Unsolved Easey St Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon that was the most chilling Homicide of the lot . Must have been late 70s or around that time-i was living in Melbourne -never forget it -basically just gripped Melbourne in fear

Even the name of the street gives you the creeps -i mean if it was Smith St or Johnson St Collingwood -you wouldnt remember it so much

You would think with the advancement in DNA -it would be a certainty they would catch him -because it was an absolute frenzied attack -there would be DNA evidence everywhere-but they havent -and its over 30 years ago .
The whole case seemed bizarre -several people entered the house after the atrocity -theres 2 dead bodies in there and a baby in a cot -yet just thought no one was home -i mean that is bizarre in itself

To me the culprit has to fit into one of 2 groups . If it was a random attack from a stranger -then that type of person to me would re-offend in some sort of manner -even a minor assault -so he would end up in the system -his DNA would be on record and they could make a match -that hasnt happened -so it must be someone they knew . I can remember they had a heap of suspects -including a top line high profile sportsman -i forget who that was .

You just think -are the Coppers ever going to solve this -i just hope the perpetrator isnt someone who was right under their noses all the time .

I reckon that was the most chilling Homicide of the lot . Must have been late 70s or around that time-i was living in Melbourne -never forget it -basically just gripped Melbourne in fear

Even the name of the street gives you the creeps -i mean if it was Smith St or Johnson St Collingwood -you wouldnt remember it so much

You would think with the advancement in DNA -it would be a certainty they would catch him -because it was an absolute frenzied attack -there would be DNA evidence everywhere-but they havent -and its over 30 years ago .
The whole case seemed bizarre -several people entered the house after the atrocity -theres 2 dead bodies in there and a baby in a cot -yet just thought no one was home -i mean that is bizarre in itself

To me the culprit has to fit into one of 2 groups . If it was a random attack from a stranger -then that type of person to me would re-offend in some sort of manner -even a minor assault -so he would end up in the system -his DNA would be on record and they could make a match -that hasnt happened -so it must be someone they knew . I can remember they had a heap of suspects -including a top line high profile sportsman -i forget who that was .

You just think -are the Coppers ever going to solve this -i just hope the perpetrator isnt someone who was right under their noses all the time .

The main 9 suspects have been DNA tested, 8 of them twice I think and turned up negative.

Now as to re offending this murder of a mother living alone occurred about a km away a few years later later with multiple stabbings. It was of Jenny Ng, a mother living alone

http://www.richmondunsolvedmurder.c...le-the-sun-mother-of-four-slain-24-april-1982.

It also remains unsolved. Now there are some different circumstances of this woman lifestyle but similarity's as well,

given the location and method a link between these 2 cannot be ruled out. This website also mentions a murder of a 26 year old woman in the area in 1981 Haroula Kipouridou, one I was unaware of but can find no details as to the method or the possible apprehension of the murderer or not, but appears to have happened indoors.

The DNA collection of the offenders from this era will only be for serious crims of those convicted of murder or rapes. A collection of drug dealers and violent assaults DNA from before the 90s, was meant to be collected but a number were never followed up for lack of time and resources. To look at other offences is still the way to go.

Goggin, been speaking to some media old researchers and the problem with the DNA was the era the forensic evidence in was not focused on DNA. While a lot of cases can be solved by it after the event a lot of cases still have issues with degraded DNA and contaminated evidence because it was not stored. The era of the offence the forensics were particularly intent of physical evidence like Finger prints, shoe matches, blood type (for investigative purposes) etc.

As for the word in the old crime media circles to reoffending and been in the system. Don't look forward look back a couple of years earlier for another big offence, The missing American girl from North Melbourne and The Easy street Murders were often linked by the Police and journo's alike and look back further for his time in the system.

The story of DNA matching I mentioned earlier of 9 the first time and 8 the 2nd, is because one of the original nine died between tests... and he was among the main group, if not the police's main candidate for the offence.

Goggin, been speaking to some media old researchers and the problem with the DNA was the era the forensic evidence in was not focused on DNA. While a lot of cases can be solved by it after the event a lot of cases still have issues with degraded DNA and contaminated evidence because it was not stored. The era of the offence the forensics were particularly intent of physical evidence like Finger prints, shoe matches, blood type (for investigative purposes) etc.

As for the word in the old crime media circles to reoffending and been in the system. Don't look forward look back a couple of years earlier for another big offence, The missing American girl from North Melbourne and The Easy street Murders were often linked by the Police and journo's alike and look back further for his time in the system.

The story of DNA matching I mentioned earlier of 9 the first time and 8 the 2nd, is because one of the original nine died between tests... and he was among the main group, if not the police's main candidate for the offence.

The amazing thing is -and im not suggesting anything here -is that American girl who went missing (and presumed murdered) from her home in North Melbourne -the last person to see her alive was a Truth newspaper journalist, and he just happened to live in the Flat next door to the 2 women in Easey st . Like i say, im not suggesting anything -but that is an amazing coincidence.

had to spend 8 days back in melbourne recently & decided to have a look at this house,i was hoping for a nice long walk along the street watching the house numbers as i went,but it was all over in a flash,i entered from hoddle street end & there it was,actually the only number i could see was 139,so i had to guess whether it was the 1st or 2nd house from that end of the street,for what its worth it surely has to be someone who knew at least 1 of the women & surely it was someone who had been or at least felt they had been slighted by 1 or both of them,ive read somewhere that the mother of the woman without the child had begged her daughter to move back home or away from the woman with the kid,because she didnt like something about the way she conducted herself,would love to hear more about that

very spooky indeed. Have heard that the sportsman involved was in Motorsport does that match up to you?

very spooky indeed. Have heard that the sportsman involved was in Motorsport does that match up to you?
i researched a bit more after my last post,the truth journalist name was john grant,he was among the last to see the woman murdered in north melbourne that is thought to be connected to this crime,he was in the company of a notorious underworld figure named john joseph power & a former boxer named rhys"tommy"collins,also a crime figure,but less so than Power,their stories conflict,but the gist of it is that they were having a drink with her when she left for some reason,she never returned so all 3 left after waiting a while,a bloody towell among other things were found in her apartment,amazingly john grant was also sleeping in a house close by,i think even next door to the easey street house the night these 2 were killed,so if they are connected that means only 1 man is a suspect in that connection,it would be very interesting to know the wearabouts of Power & Collins on the night of the easey street murders(quite possibly in jail but maybe not),both these 2 are deceased but Grant is still alive,the north melbourne woman has to have been killed by these 3 or at least 1 of them,if the connection to the easey street murders is more than the 1 guy simply sleeping next door,then surely we have the name/s of the killer/s,but the north melbourne womans body was never found,so it would seem to be very different & the fact that a prime suspect in 1 murder happened to be sleeping in a house nearby another murder just isnt enough,there would have to be a lot more to connect the 2 crimes

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...rs-after-she-disappeared-20150701-gi2c5i.html

Back in the news today as police offer $1,000,000 reward.
1 mill and floating an indemnity from prosecution- And As a bonus you get to unburden your conscience. A dream offer, hope it's enough.

What I don't get is how the boyfriend could go in the house, leave a note but not find the bodies. Implausible...someone familiar with the case can explain?

1 mill and floating an indemnity from prosecution- And As a bonus you get to unburden your conscience. A dream offer, hope it's enough.

What I don't get is how the boyfriend could go in the house, leave a note but not find the bodies. Implausible...someone familiar with the case can explain?
Any chance the DNA is connected to something else? I.e immunity from this crime only

A friend of mine used to live in this house. I too find it odd that people could enter the house at the back and not notice too bodies and blood etc...

However I have been to the house. When you enter the front door you immediately enter the hallway. To the right is one of the bedrooms, a little further up the hall is the other bedroom to the right. The hallway opens up into a small lounge and kitchen area to the right. The back door is right at the kitchen. It could certainly be the case that you'd enter the kitchen and not see down the hallway. You'd have to walk into the lounge area at least to partially see down the hall - depending where the couches and furniture is.

As for ghost stories my friend had no spooky experiences in the house.

I'd like to know what Ye source of DNA was from. Was it semen found on Ms Armstrong or was it from blood? Why rape one and not the other? I think this crime has more to do with Ms Armstrong than Ms Bartlett and I think it was quite personal. I think Ms Bartlett purely got in the way or wasn't expected to be home at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I wasn't born when this happened the case has always fascinated me, especially the suspected high profile sportmen, anyone have any idea who this may have been?

A friend of mine used to live in this house. I too find it odd that people could enter the house at the back and not notice too bodies and blood etc...

However I have been to the house. When you enter the front door you immediately enter the hallway. To the right is one of the bedrooms, a little further up the hall is the other bedroom to the right. The hallway opens up into a small lounge and kitchen area to the right. The back door is right at the kitchen. It could certainly be the case that you'd enter the kitchen and not see down the hallway. You'd have to walk into the lounge area at least to partially see down the hall - depending where the couches and furniture is.

I'd like to know what Ye source of DNA was from. Was it semen found on Ms Armstrong or was it from blood? Why rape one and not the other? I think this crime has more to do with Ms Armstrong than Ms Bartlett and I think it was quite personal. I think Ms Bartlett purely got in the way or wasn't expected to be home at the time.

Strong first post

but young Gregory wasn't whimpering at that time? Did the boyfriend call out, at least look down the hall?
Anyway, I'm sure the boyfriend was long ruled out on DNA grounds, just seems weird.

The article in the Age today headlined 'police closing in on Easey St killer'. That's an escalation from only yesterday, but seems more like click bait, nothing in the article except police hoping that the offender has been through the system at some other time. Wonder if they are working the familial DNA angle, CSK style?

If DNA had been rightfully preserved??? Did your crystal ball tell you tonight's winning lotto numbers? It just wasn't known back then along with many other things. Please be fair...

you know what i would love to see re this case,an fbi type profile of the killer,i worked with a guy from about 1987-1993 who i think about every time i see this case in the news,he would have been 24 in 1977,he was a real loner,red faced podgy & a bit touched,but he was for the most part able to work in a large company with a lot of people & he knew his way around a racetrack & horses & followed the footy,i think he was a disgruntled pies fan but would never admit it,instead he followed the vfa & mostly just took to bagging certain afl clubs,but anything that was a little complicated used to make him go into a panic,example being when eft became the norm and paid in cash was being phased out,he also was not smart enough to do something like get a license,he always took public transport

the other thing about this guy was that he had an unbelievably explosive temper,he would be fine 1 minute and laughing along,but the slightest thought that he was being ridiculed and he would go off tap,he didnt spare men or women either,it was equal oppurtunity to him,in the case of men he would get into an argument about forms of betting or the football or something,then come back later & just blast the guy,then not speak to him for months,but with women it was deeply personal,i never knew him to ever ask a girl out,but he was attracted to girls,difference between he and say me was that if i was turned down,id just shrug and move onto the next,but although i never knew him to ask,im sure he sent feelers out towards women and when it didnt go his way,he could just erupt,but was smart enough to act like it was over a work issue or that they had insulted him,of course we worked in a big factory & aside from a barrage of abuse the girl was quite safe

i would lay odds that this killer was something like this guy,a loner that became friends with 1 or both these girls,they tolerated him,being country girls they even enjoyed his company on occasion & were more friendly to him than most girls,he developed a crush on 1 of them,maybe he only knew the 1 of them,she shot him down,probably with respect,but he isnt quite smart enough to differenciate,she may have even giggled when knocking him back,this would be the trigger,with no workplace full of people around & no loss of job on the cards,a guy like this could be capable of anything

id love to see a profile,theyve been through all the people close to these girls,try someone barely known by the people that knew them,some name 1 of the girls may have mentioned in passing,some nice simple guy who made her laugh & she would have a coffee with,but never would dream of dating,id bet if they did a profile it would read something like the guy i described,since they were only in town 4 months check for a similar guy they may have known in benalla

Whilst I wasn't born when this happened the case has always fascinated me, especially the suspected high profile sportmen, anyone have any idea who this may have been?

Have heard that the sportsman involved was in Motorsport does that match up to you?

It was Peter Brock.

A high profile criminal lawyer name suppressed, had also been in there.

Once had a interesting conversation or lack of with some one about this case , the rebuf or lack there of was unique . Different to other experiences with people I've had and the conversation changer was odd to say the least .

Once had a interesting conversation or lack of with some one about this case , the rebuf or lack there of was unique . Different to other experiences with people I've had and the conversation changer was odd to say the least .

Lot of rumours around this. Eight suspects and none match the DNA, they're thinking the DNA they have might be irrelevant to the crime now. I think the sample came from the carpet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back