Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Merge if thread exists please.

Sydneysiders.
Talk about your city and its suburbs like it means something.

For those non New South Welshmen like me, talk about past and present experiences with it and future travels to NSW.

Talk about housing developments, roadworks and the usual hullabaloo.
Likewise the safest and scummiest areas.

Reminisce about old shops, restaurants etc. etc. etc.

I know Victoria's got its own Chinatown (Box Hill plus a Vietnamese predominance in Footscray) but, apart from Cabramatta, what's NSW's version of Chinatown?

GO!

Merge if thread exists please.

Sydneysiders.
Talk about your city and its suburbs like it means something.

For those non New South Welshmen like me, talk about past and present experiences with it and future travels to NSW.

Talk about housing developments, roadworks and the usual hullabaloo.
Likewise the safest and scummiest areas.

Reminisce about old shops, restaurants etc. etc. etc.

I know Victoria's got its own Chinatown (Box Hill plus a Vietnamese predominance in Footscray) but, apart from Cabramatta, what's NSW's version of Chinatown?

GO!

Um Chinatown. Near George Street. I'm not even from Sydney.

Best city in Australia if you have seven figures to spend on a house. If you don't, have fun with hot summers and brutal commutes somewhere west of Ryde.

I will say though, I reckon Melbourne traffic has got worse than Sydney's in the last few years. Which is saying a lot.

A ferry from neutral bay to circular key, then a ferry to manly, followed by a bus ride to palm beach all for a few bucks. Nothing quite like it. The only problem is the yank and pom rubbernecks (tourists)

Actually a nice place.

Visually, very pretty. The city is more grey and dull in winter and for that reason it can sort of feel more like a city you'd travel to than a city you'd live in, which is a poor way of describing it... but even in a way, it seems more touristy.

The whole of the harbour, those areas around it, the Rocks... you'd imagine them coming into that bay for the first time and thinking they'd stumbled into the best place in the world.

These days I think it can be full of flogs who reckon they're living in LA or something, but ultimately the people are akin to Melburnians I think. Their average food is worse than what you get down here too, so your average pub meal is more expensive and of much lesser quality. I remember one decent place near Glebe Point Road charging us $14 for a pizza and in the end all we ended up with was a ******* McCains. Appalling. Pre-lock out laws it was also a pretty average place: lines to go to clubs were insufferably long even at like 10pm, there was no centralisation so you didn't know where to go... Goodgod was a great club though but that's it... the pubs are nice in the inner west but I don't think it's the greatest place in the world to drink and party. The last time I went I stayed in Glebe and it was a great weekend away, though. Balmain, those surrounding areas are all great in good weather.

Got tickets to see Arsenal play there next year so I'll report back then...

The view of the Harbour Bridge as you come over the crest approaching from the north still takes my breath away no matter how many times i see it.

She's gorgeous but she's a bitch.
Good luck if you're a tourist driving here without GPS.
Good luck buying here unless you're " well off "
Be prepared to act like a barbarian behind the wheel just to survive.

Last edited:
I actually find Sydney drivers much better than Melbourne drivers, who seem to have never heard of the zipper rule for merging.
Oh * don't start me on the Zipper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lived in Sydney for two years, would go back again at some stage.

Grew up in the Blue Mountains just outside of Sydney. Has always been a pipe dream to move back there one day. Lived in Meadowbank near West Ryde for a couple of years. Could take a ferry from just outside my house to Circular Quay. Was a North Sydney fan and used to go to North Sydney Oval most weekends to watch the mighty Bears. * the NRL.

Loved Luna Park growing up, especially a ride called the Rotor. A circular room which spun and the floor dropped leaving you stuck to the wall. Used to spend hours on that.

Saw many great acts at the Sydney Entertainment Centre including Culture Club, Eurythmics, Eurogliders and Duran Duran. Also attended a couple of wrestling events there and saw Andre the Giant, Junkyard Dog, the Iron Sheik, the Killer Bees and others.

Moved to Queensland when I was 19. Have been back to Sydney a few times for footy and Mardi Gras but it doesn't hold any great appeal to me apart from a sentimental desire to move back to the Blue Mountains.

Even with one. I drove through the middle of the CBD by mistake two days in a row. One of them being Monday morning peak-hour with a camper trailer in tow.

tumblr_mswusbhv1V1rik5jvo1_500.gif

Got billeted out in Sydney on a U14's WA rugby tour, first stop Parramatta/Seven Hills, massive eye opener.

Then we stayed in traditional rich campaigner rugby union territory like Manly, Narrabeen and Warringah.

We stayed in some nice places but there was some bloody weird units getting about there.

People that didn't know Perth existed or where it was on the map, maybe that's normal for Sydneysiders.

Got to admit that Sydney harbour is one of the best harbours in the world, if not the best, a ferry ride on a nice sunny day is a sight to behold.

Just a pity you'd need to be a multi millionaire to live anywhere near it.

Got to admit that Sydney harbour is one of the best harbours in the world, if not the best, a ferry ride on a nice sunny day is a sight to behold.

Just a pity you'd need to be a multi millionaire to live anywhere near it.

If you can't live near the harbour, you are living in Sydney. If not, why bother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back