PS4 Nioh

Remove this Banner Ad

Jazzsam

Senior List
Jan 12, 2017
Stratty
AFL Club
Carlton
Masochist unite: Niohs' last free trial is up this weekend.

I haven't played it yet, downloading the trial tonight. From what i hear however, if your a Hidetaka Miyazaki (souls/borne) fan it may be worth a look.

Git Gud!

On LG-H850 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Is it actually like Demons Souls as people are saying or more Ninja Gaiden?
Theres a definite demon souls vibe, theres no open world and the game plays out as missions. Its similar in this sense, exept instead of the nexus there's a menu. The one level I played in this trial wasn't too long to the boss, which i didn't beat, the areas could be bigger in the full game im not sure. There were branching paths so it wasnt just one straight path which I a plus

I dont really remember too much about ninja gaiden.

Is it actually like Demons Souls as people are saying or more Ninja Gaiden?
The game feels like a souls game with strategy being key and not rushing in, movement feels like a souls game but the combo system feel lifted from Ninja Gaiden even if the importance of combos is far less.

My word. I gave up after a few tries.

Still looks like a decent enough game, took me a while to come to terms with the pace but once I got that down it wasnt as hard.

I tried 3 times and it was a s**t show, elite enemies were a bit challenging but Christ the boss is in another league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks boss. Will probably give it a go after I've finally finish the witcher expansions.
Thats still in my pile of shame. I loved the vanilla game, loved Heart of stone, felt pretty burnt out pretty soon into Blood and wine (while still enjoying it).

Actually, speaking of hearts of stone, I was a little underwhelmed in the beggining. I really disliked the main protagonist, but i will admit the more i played it, the more it all started to come together. Kudos to CDPR

commas

But on the game were talking about, having played the trial im a little skeptical of the mission system and the item drops turn me off too (especially in regards to the inventory), less is sometimes more. Im not a fan on games scaling the same weapon by level for minor upgrades. Its not in and of itself a huge problem, but without an "end game" it just becomes tedious. Kind of like a numbers game but without some clever synergy a la diablo which make it hard for me to enjoy (and i do enjoy min/maxing)

Regardless, im a masochist (big souls/borne fan) so ill pick it up eventually and more than likely enjoy it.

I'm dubious when they make claims like that as it's not clear if that involves meaty gameplay or padding it out with collectable hunting or whatever else. Still, looks good and I'm keen. Even if I only get 40 or 50 hours out, if it's well done then that's good enough for me. The next two months is bonkers for new games anyway so works out well for me anyway.

I'm dubious when they make claims like that as it's not clear if that involves meaty gameplay or padding it out with collectable hunting or whatever else. Still, looks good and I'm keen. Even if I only get 40 or 50 hours out, if it's well done then that's good enough for me. The next two months is bonkers for new games anyway so works out well for me anyway.
No I agree, "length" is the most useless criteria to judge a game. Journey happens to be very short but is one of the most memorable games I have ever played.

Just finished the opening mission in London. I assume it will crank the difficulty up very shortly as that was a stroll. That was a way better tutorial than the beta level though which was absolutely brutal though lol. After that level the whole deal about the monsters and stuff makes more sense now.

The game feels fantastic, camera and positioning feels a bit weird when trying to walk up stairs cautiously/with guard up but just a small nuance.

Last edited:
Just finished the opening mission in London. I assume it will crank the difficulty up very shortly as that was a stroll. That was a way better tutorial than the beta level though which was absolutely brutal though lol. After that level the whole deal about the monsters and stuff makes more sense now.

The game feels fantastic, camera and positioning feels a bit weird when trying to walk up stairs cautiously/with guard up but just a small nuance.
Yea i noticed that as well i turned down the sensitivity which helped a bit, only part of the game i've noticed the camera having a mild seizure.

Been running around the fishing village. So much fun, definitely feels like a Souls game with a hint of Ninja Gaiden so far. At first I wasn't sure about the loot piñata as opposed to the 'less is more' of Souls but it's not bad that it gives some incentive to grind mobs for gear. A few neat little touches like the blessings and a story to follow (not that Souls doesn't, but hopefully that makes sense) are neat.

When is the best times to switch stances? So far middle stance seems the set and forget. So far just dumping points into heart for health and sword AP but love two handing an axe so might put some in strength shortly. Best part about new games is all the trial and error :cool:

Been running around the fishing village. So much fun, definitely feels like a Souls game with a hint of Ninja Gaiden so far. At first I wasn't sure about the loot piñata as opposed to the 'less is more' of Souls but it's not bad that it gives some incentive to grind mobs for gear. A few neat little touches like the blessings and a story to follow (not that Souls doesn't, but hopefully that makes sense) are neat.

When is the best times to switch stances? So far middle stance seems the set and forget. So far just dumping points into heart for health and sword AP but love two handing an axe so might put some in strength shortly. Best part about new games is all the trial and error :cool:
I wish there was an option to turn on auto pick up, hate when you pick an item up and it falls to ground first.

When in a boost mode or using a item boosting power the top stance is best, when you're getting mobbed use the bottom, anything else just use middle. Bosses would also be better in the bottom and quick changing to top for dealing damage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back