Prediction 2017 Captaincy (and fallout) - Breaking News : feZZa93

Who will be captain?

• Mundy

Votes: 36 22.9%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 109 69.4%
  • Spurr (hey, a buddy's gotta do what a buddy's gotta do)

Votes: 12 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its like waiting for your wife to give birth - you know it'll be any day now, but never quite sure when. And you know it'll be one of two genders - male or female. Secretly hoping for one more than the other, but saying you'll be happy with either.

So last year the captaincy announcement was Friday 15th Jan. Today is Friday 13th Jan (unlucky for some) - it's just gotta be imminent. Maybe some time next week, to let the women's captaincy announcement soak in.

We know it'll be one of two candidates - Mundy or Fyfe. Who would you prefer? And what of the other?

Speculation is rife about Fyfe leaving if not voted captain, but what for Mundy? If Mundy is not re-elected, would it be remiss of him not to look at Free Agency?

And who else makes the leadership group? Walters? Hill? Neale?

Last edited by a moderator:

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its like waiting for your wife to give birth - you know it'll be any day now, but never quite sure when. And you know it'll be one of two genders - male or female. Secretly hoping for one more than the other, but saying you'll be happy with either.

So last year the captaincy announcement was Friday 15th Jan. Today is Friday 13th Jan (unlucky for some) - it's just gotta be imminent. Maybe some time next week, to let the women's captaincy announcement soak in.

We know it'll be one of two candidates - Mundy or Fyfe. Who would you prefer? And what of the other?

Speculation is rife about Fyfe leaving if not voted captain, but what for Mundy? If Mundy is not re-elected, would it be remiss of him not to look at Free Agency?

And who else makes the leadership group? Walters? Hill? Neale?
Think you're reading way too much into things, especially the bit about Mundy and Free Agency. Walters has to be in the leadership group, should of been elected in last year.

FD2646

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2008
Everywhere, anywhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
After last year it is time for a changing of the guard and I would have Fyfe as captain with Walters as vice capt and Neale also in the leadership team. As a bolter i would also consider adding Alex Pearce to the leadership team as he has been an underage leader and is the future of our backline. This leadership team ensures representation from midfield, fwd and backline. I love manic and am pleased he was anointed captain as a reward for his years of dedication and service, but would now let him concentrate on his footy as he only has a small window remaining.

Deveraux

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
This time last year I was all for Mundy. Honestly I just want Fyfe to get in now, we already know how driven he is. He could push that out to the playing group.

I feel there is a tiny bit (I said TINY) about a few players getting their back up about Fyfe's character, but I'd imagine there is a great deal of respect too. These are the elements of a great captain, someone who is not going to be your mate or who is always on your side but rather who's going to say what needs to be said even if it's against the grain. To get people to challenge themselves as much as he does himself.

Please make it happen!

In saying that, if it does happen, geez i would feel for Mundy especially if we make a hike up the ladder again. He will probably forever feel that he was 'that captain' the one year the backside fell out of Freo, even though it wasn't his fault or that people don't think that of him.

As for the leadship group I would be gobsmacked if Sonny doesn't make the cut. Maybe Mundy, Sandi, Spurr, Walters and Neale for me.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I am not a fan of captain for a year. It turns the position into a bit of a popularity contest. But the Fyfe makes this all a bit complicated. Dream world scenario for me is contract extension announcement Monday, Captaincy announcement Friday. Something like that.

I am also not a big fan of co-captaincy, but in this current scenario I don't mind having a Mundy/Fyfe double act.

Geez I have turned into an indecisive, fence-sitting procrastinator.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
We have several outstanding candidates.
Don't have an opinion or preference other than who the players select.
Don't see any causal relationship between Fyfe's signing and the captaincy.
'Fallout' in the Thread Title is melodramatic.

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I could be wrong but I think Mundy may even decide himself to step away. I was in favour of Mundy last year but he had his worst year by far and being the sort of quite bloke he is may want to step back and just focus on his footy. Co-captain could work I but also think RTB has said before he doesn't like that.

Chris Bond was (co)captain for only one year... Probably others

The key thing I really want is Walters needs to be in the leadership group. Should have been there last year and with MJ screwing up it's screaming out for Sonny to replace him. TBH he would probably make the best all round captain in terms of leading by example but maybe his work in front of camera or interviews is not going to be as slick as the others.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Dale Miller in that article writes:

"Under Fremantle’s annual polling system, each player gives his top five choices and must explain his decision in front of the entire squad."

[QUOTEhttps://thewest.com.au/news/wa/stick-with-mundy-ng-b88354017z[/QUOTE]

This system of voting confirms what a pile of crap the Hardie/Hagdorn generated rumour was about there being an underhand attempt by club officials at rigging the result towards Fyfe by misallocating votes.

Dec 30, 2007
Great Southern Land
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Bears
Last year I was on the Micky Barlow wagon in the role for a couple of years before handing over to Fyfe.

I really respect Mundy but was very surprised when he got the gig.

Rightly or wrongly I think when they vote this year, many will relate the debacle of last year with Mundy's captaincy. I'll be very surprised if this doesn't result in Fyfe getting the gig, especially with the change out of so many vetran's who would've carried a lot of influence.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
MJ captain with Harley Bennell as VC. Mandatory Saturday night running sessions comprising running away from the police without getting caught, followed by kebabs as a recovery meal and warm down at Metro's. Pants around ankles mandatory:thumbsu:

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
You think Fyfe has it in the bag this year? Or would you be surprised at a fully fit team haha
If the club chose its captain, Fyfe a dead certainty, but because the players have to explain their vote in front of the playing group, hard to say. Not too bothered either way because they'll both go about their footy in the same manner, I think Fyfe wants to be 'captain' to add a few inches when he looks in the mirror

Back