MMA-UFC UFC 207: Nunes v Rousey

Remove this Banner Ad

What a laughable load of crap

She was great for the sport and the women's division, right place right time if it wasn't her it would have been someone else.

How people can feel sorry for her is laughable, has done nothing but degrade people for the last 4 years.

Do people honestly get that worked up over trash talking?

Worked up?

No.

But you think its ok for her and her worshippers to talk smack but now it can't go back the other way?

That's all that's happening here.

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar-size_restricted.gif

She'd beat Mayweather, Tyson, Ali with those fists of fury

LOL

:p

Not getting worked up, I'm just not getting sucked in by feeling sorry for her.

She was an over confident big mouth, I took great pleasure in watching her get smashed.

Worked up?

No.

But you think its ok for her and her worshippers to talk smack but now it can't go back the other way?

So in your twisted logic, her trash talking opponents makes it ok for every critic in the world to disrespect her and all of her achievements?

I don't remember ever reading anyone on this board "talking smack" to Rousey's opponents or the people that didn't like her - why would they? It's not like any of us have a real stake in her or how she performs other than, in a lot of cases I suspect, having an interest in how she was furthering womens sport.

This is, IMO, the fundamental thing that separates her from McGregor - many (though not all) of his supporters act like proper *******s (including on this board), as though they do have a genuine stake in McGregor.

So in your twisted logic, her trash talking opponents makes it ok for every critic in the world to disrespect her and all of her achievements?
Except nobody with an ounce of logic is doing that to her achievements.

But ever heard of the saying treat people how you want to be treated? Coz uh yeah. Her and her worshippers talking smack is a pretty good reason for it to be going back the other way.

And what seperates her and McGregor is that he talks s**t, gets smacked down and learns from it.

That's it.

Worked up?

No.

Who are the 'worshippers'?, talking smack, and back the other way?

What is this? the Main Board?

Except nobody with an ounce of logic is doing that to her achievements.

But ever heard of the saying treat people how you want to be treated? Coz uh yeah. Her and her worshippers talking smack is a pretty good reason for it to be going back the other way.

And what seperates her and McGregor is that he talks s**t, gets smacked down and learns from it.

That's it.

Can you show me a single example of "her worshippers talking smack" - cos once again, I don't think I've seen or heard a single example of that. Once again it seems nonsensical to me that anyone outside the camp would behave as though they have any genuine buy in.

I don't think there is a massive difference at all between the way that McGregor and Rousey treated their opponents - the biggest difference between the 2 is their fan groups.

Rousey could get away with thinking she was the greatest woman in MMA history (at least in the mainstream ie. the UFC.) She was genuinely the first woman to dominate in UFC, she was a pioneer for a division, and she was in many ways a pioneer for womens sport. McGregor is none of those things - guys dominated before him and more will dominate after he's gone, he was not a pioneer for a whole gender... I guess you could make an argument that he pioneered being a champion of 2 divisions - but I don't think it's a strong argument when he never defended the 145 belt and never did anything to earn the 155 title shot other than make UFC a s**t tonne of money.

Ok Ryz and nobbyiscool you're both right. Not once ever in the history of mankind have Ronda's fans ever at all been arrogant dicks talking s**t. All in my head.

Also Nobby for someone who isn't invested you're making some very emotional posts. :)

Have a good time lads, I won't bother posting here again.

Of course every sports person/team has dick fans, look at the main board :)

This is one of the few boards from the most part you can escape the petty s**t that exists on quite a few others, people enjoy that s**t, good for them.

boncer34, you're clearly no nuffie, so I do hope you decide to stick around with good discussion. I'm not a mod of this board so it's not my place to direct its discussion, (this is not aimed at you specifically) just found it disappointing on a card where we had a perceived 'one trick pony' have one the best breakout performances over the best P4P champs of the division, instead we had a influx of part timers or non regulars who probably saw the result on Facebook and ran in here and have flooded the thread with s**t.

On the contrary to what Ryz says, I'm not a mod. So boncer34 I'm perfectly happy if you don't want to post here again, it's no skin of my arse.

This isn't the main board, and its not Bay 13 - don't expect to be able to post hyperbolic bullshit and not have anyone call you on it or ask you to explain yourself. And don't expect any sympathy when you sook and say "I must have imagined it" when all you were asked for is one example to support what you were saying, that you were clearly unable to provide.

By the way, interpreting long posts as "emotional" is 100% wrong. Writing long posts, in most cases, is the opposite - it's trying to be analytical, and trying not to be hyperbolic.

Outside of her looks i dont get how Rousey has any fans. She dodged Cyborg for years knowing that brutal beast would destroy her. Ronda has the worst sportsmanship displayed by any female MMA. And when Dana finally puts her up against a genuine striker she gets humiliated. Heck, Holm was being patient and counter-striking. Nunes just thought "* this bitch" and rolled straight through her in less than a minute. How can supposedly the greatest WMMA get stomped in 50 seconds? It wasnt a one-hit knockout like Connor vs Aldo. It was 25+ punches to the face that Ronda couldnt get out the way of. Thats just pathetic.

I cant stand McGregor but I can at least respect that he wanted a rematch with the person who defeated him, and he spoke to the media and took his medicine. Ronda just displays all the characteristics of a spoilt brat bully. Cant wait for her next appearence on Ellen...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside of her looks i dont get how Rousey has any fans. She dodged Cyborg for years knowing that brutal beast would destroy her. Ronda has the worst sportsmanship displayed by any female MMA. And when Dana finally puts her up against a genuine striker she gets humiliated. Heck, Holm was being patient and counter-striking. Nunes just thought "**** this bitch" and rolled straight through her in less than a minute. How can supposedly the greatest WMMA get stomped in 50 seconds? It wasnt a one-hit knockout like Connor vs Aldo. It was 25+ punches to the face that Ronda couldnt get out the way of. Thats just pathetic.

I cant stand McGregor but can at least respect that he wanted a rematch with the person who defeated him, and he spoke to the media and took his medicine. Ronda just displays all the characteristics of a spoilt brat bully. Cant wait for her next appearence on Ellen...

Sums it up beautifully

I am not a McGregor fan, I respect the hell out of him though, absolute freak and should go down as one of the best ever.

McGregor came back from the Diaz fight willing to change, attack the legs and try to make it a 5 round war.

What did Rousey change? Kept her mouth shut that's about it.

Rousey, right place right time, she has been found out, the UFC baby can't be protected anymore, move on fan boys.

That's all I'm going to say she shouldn't even be spoken about after UFC 207, we should be talking about Nunes and one of the best 5 round displays you'll ever see from Cody.

What an amazing card.

I was a fool and put my 3 way multi on Dillashaw, Cruz and Nunes. The Cruz fight was the hardest and I should have just doubled down on Rousey getting destroyed. I pictures it in my head. I knew that was exactly how it would go down after seeing Nunes destroy Meisha.

* that was a great card though. I-m happy for Garbrant. I hope he can put some wins together and become a big star. The UFC needs another star besides McGregor. Garbrant has said he wants to be the most active fighter which is a good start.

Where to from here for the 135lbs belts.

Garbrant v Dillashaw (will be a very good fight)

As for Nunes? Who do you feed her?? Pennington would be an interesting fight. But she probably needs one more fight before taking on a shot at the belt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Outside of her looks i dont get how Rousey has any fans. She dodged Cyborg for years knowing that brutal beast would destroy her. Ronda has the worst sportsmanship displayed by any female MMA. And when Dana finally puts her up against a genuine striker she gets humiliated. Heck, Holm was being patient and counter-striking. Nunes just thought "**** this bitch" and rolled straight through her in less than a minute. How can supposedly the greatest WMMA get stomped in 50 seconds? It wasnt a one-hit knockout like Connor vs Aldo. It was 25+ punches to the face that Ronda couldnt get out the way of. Thats just pathetic.

I cant stand McGregor but I can at least respect that he wanted a rematch with the person who defeated him, and he spoke to the media and took his medicine. Ronda just displays all the characteristics of a spoilt brat bully. Cant wait for her next appearence on Ellen...

Rousey has fans, and grew the UFC fan base because she was the person that brought womens MMA into the mainstream. Say that you want about her, she deserves credit for that. Seeing how many girls and teenagers were at 193 and at the pre-fight events was perhaps the coolest part of the whole experience for me - she took it from a sport followed by men and viewed by media as "human cockfighting" to something that was legitimate to follow, and legitimate for girls and women to be involved in. Not many people can say that they singlehandedly grew any sport significantly - she can. And hopefully these kids have parents that can give them some context around her mental health issues such that it doesn't cause young people to think less of her because of it.

Why did she need to fight Cyborg for credibility? No one says that GSP had to go up to 185 and fight Silva to be credible; no one says that Jon Jones had to go up to 265 and fight Valesquez or JDS to be credible. I think McGregor has kind of changed how some fans view these things, but it's patently ridiculous to suggest that you have to fight someone out of your weight division to be credible, cos you could just as easily say that Cyborg was dodging Rousey by refusing to cut to 135 - the fight was there for Cyborg if she wanted it, she didn't want to cut the PEDs long enough to get down to weight.

I don't think I can mount an argument about Rousey's lack of stand up defence - but I do wonder if there's not a bit of revisionist history that goes along with this discussion point. A year ago I don't think most people thought her stand up was that bad (or as bad as it was against Nunes) - people put a lot of the Holm loss on Tarverdyan and on being bad tactically. I think people have an even lower impression of her performance in the Holm fight in the context of the Nunes beating. Not that this is unreasonable I guess, cos it adds more context to just how bad the tactics and the coaching was before the Holm fight.

I also don't think it's that fair to say that Ronda deserves a lower opinion cos she didn't want an immediate re-match with Holm - she wanted her rematch for the title. How can anyone be critical of that? The story of reclaiming the title was a better redemption story than winning a Holm rematch, especially when Holm has lost her last 2 fights. People who want to be critical of Rousey still would've criticised her because Holm would've been viewed as a softer target than she was a year ago.

What an amazing card.

I was a fool and put my 3 way multi on Dillashaw, Cruz and Nunes. The Cruz fight was the hardest and I should have just doubled down on Rousey getting destroyed. I pictures it in my head. I knew that was exactly how it would go down after seeing Nunes destroy Meisha.

**** that was a great card though. I-m happy for Garbrant. I hope he can put some wins together and become a big star. The UFC needs another star besides McGregor. Garbrant has said he wants to be the most active fighter which is a good start.

Where to from here for the 135lbs belts.

Garbrant v Dillashaw (will be a very good fight)

As for Nunes? Who do you feed her?? Pennington would be an interesting fight. But she probably needs one more fight before taking on a shot at the belt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
McGregor... Who da * is McGregor?

Would have been good if she corrected what her male colleague said though, neither of them were meant to chat at the NY weigh ins, they were meant to face each other and walk off but Rogan stuffed up and chatted to Amanda

Thats what Dana said... if you watch the faceoff, Dana trys to grab rousey by the arm as she turns to run off.

Dave Meltzer was backstage as Ronda went behind the curtain and she was very emotional and had to be consoled.

I don't think it was that at all. Ronda didn't try and make the Holm fight a boxing match, she did what she does in all of her fights and try to bumrush her opponent behind some punches to get in to the clinch. Holm's footwork was superb though and Ronda just couldn't get the fight where she wanted it as a result.

Huh? That's almost the same thing as i said but rehashed in a different vocab and it just happened again...

Of course she is going to work the clinch, throw, submit, but believing you can box and I repeat, the BS going around about Floyd after Bethe got her in serious trouble...

Holly countered her after timing her because she kept coming in a striking manner... Nunes just went straight through her little attempt at jab jab get closer...

Edmund made her believe this and like i called it in my first post on the matter and NOW 80% of the keyboard pros offering advice, she needs to go to Jacksons or like wise to learn how to clinch against elite strikers...

Ive read multiple posts from people i dont recognize saying rousey was nothing but a product of hype that was protected from decent strikers.

Rousey was protected from no one, but she was beaten by fighters who had her outmatched in areas she is deficient.

People forget or straight up dont know that Nunes was beaten by Cat Zigano in what was a title eliminator.. Rousey went on to submit Cat in less than 20 seconds.

Ive read multiple posts from people i dont recognize saying rousey was nothing but a product of hype that was protected from decent strikers.

Rousey was protected from no one, but she was beaten by fighters who had her outmatched in areas she is deficient.

People forget or straight up dont know that Nunes was beaten by Cat Zigano in what was a title eliminator.. Rousey went on to submit Cat in less than 20 seconds.

Yatzee!

She was the greatest WMMA athlete up until recently but her time has passed, she will never be champion again.

I did find myself feeling a touch of empathy, you don't want to see anyone get destroyed like that. But then I happened to catch a post match analysis which involved Mishca Tate and this reminded of how she was treated by Rousey during the UF. Any trace of empathy I might have had just disappeared.

I was just thinking about Cruz chin/ability to recover.

Dom was dropped on 4 or 5 occasions and instantly bounced up to his feet and swung bombs back, all while using his patented head movement. I doubt that head movement was anything more than instinct, but it was fairly effective considering.

I cant think of a fight/fighter where that level of heart/toughness/chin has been displayed stright back back into offence. Kongo vs barry is similar but Kongo was basically a zombie at that point.

And to do it verse a guy who has slept all but one of his opponents to this point.

The fact im even talking about Dom like this is a massive credit to Cody. What an amazing performance. Didnt beleive he could do it, but his clearly a special talent.

I was just thinking about Cruz chin/ability to recover.

Dom was dropped on 4 or 5 occasions and instantly bounced up to his feet and swung bombs back, all while using his patented head movement. I doubt that head movement was anything more than instinct, but it was fairly effective considering.

I cant think of a fight/fighter where that level of heart/toughness/chin has been displayed stright back back into offence. Kongo vs barry is similar but Kongo was basically a zombie at that point.

And to do it verse a guy who has slept all but one of his opponents to this point.

The fact im even talking about Dom like this is a massive credit to Cody. What an amazing performance. Didnt beleive he could do it, but his clearly a special talent.
Agreed. Such a good fight. I think Cruz could have fought clearner. He really didnt want to commit to his jabs. I know that odd movement is his style but he really had to commit a little bit more. Maybe im just an idiot and that meant he would have been easier to counterstrike by Cody, but he needed to do a bit more damage in his larger ammouny of strikes landed. I think a more committed Cruz with nothing to lose makes for a very goood re-run on this matchup. I hope they go again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back