Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember Walker and Gunston not getting games despite their talent? A product of this culture. We even have an award for the best trainer which is completely irrelevant because training doesn't necessarily translate to ability.

We only recently (since Walsh) have started reversing this sort of thing

If people repeat a false statement often enough does it become a fact?

Fact 1; Only three key position forwards drafted in the last 20 years have played more AFL games than Tex before their 21st birthday. The myth begins when we brought him to Adelaide as a 17 year old and due to an anomaly in the NSW Rookie rules he was eligible to play before his draft year.

Fact 2; Gunston played most of his first year in the Bulldog Twos. Gutsy decision to drag a tallish stick insect from the CDFC seconds into the AFL. He looked much better in his second year and it could be argued that if Craig remained he would not have been promoted, or maybe he would have been given a game.

Fact 3; In what universe was Dear a Replacement for JJ? How many minutes ( or microseconds) did Dear play in ruck in the SANFL? The like for like replacement was Hunter.

Interesting to read the heights and weights of the draftees listed on the AFC website:

Gallucci: 182cm, 78kg
Poholke: 186cm, 84kg
Himmelberg: 198cm, 89kg
Signorello: 186cm, 73kg
Davis: 188cm, 79kg
Jarman: 174cm, 69kg

Seems like half of our list have added an extra a cm or 2 looking at the updated stats.

Edit: Except for Charlie who has apparently shrunk 3 cm.

Will time my next trip to Adelaide to go to the next open training
You just be sure to pack your glasses this time......;)
582Efc.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If people repeat a false statement often enough does it become a fact?

Fact 1; Only three key position forwards drafted in the last 20 years have played more AFL games than Tex before their 21st birthday. The myth begins when we brought him to Adelaide as a 17 year old and due to an anomaly in the NSW Rookie rules he was eligible to play before his draft year.

Fact 2; Gunston played most of his first year in the Bulldog Twos. Gutsy decision to drag a tallish stick insect from the CDFC seconds into the AFL. He looked much better in his second year and it could be argued that if Craig remained he would not have been promoted, or maybe he would have been given a game.

Fact 3; In what universe was Dear a Replacement for JJ? How many minutes ( or microseconds) did Dear play in ruck in the SANFL? The like for like replacement was Hunter.

Agreed my eyes tell me Dear is Walker's replacement.

It's not just based on VB and Mackay. It's also based on guys with talent having to spend significant time in the reserves before getting selected (I used Walker and Gunston as examples). More recently guys like CEY and Wigg have struggled to get a game despite showing at lower levels that they had talent. They're not guys you hear about dominating the track.

It doesn't apply to everyone, and it's been less of an issue recently.
Except that your use of Walker & Gunston completely invalidates your argument...

Walker, in particular, had aspects of his game which just weren't up to scratch - most notably his defensive efforts. Once he worked on these, he started getting AFL games on a consistent basis. Had nothing to do with him being a poor trainer, or anything even remotely like it.

Gunston had talent, he just wasn't physically ready. By the end of his second season he was playing fairly consistently in our AFL team.. and then he walked out. Once again, nothing to do with training performance.

CEY is just the same. There are things the selectors want to see that he's just not delivering. That's in the SANFL games, not just on the training track. There is more to being an AFL performer than just racking up disposals in the SANFL. Sadly, most supporters fail (or refuse) to see this. The coaches (and the umpires) didn't rate him anywhere near as highly as the spectators watching in the stands.

Interesting to read the heights and weights of the draftees listed on the AFC website:

Gallucci: 182cm, 78kg
Poholke: 186cm, 84kg
Himmelberg: 198cm, 89kg
Signorello: 186cm, 73kg
Davis: 188cm, 79kg
Jarman: 174cm, 69kg

Some light weights there, didn't realise Jarman was so slight. Galluci definetly will need a year in the gym to get at least above 80kilo needs 3 or 4 kilo of lean muscle and with the amount of running they do that's going to take 12 months to put on. He will play a game or two this year of the bench and not in the thick of it to give him a taste

Some light weights there, didn't realise Jarman was so slight. Galluci definetly will need a year in the gym to get at least above 80kilo needs 3 or 4 kilo of lean muscle and with the amount of running they do that's going to take 12 months to put on. He will play a game or two this year of the bench and not in the thick of it to give him a taste
If we weren't a contending team, I'd say Gallucci would play more, but at this stage I'm only expecting about five games from him at the most.

Our club loves guys that train well, run well, but aren't actually that skilled.

I can't imagine a guy like Mackay or Van Berlo would have lasted nearly as long in an AFL system if they were only average to poor on the training track (to match their AFL skill)
I think you are overstating this

If we recruited based on beep test results, that would be a problem. Clearly we don't do that.

For our existing players, improving their fitness has only one cost, which is the opportunity cost they weren't doing some other training instead. Returning from off season in good condition is effectively free.

Other successful clubs also require decent fitness levels. Eg we saw Geelong shopping Motlop in part due to concerns with his fitness levels/professionalism.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-20...nough-for-crows-midfield-20160215-gmumva.html

Has this message come out about any other players? There's no pattern I'm aware of. It seems to be Menzel-specific.

VB was a good player for a significant period of time. He struggled at the end with injury.

Mackay does actually need decent fitness to play his role. But I suspect his selection is more about general conservatism with selections, rather than based on fitness levels.

If we selected our team based on time trial results you would think Jake Kelly would get a game at some point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back