MMA-UFC UFC 207: Nunes v Rousey

Remove this Banner Ad

Huh? That's almost the same thing as i said but rehashed in a different vocab and it just happened again...

Of course she is going to work the clinch, throw, submit, but believing you can box and I repeat, the BS going around about Floyd after Bethe got her in serious trouble...

Holly countered her after timing her because she kept coming in a striking manner... Nunes just went straight through her little attempt at jab jab get closer...

Edmund made her believe this and like i called it in my first post on the matter and NOW 80% of the keyboard pros offering advice, she needs to go to Jacksons or like wise to learn how to clinch against elite strikers...

I think you're right that we're saying much the same thing slightly differently. Ronda's hubris over her own boxing had nothing to do with her loss to Holm which was what I was replying to from your initial post. That she had to punch her way in to the clinch doesn't mean she thought she could out box Holly.... how else was she going to get there otherwise?

I mostly agree with the rest of your points, but think a change of camp now wouldn't help too much. From all reports her knees are in a pretty bad way which means she isn't able to work much on her wrestling and the bad habits in her stand up are pretty well ingrained by now.

I was just thinking about Cruz chin/ability to recover.

Dom was dropped on 4 or 5 occasions and instantly bounced up to his feet and swung bombs back, all while using his patented head movement. I doubt that head movement was anything more than instinct, but it was fairly effective considering.

I cant think of a fight/fighter where that level of heart/toughness/chin has been displayed stright back back into offence. Kongo vs barry is similar but Kongo was basically a zombie at that point.

And to do it verse a guy who has slept all but one of his opponents to this point.

The fact im even talking about Dom like this is a massive credit to Cody. What an amazing performance. Didnt beleive he could do it, but his clearly a special talent.

The counter right hand in the 4th round was the only knockdown where I thought Cruz was clearly rocked (I thought he was out to be honest). The rest were a combination of good punches and a fighter being slightly off balance, but agree that it was an incredible effort to not only bounce up every time but to actually continue fighting relatively effectively.

Agree completely on Cody's performance. I thought Cruz would have way too much for him at this stage of his career, but was incredibly impressed with his performance. I read somewhere about comparing Cody's opportunity to the one Jones received back at UFC 128 against Shogun. Everyone knew Jon was a talent, but nobody expected him to utterly dominate Shogun the way he did. It was Cody's chance to shine and he shone about as brightly as he could have. Making Cruz lead with his looping punches gave him a chance to score with quick counters, but even when they were in the midst of a firefight he looked like he had the quicker hands which was surprising to me. His wrestling looked great too... I expected Cruz would be able to take him down when he wanted.

I kinda feel bad for Ronda
Yeh her head got huge but she has come down crushing hard
The way she stood up in shock/distress after it got called.....i felt sad for her

I was a bit the same. I've never pretended to like Ronda and enjoyed watching her get humbled in the Holm fight. I didn't take any joy out of watching Nunes walk through her though.

I kinda feel bad for Ronda
Yeh her head got huge but she has come down crushing hard
The way she stood up in shock/distress after it got called.....i felt sad for her
I was cheering * you ronda and throwing up double middles to the screen in a crowded bar in Seminyak. Loved every second of her demise.

Haha it's fine that you felt sorry for her. I just think she is the worst bully in the sport, a sore loser and a wuss, so I was very happy to see her lose.

She's up there with Aldo and DC as my most hated fighters in MMA
She was a sore loser 4 sure
I hated all that part about her also

At this point I feel like she is almost a victim though.
Like the Macaulay Culkin of female UFC. I worry for her mental health

I was overseas for a few weeks so missed most of the banter that invariably comes from a Ronda fight but I know my buddies in here always look forward to my musings on the big cards... Haha, yeh right, but im gonna do it anyway, also I have a great story from watching this in a sports bar in Bali that's actually worth the read.

Borg looked good, everyone in that division is like 5% behind DJ anyway but he looked good.
I love DHK but this was a weird fight, I thought Saffediene won
TJ looked great, him and Cody gonna be brilliant, I think TJ is doing Cruz stuff but he might be doing it better... Im unsure but I cant wait for that fight.

Cody v Cruz, was always gonna be the fight of the card, even if it was just to watch Cruz do what he does. Might have just been me but I think Cruz was forced into being the aggressor here and im not sure how or why, he is normally the king of sticking to his game plan and working his own angles, no question at all Codys handspeed and footwork and head movement (which were all exceptional, like just once in a lifetime performance stuff) but Cruz seemed to be forcing it more than weve seen before. Grabrandt was just exceptional and with his age, development to come (which is always a bit who knows) and his KO power he could have a long reign. The most exceptional part of the fight for me was the takedown he landed, that was a legitimate "oh WOW" moment.

Nunes v A Punching Bag, no suprises, I won a stack of cash on this. I think in a grander context MMA is a young sport (call it 30 years) Womens MMA even younger, in reality elite womens MMA is like 3 years old so I think were seeing the sports evolution. Ronda fought and beat girls who were smaller, less athletic and less well trained so someone like Ronda could make up for the obvious holes in her game (ala Royce beating all comers back in the day), you also cant blame her or denigrate her acheivements because of that, her run was jaw dropping and likely not the sort of thing we will ever see again. On Nunes she is good, very good, scary powerfula nd scary big but shes beatable too, that division still seems like anyone with a single skillset that is elite and other areas being serviceable could beat anyone (Rondas boxing is just woeful).

On Ronda... Man, its bad. I always got taught it doesn't matter how good you are if you wanna box you will get hit, and 8 ounce gloves make it nigh on impossible to block with your hands. Her reaction to getting hit is probably the weirdest thing ive ever seen. A mate the other day was saying her chin is awful, I disagree, she didn't go out and even against Holly it took a thunderous shot to the neck to KO her, her chin is tough and she is tough but when she gets stung she doesn't really fight or flight she just kind of freezes. Feet together, chin up, hands away and completely still, she doesn't cover up or shoot (the most common reactions). I think weve seen the last of her in the cage, the only way she comes back is is she completely rededicates herself and has some sort of uncontrollable desire... and a new coach. Given the money shes made I don't see that happening.

My funny story... I watched the card at a sports bar in Bali on new years day, im sure you can imagine the clientele a place like that gets... Anyway I sat by myself having a chat to some people near me and it became quite obvious to those around me that I watch UFC a lot and know more than the average punter (not a brag just a fact). Literally no one watched any fights they were all there to see Ronda so most of the questions were "when is Ronda on" I started to tell people that if they were only going to watch one fight it should be Cruz v Cody. After the Cody fight the people next to me (table of 10 or so drunken Aussies) started hanging s**t on Maddux Maple (im sure you all know who he is by now) I politely leaned over and said "that kid has beaten cancer and Cody considers him his guardian angel, Cody will probably wrap that belt around his waist in a minute" sure enough he did and said table felt pretty sheepish. Then they asked me who the dude with the long hair and weird chin was saying "he looks familiar" I told them it was Urijah Faber and explained the Alpha Male v Cruz beef and said he was a pioneer in the sport. This led to them assuming I was an expert and asking me "What minute of the first round Ronda would win" (cue whole table cheering) I responded "Ronda will get KO'd, probably in the first round, possibly inside the first minute", they all booed and called me a hater, I replied "look anything can happen in MMA but I have three bets on this fight, Nunes to win, Nunes to win by KO and Nunes to win in the first round, I'd say a loss for her is about as sure a thing as there is, her head movement is awful and Nunes is too strong for Ronda to bully, think back to all those videos of Ronda boxing, theres never anyone else with her is there? Its easy to look good hitting pads, they don't hit back".

Cue fight, Ronda gets KTFO, table all turn to me as if im a demigod, I looked back at them, smiled and said "easy money" finished my beer and walked out. The mug MMA fan might be my new favourite thing.

Great stuff phantom13. I'll mostly keep to myself when watching the fights as I like to concentrate but have had similar conversations in the past. The one that sticks out was during the Brock vs Cain card; I was listening to some drunk guy amaze his friends about stories of the old UFC days where a guy named Grace Hoysey beat everyone with inverted fingerlocks. He then started telling his friends about how unstoppable Brock was and that he was going to massacre Cain because he was better than him everywhere. I laughed, so he looked at me and asked my opinion. I told him that Cain would do what Carwin did, only he'd finish the job and sure enough he had him break dancing all across the octagon inside 4 minutes. Unlike you, I didn't have any money riding on it. :(

Agree with most of what you said. From what I saw the main difference with Cruz was that Cody was making him lead more often than not. Dom is usually great at drawing people to strike first at him so that he can counter with his wide shots after he has angled off. Cody, rather than chasing and trying to land the big punch was happy to stay just out of range and clown Cruz. When Cruz did lead with his wide, looping punches, Cody did a great job of just staying out of range and was able to Catch Cruz with counters when he was over-extended. I think the clowning also paid off for him as Cruz was seeming to load up on his punches more than usual. It was a terrific performance from a guy so young in the game and I'm looking forward to seeing both the Dillashaw fight and the rematch with Cruz to see what adjustments the former champ makes.

The worst crowd ive ever seen was watching the Mayweather v Pacquio fight. Guys spouting "knowledge" then asking how long rounds go for and how they score rounds "is a head shot 3 points and a body shot like 2 points". MMA is so unpredictable so even the experts have a hard time picking it but ive never understood someone who will have an argument with you when they know they have no clue about the sport. I don't watch Rugby Union so im not gonna argue it in any capacity with someone who does. I think combat sports are victim to the uninformed going "I can throw a punch therefore I am an expert".

I think Cody actually did a good job of cutting the cage and minimising Cruz's exits (Jack Slack does a great article on ring cutting and the lack of it in MMA) its the only explanation I can come up with for why Cruz seemed to be much more... aggressive (probably the wrong word given he always throws a lot but he seemed to be throwing a lot more without any real movement or set up).

I also thought it was funny watching Cruz straight after TJ and seeing that loopy lead jab with your face miles away from it from both of them,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was overseas for a few weeks so missed most of the banter that invariably comes from a Ronda fight but I know my buddies in here always look forward to my musings on the big cards... Haha, yeh right, but im gonna do it anyway, also I have a great story from watching this in a sports bar in Bali that's actually worth the read.

Borg looked good, everyone in that division is like 5% behind DJ anyway but he looked good.
I love DHK but this was a weird fight, I thought Saffediene won
TJ looked great, him and Cody gonna be brilliant, I think TJ is doing Cruz stuff but he might be doing it better... Im unsure but I cant wait for that fight.

Cody v Cruz, was always gonna be the fight of the card, even if it was just to watch Cruz do what he does. Might have just been me but I think Cruz was forced into being the aggressor here and im not sure how or why, he is normally the king of sticking to his game plan and working his own angles, no question at all Codys handspeed and footwork and head movement (which were all exceptional, like just once in a lifetime performance stuff) but Cruz seemed to be forcing it more than weve seen before. Grabrandt was just exceptional and with his age, development to come (which is always a bit who knows) and his KO power he could have a long reign. The most exceptional part of the fight for me was the takedown he landed, that was a legitimate "oh WOW" moment.

Nunes v A Punching Bag, no suprises, I won a stack of cash on this. I think in a grander context MMA is a young sport (call it 30 years) Womens MMA even younger, in reality elite womens MMA is like 3 years old so I think were seeing the sports evolution. Ronda fought and beat girls who were smaller, less athletic and less well trained so someone like Ronda could make up for the obvious holes in her game (ala Royce beating all comers back in the day), you also cant blame her or denigrate her acheivements because of that, her run was jaw dropping and likely not the sort of thing we will ever see again. On Nunes she is good, very good, scary powerfula nd scary big but shes beatable too, that division still seems like anyone with a single skillset that is elite and other areas being serviceable could beat anyone (Rondas boxing is just woeful).

On Ronda... Man, its bad. I always got taught it doesn't matter how good you are if you wanna box you will get hit, and 8 ounce gloves make it nigh on impossible to block with your hands. Her reaction to getting hit is probably the weirdest thing ive ever seen. A mate the other day was saying her chin is awful, I disagree, she didn't go out and even against Holly it took a thunderous shot to the neck to KO her, her chin is tough and she is tough but when she gets stung she doesn't really fight or flight she just kind of freezes. Feet together, chin up, hands away and completely still, she doesn't cover up or shoot (the most common reactions). I think weve seen the last of her in the cage, the only way she comes back is is she completely rededicates herself and has some sort of uncontrollable desire... and a new coach. Given the money shes made I don't see that happening.

My funny story... I watched the card at a sports bar in Bali on new years day, im sure you can imagine the clientele a place like that gets... Anyway I sat by myself having a chat to some people near me and it became quite obvious to those around me that I watch UFC a lot and know more than the average punter (not a brag just a fact). Literally no one watched any fights they were all there to see Ronda so most of the questions were "when is Ronda on" I started to tell people that if they were only going to watch one fight it should be Cruz v Cody. After the Cody fight the people next to me (table of 10 or so drunken Aussies) started hanging s**t on Maddux Maple (im sure you all know who he is by now) I politely leaned over and said "that kid has beaten cancer and Cody considers him his guardian angel, Cody will probably wrap that belt around his waist in a minute" sure enough he did and said table felt pretty sheepish. Then they asked me who the dude with the long hair and weird chin was saying "he looks familiar" I told them it was Urijah Faber and explained the Alpha Male v Cruz beef and said he was a pioneer in the sport. This led to them assuming I was an expert and asking me "What minute of the first round Ronda would win" (cue whole table cheering) I responded "Ronda will get KO'd, probably in the first round, possibly inside the first minute", they all booed and called me a hater, I replied "look anything can happen in MMA but I have three bets on this fight, Nunes to win, Nunes to win by KO and Nunes to win in the first round, I'd say a loss for her is about as sure a thing as there is, her head movement is awful and Nunes is too strong for Ronda to bully, think back to all those videos of Ronda boxing, theres never anyone else with her is there? Its easy to look good hitting pads, they don't hit back".

Cue fight, Ronda gets KTFO, table all turn to me as if im a demigod, I looked back at them, smiled and said "easy money" finished my beer and walked out. The mug MMA fan might be my new favourite thing.
Which bar where you in?? I watched it in Bali too. Sooo many Rhonda fans there.

Either way it was a dive, with an awful (im fairly sure pirated) stream of the fight and a whole bunch of people who only came to watch Ronda and left pretty disappointed.
Sounds like being at 193 in person.

s**t view, the majority of the people there didnt know anything about the sport and only went to see rousey and left disappointed.

I see a trend.

Sounds like being at 193 in person.

s**t view, the majority of the people there didnt know anything about the sport and only went to see rousey and left disappointed.

I see a trend.

Conor and Ronda attract all the non fans, which is fine, but I don't understand why if you openly know nothing about any sport you would spout off like youre an expert even to other non fans.

In the grand scheme of things randos at a pub or stadium acting like they know s**t when they don't isn't that bad. When I first started posting here I bet I acted like I knew a lot more about MMA than I did. s**t, it's probably true even now.

People at pubs overstating their knowledge is a hell of a lot better than people like Clay Travis and Skip Bayless getting paid good money to spout bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back