Opinion Good Places to live in Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

G'Day from a hot and steamy Timor-Leste North Fans,

As the humidity ramps up here in TL to levels that would have Boonies player comfort meter off the charts, I have ended up, through a couple of casual conversations with colleagues back in Oz, neck deep in for a job that would see the Hazey clan moving to Melbourne! Neither my wife nor I are from Victoria and really have no idea about Melbourne and which suburbs to consider moving into, so I am here to ask the BF faithful for your thoughts.

The job main office is based in Abbotsford, with a project office running out of St Vincent's Hospital for the next couple of years. It is a great opportunity and probably has better career prospects than just staying in the laboratory. Also no shift work, but some travel requirements.

We would initially look to rent until we are sure the job and move to the city are right for us as it is a massive move from what we were originally planning after Timor-Leste (which was to move to Cairns), but eventually like to buy. Mrs H is probably more interested in a new build house and land package which would have us a bit further out, but with rail links and/or cycle pathways to the city, I'd be happy.

I would love to hear where people live, what they like or don't like and definite areas to avoid?

Thanks in advance and Merry Xmas

Where would the job be located Hazey1977? 'Tis a big city, greater metro suburban area wise, and you'd want to be in the vicinity of work (i.e.. same side of town) and near transport (particularly trains/trams) for your wife. We're 15km's South East of the city. There are so many great areas to live, and a few you'd probably wish to avoid if given the choice, as you have.

I spent Plenty of time living in and around Abbotsford, it has a lot of positives if you can get past the overt drug activity in parts of Victoria Street. It has certainly gentrified a lot in the last 10 years with trendy bars opening up, there are some cracking pubs too, decent parkland with bike/walking trails along the Yarra, great food options. Clifton hill to north is an option if you're looking for more of a family friendly location.

If it's in your budget I'd go for North Fitzroy. Great area with plenty of parks but still close to the city. It would probably take you about 15 minutes to get to StVinnies & Abbotsford (depending on traffic).

I'd love to be able to afford somewhere in Abbotsford.... But it would need to be a worst house in best street kind of deal. I'd love to grab a place and renovate, but street doing it all through her childhood Mrs H is hesitant!

What's your thoughts on Brooklyn?

Brooklyn is awful (no offence to anyone who lives there).

Edit- not only is it awful, it would take you a long time to commute across the city. I'd stay away from the west if I were you

Last edited:
Silly comment.

Why? He's working in Abbotsford & StVinnies. Both of which are on the other side of the city to the Western suburbs. Driving across the city will be a nightmare.

Edit- after reading the other posts and seeing hilly posted something similar. There must be a joke that went over my head. Not hard as I'm short & about 3 sheets to the wind at the moment

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? He's working in Abbotsford & StVinnies. Both of which are on the other side of the city to the Western suburbs. Driving across the city will be a nightmare.

Edit- after reading the other posts and seeing hilly posted something similar. There must be a joke that went over my head. Not hard as I'm short & about 3 sheets to the wind at the moment

Fair enough, must have glazed over that part.

I'd love to be able to afford somewhere in Abbotsford.... But it would need to be a worst house in best street kind of deal. I'd love to grab a place and renovate, but street doing it all through her childhood Mrs H is hesitant!

What's your thoughts on Brooklyn?
so have you made the move yet? still looking?

so have you made the move yet? still looking?
In what could have been possibly The Worlds longest interview process, I am now eagerly awaiting the formal offer from head office, which I will be accepting.

We've decided to rent somewhere close to work (Abbotsford) for the initial period whilst we get a feel for Melbourne town. So if anyone has a nice 2-3 BR place they are looking to rent, get in touch! We've been looking around Northcote, Kew, Hawthorn, Thonrbury a little bit of Richmond.

In what could have been possibly The Worlds longest interview process, I am now eagerly awaiting the formal offer from head office, which I will be accepting.

We've decided to rent somewhere close to work (Abbotsford) for the initial period whilst we get a feel for Melbourne town. So if anyone has a nice 2-3 BR place they are looking to rent, get in touch! We've been looking around Northcote, Kew, Hawthorn, Thonrbury a little bit of Richmond.
Of that list, I'd choose Hawthorn as it has absolutely everything you'll need. Have you had any time to get out and experience different suburbs?

Of that list, I'd choose Hawthorn as it has absolutely everything you'll need. Have you had any time to get out and experience different suburbs?
Not yet. We arrive on Saturday evening. Trying to get the packing and work handover done & dusted today!

On SM-G920F using BigFooty.com mobile app

we may have a big (112 sq mtr) appt for lease in maribyrnong (on the river, next to highpoint SC). 2 bed, 2 bath, and lots of NM players around the area.
Gday Unity,

Throw me a link if you have one!

Drove through Port Melbourne today and Mrs H liked the feel there. Might have a look at a few properties on Saturday

Gday Unity,

Throw me a link if you have one!

Drove through Port Melbourne today and Mrs H liked the feel there. Might have a look at a few properties on Saturday
If prepared to head south of the Yarra then Elwood/Elsternwick/Balaclava/Ripponlea/East St. Kilda are worth a gander.

If prepared to head south of the Yarra then Elwood/Elsternwick/Balaclava/Ripponlea/East St. Kilda are worth a gander.
The bonus thing with Port Melbourne is the single tram line that will run direct to work. Once I get the public transport sussed, she'll be apples! Like the look of all those suburbs you mentioned.

The bonus thing with Port Melbourne is the single tram line that will run direct to work. Once I get the public transport sussed, she'll be apples! Like the look of all those suburbs you mentioned.

So whrte did you end up?

G'Day from a hot and steamy Timor-Leste North Fans,

As the humidity ramps up here in TL to levels that would have Boonies player comfort meter off the charts, I have ended up, through a couple of casual conversations with colleagues back in Oz, neck deep in for a job that would see the Hazey clan moving to Melbourne! Neither my wife nor I are from Victoria and really have no idea about Melbourne and which suburbs to consider moving into, so I am here to ask the BF faithful for your thoughts.

The job main office is based in Abbotsford, with a project office running out of St Vincent's Hospital for the next couple of years. It is a great opportunity and probably has better career prospects than just staying in the laboratory. Also no shift work, but some travel requirements.

We would initially look to rent until we are sure the job and move to the city are right for us as it is a massive move from what we were originally planning after Timor-Leste (which was to move to Cairns), but eventually like to buy. Mrs H is probably more interested in a new build house and land package which would have us a bit further out, but with rail links and/or cycle pathways to the city, I'd be happy.

I would love to hear where people live, what they like or don't like and definite areas to avoid?

Thanks in advance and Merry Xmas

Not in the Sth East or Western Suburbs, everywhere else is good. I live in Berwick and traffic is the new cancer, Western Suburbs good if you like your home invaded and if they build a tunnel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back