Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #44 - Myles Poholke

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said that Myles reminds me of Luke Parker... well, just going through some old draft profiles, Quigley's assessment of Parker reminds me somewhat of Poholke, and how he's been described?

"If a team is looking to add grunt to their team then Parker will be one that they will be looking at in the 20-35 range. Parker does not have any exceptional characteristics except maybe his marking but he is a player who has a smart football brain and does most things well. He is predominantly an inside mid who can go forward and likes to present as a marking target up forward. He will fly for everything up forward and create a contest and crash the packs. I would like to see him wait down a little more and use his inside mid abilities to crumb a few. Still he is very capable of taking a contested mark and his pack crashing abilities did create more than a few goals at the Champs – one in particular was him flying and the 199cm Lynch waiting down to pick up the crumbing goal. He reads the ball very well in the air and judges his jump to best effect. In the air his hands are well above average and his highlight reel looks particularly good in this respect. Bear in mind though that despite the highlights he spills his share as well and averaged less than 3 marks per game at the Champs. He needs to get into the open more and present as an unmarked target.

At the moment most of his marks are contested and his outside game needs to improve. He needs to be taught to spots to run to to receive. He works hard in his repeat efforts and I don’t think he idles at a particularly high rate. He has a reputation for having good endurance but I think this is something which needs to improve if he is going to get the best out of himself (he didn’t test at the Combine). He needs to cover more ground and present himself as an easy option. He has a powerful build which will only improve once he matures and is put on an AFL strength program. He has good strength over the ball and excellent strength in the air. He is a kid who is hard to move when they are in the air if you know what I mean. On the ground he has good balance and brushes arm tackles well. He is not hugely elusive but is not the worst in this regard either and is not easy to tackle.

He is a reasonable but not exceptional kick of the ball and his penetration is nothing to write home about (but neither is it bad just middle of the pack). When he has time he looks very nice style wise and he chips and picks out men well. His handballs can be a bit hit and miss and I think this is something that needs to be worked on. He shows excellent awareness in the contest of where everyone is but sometimes his execution of the simple will let him down. There are occasions though when he slips a handball out to someone he has no right to be aware is even there. He has no problem getting right into the thick of things in the contest and put himself at the bottom of packs. He has good ball winning skills in those types of situations.

Overall he is a good inside mid who can do a job up forward but he is also a prospect who might not have the ceiling of some of the other prospects but does not have the risk either. He will play and do so well."

Certainly some similarities there to how Poholke has been described, if he turns out as good as Parker we'll be laughing!!!

Looks to be settling in well...

15535088_976356349136001_4472664167643348992_n.jpg

361 likes
2h

I am wondering about the Lyons trade and the strategy behind it.

Did the Poholke recruitment result out of general plans or a specific strategy?

Was Lyons traded out of a (what must be said is a new ) general principle to trade depth or did we specify an opportunity or a blend of the two. Did we identify Poholke and then estimate where he'd be and then figure out how to get there and then try a few things and finally end up with the Lyons trade or did we just intend to turn over some depth, so we lowballed Lyons, got him to move, waited to see what it would return, then in a separate plan, did we identify a list of targets and Poholke was second (or third, or fourth) on that list and the Lyons pick allowed the stars to align (plus possibly selection made by other clubs).

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. I like Lyons, I think he'll end up a pretty handy footballer by the time his career is over, however, Poholke is an extremely interesting prospect. Already some sort of unit and by his combine, a fair bit of untapped athletic potential. Should reach solid B grade at min, with potential for a fair bit better. Also, the career trajectory will be interesting, could get games very early, but we aren't exactly the easiest team to break into.

Now this is from mostly the scuttlebutt and posting from here, but it felt like Adelaide didn't rate him and were pushing him out. Offered , to Lyons , a rubbish deal. He asked for a trade. At the same time Gibbs was happening and I felt Adelaide were doing there best for a pick under 30 for him to offer Carlton with 1.

Once they received the deal they had for Lyons they were then in trouble. Poholke was someone they then hoped would be in that draft area

At pick 44 you really dont know whos going to be there on your list.
They undersold Lyons without a doubt. His last years form was worth way more than we got for him.
As I have said 100 times, we need to bring in someone who is better able to get results at the trade table from a value point of view.
We gave up the best player in the game last year for a mid first and second round pick. Its an issue.

I'm definitely of the opinion we should have been harder re: Lyons at the trade table. We gave up 32 for Seed, who played less footy in 2015 than Lyons did this year. We should have got at least that, IMO.

That said, I think we've got our value back plus some with Poholke.

I'm definitely of the opinion we should have been harder re: Lyons at the trade table. We gave up 32 for Seed, who played less footy in 2015 than Lyons did this year. We should have got at least that, IMO.

Thing is, Lyons is a dime a dozen.. Seed has a specific skill set that breaks zones apart (65m boot) as seen by his Anzac Day medalist performance in 2015, Lyons isn't capable of that.

Thing is, Lyons is a dime a dozen.. Seed has a specific skill set that breaks zones apart (65m boot) as seen by his Anzac Day medalist performance in 2015, Lyons isn't capable of that.
Gather we decided we are going to play players with greater upside than Lyons... so was in his best interests to move as he is a solid contributor. Good luck to him at a gold coast.

Yeah you've hit the nail on the head. Upside buys you a lot, Lyons is a solid footballer, but lacks upside. I think we got done a bit, but probably not by much. I was hoping a pick in the 20's, but really it would have need pants down laps around the table stuff.

At the end of the day I'm not too fussed, Lyons might have a reasonable career with GC, but i doubt we'll be ruing the day we let him go, similar to Wright and Kerrige.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but I think Seedsman has been dining out on that Anzac Day performance for a fair while now. He needs to start producing that more consistently if he's going to last in this game. I do rate him as a player, but needs more consistency.

Wanting more is not going to get you more, the deal was done on the last day which tells you they held out hoping to get a better offer, but if no one is willing to pay more, then you are not going to get more.

Why do other teams consistantly get more?

Confirmation bias, there's 17 other teams, there will always be deals that are better when you are comparing yourself to the entire field. There are also deals that are equally worse if you are looking for them. But the victorian teams have an advantage of being able to swap players between each other with less player objection, so they are more able to shape better deals.

True, but I think Seedsman has been dining out on that Anzac Day performance for a fair while now. He needs to start producing that more consistently if he's going to last in this game. I do rate him as a player, but needs more consistency.

I agree. If anything I have a bias towards Seedsman as he was a Vic player in a Vic team that wanted to come to us. But I have heard the term vanilla player used regularly on BF and this guy is looking more and more vanilla every game. He does have the bonus of a long kick flavour topping ;). This guy really needs to show a footy brain now. Has weapons but no mass destruction.

I don't know how hard you can push at someone who you are actively looking to trade.

Had Lyons jumped before being pushed you may have a point, but odds are he was pushed which does lower worth dramatically.

Wanting more is not going to get you more, the deal was done on the last day which tells you they held out hoping to get a better offer, but if no one is willing to pay more, then you are not going to get more.
He requested a trade quite late in the trade period though, there was not much time to negotiate. Had he requested one earlier, and had longer to push for a better deal, who knows what pick we may have got.
I don't know how hard you can push at someone who you are actively looking to trade.

Had Lyons jumped before being pushed you may have a point, but odds are he was pushed which does lower worth dramatically.
This is a fair point. Sounds like we really didn't want him anymore, which is quite strange given he played 20 games for us last year.

This is a fair point. Sounds like we really didn't want him anymore, which is quite strange given he played 20 games for us last year.

True, that said it felt like a "get something whilst we can" move from us. Lyons did play 20 games, but arguably was the most in danger of losing his spot seeing he was in one of the forward mid roles; especially as we expect Milera/Knight/Menzel etc to push on.

The other position available is a pure inside midfielder, but even then he's behind Matt Crouch and offers no real point of difference to him.

He was in no mans land, and had no hope of getting out of that here bar injuries.

Confirmation bias, there's 17 other teams, there will always be deals that are better when you are comparing yourself to the entire field. There are also deals that are equally worse if you are looking for them. But the victorian teams have an advantage of being able to swap players between each other with less player objection, so they are more able to shape better deals.
Lets compare what West Coast got for Judd, what GWS got for Trelor and what Collingwood got for Beams to what we got for Danger.
Lets compare what we gave up for Seedsman and Hampton vs what we got for Lyons.

True, that said it felt like a "get something whilst we can" move from us. Lyons did play 20 games, but arguably was the most in danger of losing his spot seeing he was in one of the forward mid roles; especially as we expect Milera/Knight/Menzel etc to push on.

The other position available is a pure inside midfielder, but even then he's behind Matt Crouch and offers no real point of difference to him.

He was in no mans land, and had no hope of getting out of that here bar injuries.
I do agree that he would have been pushed out of our side during this year, with the likes of Knight (who I reckon will play Lyons' forward/mid role this year) coming through. I'm fine with him being traded as well, gives us more currency to pick up a player with greater upside (like Poholke).

All I think is that we could have made it a bit less of a 'get something whilst we can' move. Surely someone who has played 20 games in a season, and has proven to be a good performer at AFL level, is worth more than an early 3rd round pick, even if their upside isn't great? Heck, Trent West got to Brisbane for pick 41 in a draft that has proven to be one of the stronger ones in recent years (2013).

He requested a trade quite late in the trade period though, there was not much time to negotiate. Had he requested one earlier, and had longer to push for a better deal, who knows what pick we may have got.

Not unlike Matt Wright in some ways who we delisted...:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back