Universal Love Eddie Betts extends contract until 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see where you are coming from.

A 3 year extension when he still has one to go is very generous, perhaps 2 would have been reasonable.

Having said that I think if your going to give anyone this type of contract it would be Eddie. Touch wood he remains injury free, he doesn't play a position that requires him to run and run, he's unlikely to lose his speed and his skills.

I wonder what coin he would be on, have we front loaded to ensure that last year costs us stuff all or have we back loaded so we have more cap space now?

Yeah look if anyone on our list can make this not a horrible idea it's Betts.

I just see it as decently high risk for no reward because I think he had 0 chance of leaving.

Yes Betts deserves loyalty from us, but we deserve loyalty back from him. We paid him SIGNIFICANTLY over what the market thought he was worth when he was a free agent. Yes it's paid off for us but still, we were the ones having faith in him.

Let's face it on what Betts has delivered for us. He has been massively underpaid. I have no problem with the Crows doing this they should add the caveat that he got this contract because of his injury free football for multiple years as a pertinent variable coupled with his outstanding output. Also the modern game has changed. 30 used to be a player that was washed up only 5-10 years ago.

Ask Blues supporters how much pain they endure when there is Eddie everywhere.

The player they threw away like garbage because of their love for Daisy. Fools.

Yeah look if anyone on our list can make this not a horrible idea it's Betts.

I just see it as decently high risk for no reward because I think he had 0 chance of leaving.

Yes Betts deserves loyalty from us, but we deserve loyalty back from him. We paid him SIGNIFICANTLY over what the market thought he was worth when he was a free agent. Yes it's paid off for us but still, we were the ones having faith in him.
Huh?
North put a similar offer to him so that SIGNIFICANTLY bit is just plain wrong.

Crows had a firm no multi year contracts for players over 30 policy.

It was good enough for most of the greats that have ever played for our club, why isn't it good enough for Eddie?

We're also going on 20 years without a premiership. Not suggesting signing old blokes to long deals is the answer, but blanket policies only have value if you're yielding results.
The club has needed to change mindset for a while and hopefully this is a little more evidence that it's been happening over the past few years. Like it and love Eddie!

Yep I agree and I do respect him.

Got 0 to do with contract length

Actually it has everything to do with contract length - it formed part of a highly respectful negotiation by the sound of it.. And it has everything to do with his overall value - say worst comes to worst and - heaven forbid - he ends up on the long-term injured list, his value to our indigenous kids, the fan base and around the club is still huge. I so hope there's a role for him at the Crows after he retires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And would any of those have stopped if we just offered him a 1 year extension?
1 year is disrespectful!

If Eddie had a poor last year, he would still be good value mentoring players in the sanfl.

However IMO, it won't come to that, I reckon this won't be his last contract.

Pretty hard to maintain such a silly policy in the free agent era

Unless the other 17 clubs collude with us, that would just mean losing all our free agents and gaining none
The thing is we know Eddie is quality, he's the type of player you take a punt on. It also means if youre offering your better players long term deals you also need to take a more conservative approach with average players like Mackay, VB and Reilly which historically hasn't been the case. Otherwise your going to have a lot of your list tied up and every year we know we need to make changes.

1 year is disrespectful!

If Eddie had a poor last year, he would still be good value mentoring players in the sanfl.

However IMO, it won't come to that, I reckon this won't be his last contract.

Eddie deserves the contract he got, he has proven himself, so no issue with offering it

But as for mentoring, this whole mentoring thing is rubbish if you want Eddie, Thommo , whoever mentoring SANFL players don't keep them on the list to mentor players if they can't offer anything to the AFL list cut them and hire them as assistant coaches or as that Experienced SANFL player, they then don't take a spot on the list that could be used for development player who may become an AFL player

Or worst case a mature age rookie

Eddie deserves a multi-year contract, but four years? It could be a stroke of genius, or it could come back to bite us big time. Only time will tell.

I probably would have given him a 2-year contract, with options for 3rd & 4th years, depending on performance (i.e. games played). That way we wouldn't have to pay him out if he retires in year 3.

Eddie deserves a multi-year contract, but four years? It could be a stroke of genius, or it could come back to bite us big time. Only time will tell.

I probably would have given him a 2-year contract, with options for 3rd & 4th years, depending on performance (i.e. games played). That way we wouldn't have to pay him out if he retires in year 3.

The contract is only 3 years because he is already contracted for 2017

The contract is only 3 years because he is already contracted for 2017
It still guarantees him a place on our team list for 4 years. Two years makes sense - he clearly deserves more than one. Three years is reasonable. Four years is getting into risky territory, given how quickly the end can come for players aged 30+.

It still guarantees him a place on our team list for 4 years. Two years makes sense - he clearly deserves more than one. Three years is reasonable. Four years is getting into risky territory, given how quickly the end can come for players aged 30+.
Scott Thompson struggled in 2016 at age 33. That was the 1st time I think I have seen him struggle, and he plays in the midfield and is a crash-bang player. So from 30-32 he was ok. Eddie doesn't play in the midfield as much as Thommo so I can see the risk-reward being higher.

I was one of those who questioned the original contract, not on money terms , but on length. He proved me wrong in that aspect because his ability to make it to the team sheet each week is outstanding. This time I am not going to argue the length because I have seen enough evidence to suggest it is a good deal.

Even at 40 goals per year it is good value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back