Best group of young players in the AFL

Who has the best top end talent in players under 24 years of age?

• GWS

Votes: 135 42.1%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 74 23.1%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 30 9.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 22 6.9%
  • Carlton

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • WCE

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 21 6.5%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 19 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't to say I don't rate weathering though, he is a extremely good player with massive potential. It seems now that after one down year while dealing with injury and person issues leads to a black mark against your name.[/QUOTE

Weathering heights are better...........sung in a floaty high voice. :)

Ok Stringer is the package and all convo stops there. You have your opinion and I have mine. No harm done.

Well he was ranked statistically as No. 2 in the AFL already as goals conceded as a defender (already). You can almost see the optimism of Carlton fans when you look a bit closer and see Plowman's name and know that Marchbank will be slotting in their too. Get excited people View attachment 326621

Sam Frost and Oscar Mcdonald are 6th and 7th on that list but everyone in the AFL knows they aren't 6th and 7th for key defenders
That's a selective Stat that just shows that someone else (Tmac) picks up the most dangerous defender

Stringer kicked 18th most goals in the comp this year, infront of blokes like Hogan, Riewoldt, Wingard, Dixon and Lobb. All while getting smashed by the media every week for apparently playing crap. Plus having to manage a shoulder injury for the second half of the year. Plus having two young kids and breaking up with his misses. All at 22 years old.

Look at that video package. All from a bloke who the media will have you believe was s**t this year.

I'm not here to s**t on Weitering, he's an unbelievable talent and I'm not going to dispute that. But I firmly believe that Stringer is the most talented player under 23 years old in the comp. Even above Bontempelli.

Now does that make him the best player? Not at this stage. But I reckon once he gets a tank and can move into the midfield he will be. He's one of the few players in the comp who has that Judd/Dangerfield burst from a pack.

I'm a little sick of the bulldogs hype train but I reckon Stringer has the most talent of any young kid in the competition, the way he can shake 3 tackles and launch a team lifting goal from 50 is something only a small handful of players can do

Bont is hyped and rightly so, but he isn't alone in what he does
Stringer is a player that almost no other club has.. we hope Petracca can do something similar

Well he was ranked statistically as No. 2 in the AFL already as goals conceded as a defender (already). You can almost see the optimism of Carlton fans when you look a bit closer and see Plowman's name and know that Marchbank will be slotting in their too. Get excited people View attachment 326621

It's hard to have goals kicked on you when you play as the loose man.

Any list that suggests Fletcher Roberts is better than Dale Morris is worthless.

It's hard to have goals kicked on you when you play as the loose man.

Any list that suggests Fletcher Roberts is better than Dale Morris is worthless.

Haha I just realized that list has Astbury and no Rance as if to drive home our point

He was also top 10 mid season before his injury for intercept marks. Which is truly his best quality. When the ball goes inside 50 on average about 50 times and he's responsible for marking a fair chunk of them. Wait till he's had a full pre season (traditionally huge upside for many players in year 2) and matures.
what? Ever heard of the 2nd year blues?

Biased obviously, but Crows should be in this poll as well, IMO. Lever, Laird, Milera, B Crouch, M Crouch, McGovern, Atkins, Cameron. That's a very good group for a top 8 side. Also guys like Menzel, Doedee and Gallucci, all first round picks (albeit unproven at AFL level) who I believe will contribute for us in the future.

I'd take that stat with a grain of salt if I were you. Rance somehow had more goals kicked against him than Astbury yet Astbury is crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer kicked 18th most goals in the comp this year, infront of blokes like Hogan, Riewoldt, Wingard, Dixon and Lobb. All while getting smashed by the media every week for apparently playing crap. Plus having to manage a shoulder injury for the second half of the year. Plus having two young kids and breaking up with his misses. All at 22 years old.

Look at that video package. All from a bloke who the media will have you believe was s**t this year.

I'm not here to s**t on Weitering, he's an unbelievable talent and I'm not going to dispute that. But I firmly believe that Stringer is the most talented player under 23 years old in the comp. Even above Bontempelli.

Now does that make him the best player? Not at this stage. But I reckon once he gets a tank and can move into the midfield he will be. He's one of the few players in the comp who has that Judd/Dangerfield burst from a pack.

I dont think he was terrible, but he everyone expected him to improve on his 2015 and he went slightly backwards. Plus he attempts to get too many scoring opportunites by lurking in the manner of a small goal sneak and got dropped for lack of defensive effort.

But yeah, Stringers 2016 is definately in the '1st world problem' category

Merrett is better than all three of them. He polled 19 Brownlow votes, which is one more than Cripps, 19 more than Weitering and 18 more than Docherty.

Cripps gets more clearances than Merrett but Merrett is more effective and gets more kicks and more possessions overall. Depends what type of mid you're after, but they're both good.

Weitering might be good, Cripps is about the same as Merrett and Docherty is better than Weitering now, but worse than the other two. Weitering might be better than them all, but he also might be worse than them all in the future, but for now, he's not as good.

If you can find me one comparable objective measure that they are better than Merrett in, then put it forward. Otherwise it's just a poor opinion.
Different players zac isnt better than cripps though thats a laugh more effective kicks because cripps barely kicks pointless stat. Zac is a absoloute gun but he isnt better than cripps

I'd take that stat with a grain of salt if I were you. Rance somehow had more goals kicked against him than Astbury yet Astbury is crap.
It was a statistic for weitering. At no point was it aimed at Richmond. It's a FIRST YEAR player.

Biased obviously, but Crows should be in this poll as well, IMO. Lever, Laird, Milera, B Crouch, M Crouch, McGovern, Atkins, Cameron. That's a very good group for a top 8 side. Also guys like Menzel, Doedee and Gallucci, all first round picks (albeit unproven at AFL level) who I believe will contribute for us in the future.
Wouldn't sweat it. AFL will see the quality we have racked up over the next couple of years.

B.Crouch, Lever, M.Crouch, Laird, Milera, McGovern, Atkins, Cameron, Doedee, Galluci, Menzel, Knight, Hampton, Obrien, Wigg, Poholke, Dear all coming on nicely whilst we have a senior group of Walker, Sloane, Talia, Jenkins, Lynch, Smith, Betts, Jacobs leading the way.

Wouldn't sweat it. AFL will see the quality we have racked up over the next couple of years.

B.Crouch, Lever, M.Crouch, Laird, Milera, McGovern, Atkins, Cameron, Doedee, Galluci, Menzel, Knight, Hampton, Obrien, Wigg, Poholke, Dear all coming on nicely whilst we have a senior group of Walker, Sloane, Talia, Jenkins, Lynch, Smith, Betts, Jacobs leading the way.
What's the deal with Doedee? I recall it was a massive shock and a perceived huge reach when he was drafted where he was when Gresham, Burton, Fiorini, McKay and others were still available.

What's the deal with Doedee? I recall it was a massive shock and a perceived huge reach when he was drafted where he was when Gresham, Burton, Fiorini, McKay and others were still available.
Seems a quality pick from what we've seen at SANFL level. Strong in the contest, good skills, clean, evasive, good defender and very athletic.
I'd expect he will get games this year.. looks a first rounder type. Medium turn upgrade on Cheney.
Plays a bit like Enright.

Seems a quality pick from what we've seen at SANFL level. Strong in the contest, good skills, clean, evasive, good defender and very athletic.
I'd expect he will get games this year.. looks a first rounder type. Medium turn upgrade on Cheney.
Plays a bit like Enright.
Cheers. Hopefully it translates to the top level. Was he injured last season or just couldn't get a game?

Cheers. Hopefully it translates to the top level. Was he injured last season or just couldn't get a game?
He was very light for majority of the year so may have struggled with the bigger bodies but has put on 7kg over the past year.
Team was settled for first half of the year and then his form built as the year on.. selectors chose to stick with existing team for consistency.

Collingwood's group has gone a little under the radar I think - perhaps it's declined a bit after 2016 due to injuries and a lack of form to some but:

Elite potential:
Adam Treloar - already elite but has potential to be a top 5 player in the comp and win a Brownlow.
Darcy Moore - one of the best contested marks I've seen on a guy his age. Has sky high potential to become one of the best forwards around.
Brodie Grundy - he doesn't have much competition around him but he is the best U23 ruck in the comp. Could be a top 2 ruck in two years time I think.
Taylor Adams - breakout year is coming I feel. He is a renewed man sitting on the HBF, he is an ultra mix of class and grunt. Beautiful player to watch.

High potential:
Jordan De Goey - he depends on where he plays. He won't get very far as a medium forwards like how he is, but as a pure inside mid, he'll be superb.
Brayden Maynard - about as good as medium defenders come at his age. Is the full package - attacks, defends, shuts down, rebounds etc. Watch out for him
Tom Langdon - as soon as he fixes his kicking, he could be one of the best mid-sized defenders in the comp. Very serviceable player already.
Jackson Ramsay - he hasn't played a lot, but he's been superb when he has played, producing the rebound from the back line.
James Aish - classy balanced midfielder who hits targets and kicks goals. Hasn't set the world on fire yet but he could come very good.
Jack Crisp - predominantly an outside mid with a massive boot, lots of leg speed, and a goal sense. Hopefully we haven't seen his peak already.
Will Hoskin-Elliott - didn't want him originally but we've seen what he can produce as a player, and if he can do it more often, he'll have a big reputation.

With a bit of luck could still be great:
Matthew Scharenberg - I'm not big on him after 3 years on constant injuries, but he was in my opinion the 2nd best player in the 2013 draft class and his lethal left foot could leave us shocked if he comes back fit. He's exactly what we need off half-back.
Mason Cox - Incredible set shot but a lack of durability and consistent influence leads me to be doubtful about his future.
Ben Crocker - looked lovely as a medium forward, but with Elliott back, added with WHE and Mayne joining, I don't know how much he'll play.
Rupert Wills - I'd put him in the above category but I don't want to look desperate after 5 games. He's a pressure machine and will be part of our future I believe.
Tim Broomhead - cruelled by injuries, he could still be a valuable small forward if he can become fit and keep a place in the side.

Back