Radio coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

ABC got gutted financially, if you knew how little the guest commentators were paid for a full 5 test & one day summer commitment, Skull "retired" from the ABC for a few reasons but it was more economic for him to do one guest speaking gig a week and he'd still be in front instead of doing a test match.

Yeah, even when he 'retired' at the time I thought there was more to it and that he would be back in some capacity in the cricket media.

ABC got gutted financially, if you knew how little the guest commentators were paid for a full 5 test & one day summer commitment, Skull "retired" from the ABC for a few reasons but it was more economic for him to do one guest speaking gig a week and he'd still be in front instead of doing a test match.
if money was about skull would still be at the abc

if money was about skull would still be at the abc

Well I am glad he moved on. Found him amusing at first but was well and truly over his shtick by the time he left. Probably one for the unpopular cricket opinions thread though as I know most people liked him.

Well I am glad he moved on. Found him amusing at first but was well and truly over his shtick by the time he left. Probably one for the unpopular cricket opinions thread though as I know most people liked him.

Not me! Glad he's on MMM because that means I'll never hear him.

Not me! Glad he's on MMM because that means I'll never hear him.

I also thought it was a bit disingenuous of him to 'retire' as obviously he was just leaving. Why didn't they just say that? Nothing wrong with leaving somewhere if they are not paying you enough and going elsewhere. Also because he was 'retiring' there was quite a lot of fuss made, very self indulgent I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said it before, but O'Keefe was one of the most knowledgeable and well researched broadcasters out there. Was just overlooked because of his more light hearted approach.

Totally agree. I very much enjoyed his commentary when he focussed on the cricket, it was just his funny stuff I didn't like and that seemed to take precedence.

I also thought it was a bit disingenuous of him to 'retire' as obviously he was just leaving. Why didn't they just say that? Nothing wrong with leaving somewhere if they are not paying you enough and going elsewhere. Also because he was 'retiring' there was quite a lot of fuss made, very self indulgent I thought.

I thought he was legit retiring, then he decided to do a failed podcast (or something) and speaking engagements. Then he was coaxed to return to radio.

I thought he was legit retiring, then he decided to do a failed podcast (or something) and speaking engagements. Then he was coaxed to return to radio.

The whole thing just seemed false to me, I had feeling he would be doing commentary again sooner rather than later. Just my impression at the time.

Surprised at the praise for Rogers on ABC, I reckon he's woeful, never knows when to shut his mouth.
Can't say I'm a massive fan but I did laugh at the story of in England how he got Watson to review a plumb lbw, while kp & Freddie were pissing themselves

Isha Guha is refreshing. Triple M has got a reasonable cricket/entertainment thing going. Channel 9 is about as enjoyable to listen to as polictics.

I'm enjoying Triple M again. I'll try to remember who they've got.
At least for this Test (I think it changes, depending on the city) it's:

James Brayshaw, Gus Worland, Isha Guha, Kerry O'Keeffe, Adam Gilchrist, Phil Tufnell, Mark Waugh, Mark Howard, Mick Molloy, and Botham pops in once or twice a day

Last edited:
Triple M is painful. First of all, it’s bad enough having to listen to adds but all the other shitty plugs they throw in are annoying AF.

Then there is the fact they are just trying to damn hard to be funny. It’s a long day, throw in a few stories every now and then, have a comedian at the lunch break if you want to change it up, but that enough.

Having Mick Malloy in the commentary box made me want to stab my ear holes with a fork.

Haven’t listened to 3AW since last year so I can’t comment, but ABC seems to be leading the pack as always. Although Maxwell sounds like it may be time for him to give it up, the special comments guys are great to listen to.

I'm enjoying Triple M again. I'll try to remember who they've got. At least for this Test (I think it changes, depending on the city):
James Brayshaw, Gus Worland, Isha Guha, Kerry O'Keeffe, Phil Tufnell, Mark Waugh, Mark Howard, Mick Molloy, and Botham pops in once or twice a day
Just WTF?
That is taking piss out of their listeners to expect to cop that as a cricket commentator when you wanting to follow what going on during the cricket match.

I've only been watching on tv and heard abc coverage for 15 minutes yesterday with Gerard Whately doing a good job whilst I was doing some things around the house and not able to watch.

What has struck me in last 24 hours in KP on tv commentating almost a wannabe Tony Greig role. A tall South African that played for England trying to go toe for toe with stirring banter on tv. He is trying too hard at it. Apart from that he is ok when mainly commenting on cricket in general. But it amused me when it crossed my mind he might have pegged himself making his post playing career to get a long tv career like Tony Greig did in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back