 2009 Draft.

Right now I'd have:

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Talia
4. Gunston
5. Beard
6. Stratton
7. Cunnington
8. Carlisle
9. Duncan
10. Rodent
11. Jetta
12. Christensen
13. Duryea
14. Pittard
15. MacMillan
16. Sheppard
17. Roberton
18. Melksham
19. Rohan
20. Bastinac

Apologies to Menzel, who's starting to once again show what he can do, and others on the fringe including Sinclair, Griffiths, Reid, and Colyer, who I expect would have made it without the year out.

The Beard is almost the most valuable, but needs more body of work to pass Talia, who is a former RS winner, Best & Fairest, and dual All Australian, as well as Gunston, who has slotted over 50 goals on 3 separate occasions.

Excellent top 20. Only change I'd make is Melksham out Reid/Griffiths in. I'd love to see Melksham fulfill his potential at Melbourne but as it stands he's really only had one good patch of form in his entire career.

Also if we include rookie/psd picks then Crameri and possibly Grimes would be added.

Excellent top 20. Only change I'd make is Melksham out Reid/Griffiths in. I'd love to see Melksham fulfill his potential at Melbourne but as it stands he's really only had one good patch of form in his entire career.

Also if we include rookie/psd picks then Crameri and possibly Grimes would be added.
Cheers.

I thought long and hard about Melksham and gave him the nod over Reid and Griffiths for two reasons:

Melksham is maligned, but he has played over 100 games, which in itself contributes weight to his selection, and he's also had a top 5 B&F finish in a finals year.

Notwithstanding Reid's career, where he's also played nearly 100 games, he missed all of 2016 with injury and there was no guarantee he made Sydney's best team. He's not pushing out Allir, Grundy and probably not Laidler. And there's no spot in the forward-line with Franklin and Tippett.

Griffiths was better this year, but he's kicked 42 goals from 61 games and the best tally of goals he's had in 7 seasons is 14. Even Chris Dawes kicked 30 one year and Jake Melksham has kicked 16 once and 14 on another occasion.

Griffiths needs to impact the scoreboard before he reserves a spot in the top 20.

But it's all subjective and I didn't put too much effort into it and others will have different views.

#No upgraded rookies considered.

Last edited:
Kane Lucas couldn't make his way into the top 20? :rolleyes:

5 of the top 12 not playing any more. That's poor.
Plus Trengove virtually done, although this is more injury than talent.

Right now I'd have:

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Talia
4. Gunston
5. Beard
6. Stratton
7. Cunnington
8. Carlisle
9. Duncan
10. Rodent
11. Jetta
12. Christensen
13. Duryea
14. Pittard
15. MacMillan
16. Sheppard
17. Roberton
18. Melksham
19. Rohan
20. Bastinac

Good top 20 the top 3 are a lock in, would probably go Gawn at 4 but Gunston has right to claim it he has performed over a longer period and is so consistent and reliable you can't underestimate a guy that knows how to finish and he is a dead eye dick.

Hawthorn has a habit of having forwards who don't miss, have they got some kicking coach down there that has a secret formula.

Kane Lucas couldn't make his way into the top 20? :rolleyes:

5 of the top 12 not playing any more. That's poor.

Morabito was due to injuries and I unfortunately suspect Trengove will join him at the end of 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back