Radio coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because you think you are too smart for it doesn't mean others don't find MMM style commentary entertaining
ABC grand stand could put a glass eye to sleep
Bang Crash!! He goes Whammy!

Yeah.. if that's entertaining then I'll have my ears permanently plugged so I don't have to hear it.

Because you clearly you can't understand the concept that not everyone thinks the same as you

Was a bit tongue in cheek, but I do struggle how anyone as a cricket fan could find the insights that Rogers, Katich and Nannes provide from the perspective as current/recently retire players as boring. Plenty of good natured humour to go with it too, so hardly dry stuff. Whateley and Maxwell are pro's in their roles as the ball-by-ball commentators and allow the experts to feed off them perfectly.

Listen to the ABC by force of habit due to growing up in the bush but the female commentators are just awful. I know the ABC have to be "sah progressive" these days but it just ruins it, could pull randoms out of the crowd and you'd get better insight.

Having said that the pommy bird is way better than the Aussie one.

I for one Like Allison Mitchell and Lisa Sthalekar on ABC, if anything I thought Jim had gone the way of Bruce, with the game having gone past him. I like the Mix of commentators but Agree its not what it used to be with Roebuck and co. All the current bunch bring something different and that makes for better commentary in my opinion.

I for one Like Allison Mitchell and Lisa Sthalekar on ABC, if anything I thought Jim had gone the way of Bruce, with the game having gone past him. I like the Mix of commentators but Agree its not what it used to be with Roebuck and co. All the current bunch bring something different and that makes for better commentary in my opinion.

Yeah nah yeah nah, definitely a convert re Mitchell since I made that post; she does know her s**t and doesn't have to force a "persona" to fit in like most other female commentators/hosts.

Not a fan of the likes of Wheeldon and Hull and that Alastair Nicholson though, they are just awkward and more suited to calling Saturday Twilight footy. Even Whateley doesn't really fit in seamlessly like he does calling most sports. Rogers, Katich and Nannes provide a bit from time to time but they're all very "samey". Grandstand ain't what it used to be that's for sure

The reasons why ABC Grandstand is better than the Triple M/3AW coverage of international cricket in Australia is-1) 60+ years covering Test cricket as opposed to 3AW who have restarted their coverage after a long absence; 2) Australia-wide broadcast; 3) Having international commentators on their radio coverage such as Jonathan Agnew (England), Harsha Bhogle (India) and Bryan Waddle (NZ).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your first point is literally not an argument. The best footy game day coverage the AFL has seen was Channel 10 from 02-06, which was their first time covering the game. Channel seven had it forever before that and it was (and still is) extremely stale and boring, experience doesn't count for s**t in that industry as long as the commentators know what they're talking about its fine.

(Seven may have been good in the early days of Footy on TV but broadcasting was a different game back then)

Was a bit tongue in cheek, but I do struggle how anyone as a cricket fan could find the insights that Rogers, Katich and Nannes provide from the perspective as current/recently retire players as boring. Plenty of good natured humour to go with it too, so hardly dry stuff. Whateley and Maxwell are pro's in their roles as the ball-by-ball commentators and allow the experts to feed off them perfectly.

I'm just more of a MMM man myself, I find the over analysis quite boring myself
Especially Whateley who I find wants to make every moment the most 'incredible amazing spectacular fantastic' ... return to the keeper

Personal opinion though right? That's why there are choices
It's why not everyone listens to the same music, eats different food, laughs at different comedy and likes different sports etc. Because people are different

I can't stand the campaigners like a certain fremantle poster who proclaim it's for the 'unwashed'
I quite enjoy the entertainment value added by triple MMM commentary because you rarely here any insights that aren't recycled cliches on the other stations from the experts

Even Shane Warnes advice to Lyon every session is 'toss it up, more flight'

I enjoy James Brayshaw commentating more than Mark Nicholas

If that makes me unintelligent in the eyes of some they need to take a hard look at themselves because intelligent people aren't so insecure they have to try and judge everyone around them

One thing the ABC could do is change the mix of their regular special comments people. Three recent ex-players is great in some ways but they don't have a lot of life to them, to be honest, and there's not a lot of variety in their viewpoints. Kerry O'Keeffe livened things up a bit, and Peter Roebuck, for example, added the perspective of a non-player, which can be very useful. Katich, Rogers and Nannes are all a bit too monotone for my liking, too.

And poor old Jim Maxwell may be on the way out. Couldn't remember Matt Renshaw's name the other day.

The ABC kind of mirrors Channel 9 in the sense that the Legendary Old Guard seemed to disappear quite quickly.

Jim Maxwell: stroke. Glenn Mitchell: depression. Peter Roebuck: went Full You-Know-What ("Harbhajan is a brave Sikh warrior for racially abusing the Aussies") then tragically died. Kerry O'Keefe: apparently eased out due to money.

Hopefully the new guard can continue the standards we expect.

The ABC kind of mirrors Channel 9 in the sense that the Legendary Old Guard seemed to disappear quite quickly.

Jim Maxwell: stroke. Glenn Mitchell: depression. Peter Roebuck: went Full You-Know-What ("Harbhajan is a brave Sikh warrior for racially abusing the Aussies") then tragically died. Kerry O'Keefe: apparently eased out due to money.

Hopefully the new guard can continue the standards we expect.

and Tim Lane went to 3AW

Bigger problem is lack of opportunities for the up and coming commentators to call a cricket game. Wasn't that long ago that ABC did regular, full-day Shield broadcasts, but now it is rare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that bugs me is we will go from FTA TV coverage and three radio stations covering the cricket here in Oz to no FTA TV and no radio coverage when we go to India. I know that it's not possible to cover the Indian tour on radio because it is prohibitively expensive but it's still annoying.

What happened to that Jarrod Kimber? He was great on the ABC imo. Only there for a summer and that South African tour though wasn't he?

What happened to that Jarrod Kimber? He was great on the ABC imo. Only there for a summer and that South African tour though wasn't he?
Works for cricinfo now and based in England I believe. He's on plenty of cricket podcasts if you miss the sound of his voice

I'm just more of a MMM man myself, I find the over analysis quite boring myself
Especially Whateley who I find wants to make every moment the most 'incredible amazing spectacular fantastic' ... return to the keeper

Personal opinion though right? That's why there are choices
It's why not everyone listens to the same music, eats different food, laughs at different comedy and likes different sports etc. Because people are different

I can't stand the campaigners like a certain fremantle poster who proclaim it's for the 'unwashed'
I quite enjoy the entertainment value added by triple MMM commentary because you rarely here any insights that aren't recycled cliches on the other stations from the experts

Even Shane Warnes advice to Lyon every session is 'toss it up, more flight'

I enjoy James Brayshaw commentating more than Mark Nicholas

If that makes me unintelligent in the eyes of some they need to take a hard look at themselves because intelligent people aren't so insecure they have to try and judge everyone around them
Yeah I feel compelled to listen to Kerry O'Keeffe, so I'm a MMM convert. Very entertaining.

It's not what it used to be, but nothing is.

ABC has been skinned financially, I rate Katich & Rogers cricket brains very highly, less so Nannes. Alison Mitchell is a good operator, but personally I can't have Gerard Whately, he shits me to tears. I am a friend and unabashed Skull fan, but not much on the rest of the outfit and find the Macquarie team pretty ordinary.

Put them all together and pick the eyes out of it and you'd have a good outfit, spread thinly across three stations - its pretty ordinary.

I'm a big fan of Macquarie Radio, with the exception of McGrath's full contributions. Good variety of contributors and Tim Lane's commentary reminds me how ABC's cricket coverage never really recovered from his leaving in early 00s.

I reckon the ABC coasted for much of the 2000s post-Lane, relying ever more heavily on O'Keeffe to cover up other problems and a general decline. I've heard good things about it in last couple of seasons but can't stand Whateley so unless Macquarie is unavailable, I'll avoid it.

I'm a big fan of Macquarie Radio, with the exception of McGrath's full contributions. Good variety of contributors and Tim Lane's commentary reminds me how ABC's cricket coverage never really recovered from his leaving in early 00s.

I reckon the ABC coasted for much of the 2000s post-Lane, relying ever more heavily on O'Keeffe to cover up other problems and a general decline. I've heard good things about it in last couple of seasons but can't stand Whateley so unless Macquarie is unavailable, I'll avoid it.
ABC got gutted financially, if you knew how little the guest commentators were paid for a full 5 test & one day summer commitment, Skull "retired" from the ABC for a few reasons but it was more economic for him to do one guest speaking gig a week and he'd still be in front instead of doing a test match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back