Best group of young players in the AFL

Who has the best top end talent in players under 24 years of age?

• GWS

Votes: 135 42.1%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 74 23.1%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 30 9.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 22 6.9%
  • Carlton

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • WCE

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 21 6.5%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 19 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering along with many of the guys being drafted by the CFC now, are there to add more than just the odd individual highlights.
Weitering over Stringer every day of the week.
Dogs just draft players who provide the odd individual highlight I guess. Need to take some notes from SOS's playbook.

Stringer arguably has the most potential of anyone under 23 in the comp.
Agree to disagree?

This head class could just be because im a hawks supporter and ive seen many more elite fwds then defenders represent my team.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The way i see st kilda is: there top end isnt nearly as great as the teams around them but the bat so ruddy deep.

Example: Melbournes yourth is better 1 for 1 but there isnt as many.

Yes, but so does Melbournes.

I did add in the following after you quoted me:
......Put it this way: If you put both teams best young six on the open market, you'll get a better return for Melbournes players.....

Yes, but so does Melbournes.

I did add in the following after you quoted me:
......Put it this way: If you put both teams best young six on the open market, you'll get a better return for Melbournes players.....
Yeah i actually agree with you melbourne will do much better with there crop of example: 5 A grade 10 B grade then saiths will with there 25 B grade***

**** == example not fact.

Edit: melbourne has to be my 2nd fav team right now, im in love with Gawn and Viney.

I understand this. Im a massive fan of Weitering, only young player under 20 i rate higher then my boy Burton. But players who kick goals can be seen as more important.

Maybe ive been blessed with ignorance supporting a team that has had an abundance of proficient goal kickers.

Burton?? Whaa??

Talking about Stringer. Is he a good team man and does he add value off the field?
I think he became a lot better this year. Look at his finals series. Pass to Dickson to seal the game vs GWS and pass to Picken to seal the Grand Final. He wouldn't have done that twelve months ago.

I don't see any issue with him off field. He is much more than 'the odd individual highlight'.

He had a crook shoulder for the second half of the year and personal stuff going on. Twelve months time and he'll be spoken about as one of the best in the comp again. I'm almost certain of it.

Saints top 6 youngsters for argument's sake -

McCartin Acres Billings Ross Gresham Membrey

Plenty of proven and unproven potential from this 6, but who knows what the future holds

Saints top 6 youngsters for argument's sake -

McCartin Acres Billings Ross Gresham Membrey

Plenty of proven and unproven potential from this 6, but who knows what the future holds

McCartin....Acres....Billings....Ross....Gresham....Membrey
.....vs.........vs..........vs..........vs..........vs............vs......
Hogan.....Petracca...Oliver...Brayshaw..Viney....Weideman

On ability/projected ability, you'd just about go a Melbourne player every time.
I know we haven't seen much of Weideman yet, but he's a beauty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way i see st kilda is: there top end isnt nearly as great as the teams around them but the bat so ruddy deep.

Example: Melbournes yourth is better 1 for 1 but there isnt as many.
Yeah, I've been quite surprised to see us 3rd in the voting in this poll (unless all the votes for us were by those who barrack for us!), as I see huge potential in our best 5 or 6 under 24yo, but wouldn't say they are as sure a bet as those at some other clubs and that the strength of our under 24yo group lies more in how many who look like they could be AFL quality there are.

There are so many of them that a bunch of them are going to really struggle to get into the team in the near future, when if we'd drafted them say 2 or 3 years earlier they'd have been playing most, if not every week by this point in their careers, like a Newnes.

Competition for spots is going to be fierce amongst them.

Last edited:
You absolutely are. And i rated Burton in his year and thought you got a bit of a steal. But he wouldn't be in the top 30 or 40 kids under 22.
I rate him highly, he was projected to be top 3 alongside Weitering in his draft year but because of injury droped substantial. I think he has completely overcome thise concerns and from what i saw of him late 2016 i saw glaring comparison to other high top end talent (weitering).

There is somthing about those 2 that just makes me so sure there going to be superstars.

Although i completely understand other people holding reservation over Burton because of his lack of exposure.

Yeah, I've been quite surprised to see us 3rd in the voting in this poll (unless all the votes for us were by those who barrack for us!), as I see huge potential in our best 5 or 6 under 24yo, but wouldn't say they are as sure a bet as those at some other clubs and that the strength of our under 24yo group lies more in how many who look like they could be AFL quality there are.

There are so many of them that a bunch of them are going to really struggle to get into the team in the near future, when if we'd drafted them say 2 or 3 years earlier they'd have been playing most, if not every week by this point in their careers, like a Newnes.

Competition for spots is going to be fierce amongst them.
Absolutely! And you only need 1 or 2 of them to turn it on to a stevens level to push ahead.

I'd love to hear an explanation on how Weitering is a better player than Stringer. Jake had a year filled with injury and personal issues and still kicked 42 goals from 23 games.
Well he was ranked statistically as No. 2 in the AFL already as goals conceded as a defender (already). You can almost see the optimism of Carlton fans when you look a bit closer and see Plowman's name and know that Marchbank will be slotting in their too. Get excited people IMG_1297.JPG

Absolutely! And you only need 1 or 2 of them to turn it on to a stevens level to push ahead.

I feel like Koby will be a good player for us but if only 1 or 2 of our younger players reach his level I'll be pretty disappointed....

I feel like Koby will be a good player for us but if only 1 or 2 of our younger players reach his level I'll be pretty disappointed....
Did i miss a " ' " ?

He was also top 10 mid season before his injury for intercept marks. Which is truly his best quality. When the ball goes inside 50 on average about 50 times and he's responsible for marking a fair chunk of them. Wait till he's had a full pre season (traditionally huge upside for many players in year 2) and matures.

You absolutely are. And i rated Burton in his year and thought you got a bit of a steal. But he wouldn't be in the top 30 or 40 kids under 22.
On output to date, no he wouldn't, but the kid managed to cement his spot in a side that finished the season in the top 4, after missing 3 months in the middle of the year from having pins removed from his leg, so he goes alright. That's a pretty magnificent effort.

I would not be at all surprised if he is in the top 30 kids under 22 by this time next year, remembering that prior to his knee injury pre-draft plenty of people suggested he'd be a top 5 pick and some even likened him to a young Carey.

Seems the club know he has it all before him, by handing him the coveted number 5.

Weitering along with many of the guys being drafted by the CFC now, are there to add more than just the odd individual highlights.
Weitering over Stringer every day of the week.

Surprised some consider St.Kilda's youth better than Melbourne's.
Their top half a dozen players could be and should be, high end quality: Hogan, Petracca, Weideman, Brayshaw, Oliver, Viney etc.
Put it this way: If you put both teams best young six on the open market, you'll get a better return for Melbournes players.
The thing that may hold some of them back is, themselves.

Just feel that The Saints' guys may be the better team players.....and that counts for us much as talent alone.......but I may be wrong.
Amazing how quickly people can forget how well stringer was playing in 2016, along with the incredible amount of talent he possesses. Easily in the top three most talented youngsters in the game. You don't get picked in the AA team as a 20 year old for nothing. This isn't to say I don't rate weathering though, he is a extremely good player with massive potential. It seems now that after one down year while dealing with injury and person issues leads to a black mark against your name.

Well he was ranked statistically as No. 2 in the AFL already as goals conceded as a defender (already). You can almost see the optimism of Carlton fans when you look a bit closer and see Plowman's name and know that Marchbank will be slotting in their too. Get excited people View attachment 326621
Stringer kicked 18th most goals in the comp this year, infront of blokes like Hogan, Riewoldt, Wingard, Dixon and Lobb. All while getting smashed by the media every week for apparently playing crap. Plus having to manage a shoulder injury for the second half of the year. Plus having two young kids and breaking up with his misses. All at 22 years old.

Look at that video package. All from a bloke who the media will have you believe was s**t this year.

I'm not here to s**t on Weitering, he's an unbelievable talent and I'm not going to dispute that. But I firmly believe that Stringer is the most talented player under 23 years old in the comp. Even above Bontempelli.

Now does that make him the best player? Not at this stage. But I reckon once he gets a tank and can move into the midfield he will be. He's one of the few players in the comp who has that Judd/Dangerfield burst from a pack.

Back