Universal Love Eddie Betts extends contract until 2020

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
So how many fathers sons is there available?

In terms of his age, he plays a position that can cope with being a bit older.

Unless he slows right down and loses his reflexes there is no concern, he wont lose his skill and even if that happens it might be one year that we suffer a little bit.
Form is temporary, class is permanent. Eddie is that good, should he slow down considerably he'll still be a very handy player. I wouldn't get my hopes up about him playing beyond 2020 though - reckon he will hang up the boots at the end of this contract. Hopefully he'll be wearing a premiership medallion by then.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Scott Thompson struggled in 2016 at age 33. That was the 1st time I think I have seen him struggle, and he plays in the midfield and is a crash-bang player. So from 30-32 he was ok. Eddie doesn't play in the midfield as much as Thommo so I can see the risk-reward being higher.

I was one of those who questioned the original contract, not on money terms , but on length. He proved me wrong in that aspect because his ability to make it to the team sheet each week is outstanding. This time I am not going to argue the length because I have seen enough evidence to suggest it is a good deal.

Even at 40 goals per year it is good value.
Dustin Fletcher & Brent Harvey played on into their late 30s... every player is different. There is a trend towards players playing on a bit longer, due to better training programs and medical treatments, but there's no guarantee that Betts will be one of these players (and no guarantees that he won't).

Four years is a long time, particularly for a player who is already in his 30s. It's a fairly low risk option for a younger player, like Talia, but for a player of Betts' age it's risky.

The club has decided to roll the dice. The risk may pay off, or it may backfire. Only time will tell.

Scott Thompson struggled in 2016 at age 33. That was the 1st time I think I have seen him struggle, and he plays in the midfield and is a crash-bang player. So from 30-32 he was ok. Eddie doesn't play in the midfield as much as Thommo so I can see the risk-reward being higher.

I was one of those who questioned the original contract, not on money terms , but on length. He proved me wrong in that aspect because his ability to make it to the team sheet each week is outstanding. This time I am not going to argue the length because I have seen enough evidence to suggest it is a good deal.

Even at 40 goals per year it is good value.
+1

In his final year I can guarantee he will still take the heat off the next up and coming small forwards in the forward line and demand a quality small defender on him. It should allow CC and Jarman (if he makes it) the freedom to deliver.

CC is not ready yet to command the best small defender of the opposition and tear him apart.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
+1

In his final year I can guarantee he will still take the heat off the next up and coming small forwards in the forward line and demand a quality small defender on him. It should allow CC and Jarman (if he makes it) the freedom to deliver.

CC is not ready yet to command the best small defender of the opposition and tear him apart.
He could roll out in a wheelchair and Rance would still go to him ;)

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Crows had a firm no multi year contracts for players over 30 policy.

It was good enough for most of the greats that have ever played for our club, why isn't it good enough for Eddie?

Why would Eddie complain? Your question should have been, why isn't it good enough for our Contract people now?

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
I really hope he kicks 50 goals plus this year... last thing we need is the haters and flogs at port talking smack if Eddie has an off year

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Crows had a firm no multi year contracts for players over 30 policy.

It was good enough for most of the greats that have ever played for our club, why isn't it good enough for Eddie?

Because we are in the time of free agency and if clubs like Collingwood are willing to give a player like Wells 3 years at 550k when he is 32, then I can guarantee that someone would be willing to offer Eddie a contract like we have just given him. Times have changed and if older players that are still performing want some security we are going to have to give it to them otherwise someone else will. Simple!

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just on the length and in regards to Daniel Wells. There well may be a clause that his payments reduce if he cant fulfill his contract , either through breaking down or lost desire.

I would think any long term contract has KPIs and clauses

These performanced based contracts intrigue me, if you are at your salary cap limit you would have to allow for each and every player blitzing and meeting all of these KPI's or you will go over your cap. Which means at the end of the year if a lot have craop years you are miles under your cap which could have allowd you to pick up a better quality player.

I am not saying thats not how they set it up, but you wouldnt want to many on that type of contract to allow for peak performance

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Just on the length and in regards to Daniel Wells. There well may be a clause that his payments reduce if he cant fulfill his contract , either through breaking down or lost desire.

I would think any long term contract has KPIs and clauses

Know doubt he probably does, highly likely Eddie has some triggers in his contract as well.

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
These performanced based contracts intrigue me, if you are at your salary cap limit you would have to allow for each and every player blitzing and meeting all of these KPI's or you will go over your cap. Which means at the end of the year if a lot have craop years you are miles under your cap which could have allowd you to pick up a better quality player.

I am not saying thats not how they set it up, but you wouldnt want to many on that type of contract to allow for peak performance

I think they would mainly only be in place for older and injury prone players.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

Its part of the gamble. I think KPI contracts are more the long term ones ie games played targets matched etc. They are worked out by both the player manager and list manager. As an example when Eddie came to us and got his 4 year contract I argued it should have been a 3. At best a 3+1 if he meets certain KPI. Well he blew the games played apart and my fantasy figure of at least 37 goals per season or 110 over the 3 to get the 1.

This kind of contract wont affect salary cap % as the benefit is an extra year which will fall into that years cap.

JJ should be the same. Not an unachievable target but one that keeps him slightly hungry. I would want to see a games played component with JJ plus a certain goal level. For example with JJ I think the 37+ a season is achievable for someone of his size.

But that's me.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

Not necessarily. They're often defined in terms of games played. No matter how well the team is performing, there is still a maximum of 26 games and 22 positions per season.

Ricky Henderson is one example, having failed to reach the trigger point for the last year of his contract. He's now Hawthorn's problem.

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Its part of the gamble. I think KPI contracts are more the long term ones ie games played targets matched etc. They are worked out by both the player manager and list manager. As an example when Eddie came to us and got his 4 year contract I argued it should have been a 3. At best a 3+1 if he meets certain KPI. Well he blew the games played apart and my fantasy figure of at least 37 goals per season or 110 over the 3 to get the 1.

This kind of contract wont affect salary cap % as the benefit is an extra year which will fall into that years cap.

JJ should be the same. Not an unachievable target but one that keeps him slightly hungry. I would want to see a games played component with JJ plus a certain goal level. For example with JJ I think the 37+ a season is achievable for someone of his size.

But that's me.

Totally agree they stop complacency. Or the Hamish Hartlett effect from happening.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because we are in the time of free agency and if clubs like Collingwood are willing to give a player like Wells 3 years at 550k when he is 32, then I can guarantee that someone would be willing to offer Eddie a contract like we have just given him. Times have changed and if older players that are still performing want some security we are going to have to give it to them otherwise someone else will. Simple!

Has eddie been with us long enough to qualify for free agency again?

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think they would mainly only be in place for older and injury prone players.

what if they dont get injuried or older players pull it out of their bum, like we are all hoping thommo does this year, do we believe he is on a performnce based deal? if he plays 3 games he gets bugger all if he plays ever game he cleans up?

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
what if they dont get injuried or older players pull it out of their bum, like we are all hoping thommo does this year, do we believe he is on a performnce based deal? if he plays 3 games he gets bugger all if he plays ever game he cleans up?
Base payment plus match payments would be my guess.

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs

I think it's more about playing enough games to trigger getting an extra year added to your contract than getting more money. Thommo is probably on $200-$250k and knows this is his last year regardless. A good example is Jimmy Bartel he played enough last year to trigger an extra year but ended up retiring because he was told he would be playing mainly in the VFL unless there were injury problems.

Pretty hard to maintain such a silly policy in the free agent era

Unless the other 17 clubs collude with us, that would just mean losing all our free agents and gaining none
I don't think it's a silly policy. The majority of 30+ players don't fare well, and the detioration is rapid. Just look at Thommo. Eddie and Harvey are the exception rather than the rule.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I don't think it's a silly policy. The majority of 30+ players don't fare well, and the detioration is rapid. Just look at Thommo. Eddie and Harvey are the exception rather than the rule.
I don't think it is a silly policy either but neither should we be hard and fast about it either. I do think the idea of managing over 30 contracts will slowly phase out due to FA.

Back