best defence 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just read an article putting our defence at 15th place for this year, considering we were number one
in 2013, and highly regarded in 2015, is this a fair assessment, considering the bulldogs were ranked
second?

It's all conjecture until we see some real footy again and see how the new guys gel. At this stage it's Schrodinger's cat!

If we kick 20 goals, who cares if we concede 18 :thumbsu:

Conceding 13 goals but only kicking 10 is what I'm worried about
I am worried if freo kicking at goal 20 time and kick 18 behind.

Our 2016 defense coach.
c7ff9bab4acc2a731ddf1991fb97f0fb.jpg

It's all conjecture until we see some real footy again and see how the new guys gel. At this stage it's Schrodinger's cat![/QUOTE
I find that Hamling is being under valued by many, add the depth achieved, players developed at Peel, dont think the
back line is a weakness, then we have an astute coach renowned for defensive pressure.
You can even make a case for the guys likely to miss out on first picked

I just read an article putting our defence at 15th place for this year, considering we were number one
in 2013, and highly regarded in 2015, is this a fair assessment, considering the bulldogs were ranked
second?

I doubt we can become a top 4 defensive unit in 2017,too inexperienced IMO.

I'm very confident we can push hard to finish in the bottom half of the top 8 providing we have minimal injuries to our guns.

We'll beat Geelong,round 1.

Definitely a new generation coming through. Johnson is 32 years old and Dawson is 31 in February. Hamling is 23, Collins is 22 and Alex Pearce is only 21 years old. So yeah... McPharlin, Johnson and Dawson we our 3 main tall defenders from 2012-5.

Seems like Our 3 main Tall defenders from 2018 onwards looks like Hamling, Collins and Alex Pearce.

Sorry! Don't see Collins cutting the mustard. I think Logue and perhaps Cox will be ahead of him from next year on.

You would imagine Logue and Cox being more flexible but Collins may still have a role on the bigger/ logs forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rnd 1 likely back 6.

Spurr - Dawson - Hamling
Weller - Johnson - Crozier

This is a fairly experienced backline. Average of 95 games (This average drops about 20 games when Alex takes Dawsons spot).

Spurr/Dawson/Johnson have spent the last 5 seasons playing together. The majority of that time we've been one of the best defences in the league.

Hamling and Croz both going into their 6th preseason and Weller into his 3rd. While these boys are the unknown part of the equation it's not like they are fresh faces to AFL.

They are spending the preseason training as a unit. Something we didn't get last year as we had to introduce new players to the backline because of all our injuries.

But the biggest change will be our midfield being somewhat more competitive. Sandi+Fyfe means opposition teams can't setup aggressively at the bounce. Hopefully adding Brad Hill and Bennell improves our inside 50's and our rentention of the ball improves meaning less interceptions and rebounds against us.

We should (touch wood) improve all over the ground from last season and our backline will be the biggest beneficiary.

Rnd 1 likely back 6.

Spurr - Dawson - Hamling

This is a fairly experienced backline. Average of 95 games (This average drops about 20 games when Alex takes Dawsons spot).

Spurr/Dawson/Johnson have spent the last 5 seasons playing together. The majority of that time we've been one of the best defences in the league.

Hamling and Croz both going into their 6th preseason and Weller into his 3rd. While these boys are the unknown part of the equation it's not like they are fresh faces to AFL.

They are spending the preseason training as a unit. Something we didn't get last year as we had to introduce new players to the backline because of all our injuries.

But the biggest change will be our midfield being somewhat more competitive. Sandi+Fyfe means opposition teams can't setup aggressively at the bounce. Hopefully adding Brad Hill and Bennell improves our inside 50's and our rentention of the ball improves meaning less interceptions and rebounds against us.

We should (touch wood) improve all over the ground from last season and our backline will be the biggest beneficiary.

Agree with all you've said here. The midfield will have a big influence on the effectiveness of our backline.

I think Fremantle's defence has now got the most depth of any of our lines. From your round one back 6, I see some good honest players missing out. Ibbotson, Sutcliffe, Sheridan and Crozier are all experienced players on the fringe. Ibbotson has played excellent football a couple of years ago, and the other three should be taking a step up in their football about now.
Hamling hasn't played many games, but that final series probably counts as a whole year's worth of experience.

Tall Backs
- born in the 80s
Zac Dawson, Michael Johnson
- at least 50 games
- between 10 and 50 games
Joel Hamling, Alex Pearce, Sam Collins
- less than 10 games Brennan Cox, Matthew Uebergang

Small and Medium Backs
- born in the 80s Lee Spurr, Garrick Ibbotson
- at least 50 games Cam Sutcliffe, Tommy Sheridan, Hayden Crozier
- between 10 and 50 games Lachie Weller
- less than 10 games Griffin Logue, Ethan Hughes, Luke Ryan, Taylin Duman, Ryan Nyhuis, Brady Grey

Rnd 1 likely back 6.

Spurr - Dawson - Hamling

I actually prefer Collins over Dawson, if rd 1 freo lost to cats , Confident issue and pressure will rise.

Reason
1) Dawson tend to do some silly stuff in game ( depend on his mood)
2) Johnson got the tendency to get injure in game.
3) if both incident occur freo defence will be undersiege again.

Rnd 1 likely back 6.

Spurr - Dawson - Hamling

Please no Dawson,I'd prefer to see ibbo play over Dawson.

Please no Dawson,I'd prefer to see ibbo play over Dawson.
Please no Ibbo ,when pressure is on his decision making ever get more slower. The last Bulldog game in 2016 not so much of pressure for them to go hard and get injured.

Sorry! Don't see Collins cutting the mustard. I think Logue and perhaps Cox will be ahead of him from next year on.

After watching Sa Collins Debut last year, He seems like he will be a serviceable player. I Logue and Cox are fighting for the same spots, that's a good thing. Competition improves players development.

At the beginning of last year it was all about attacking styles, and shoot outs. By the end of the year, finals, funny how the games
became an arm wrestle.
Even Peel'l success was built around a strong defensive style, something that is a forte with Ross Lyon coached teams.
If anything Peel will beome even harder to score against, and I believe many of these guys will make the grade at AFL if given the
chance.
Very excited to see the improvement of Nyhuis, Logue, etc at Peel, then looking at guys who may play games with them, Tucker, Collins, sure
we lack experience, but there is plenty of quality for Ross to leave his mark.

Is defence ranked on the team or back six? I'd argue our best defenders in 2013 were Ballas, Mayne and Son Son. Throw the pig in for good measure, too.

I'd like our back six in 2017 to be as follows (if fully fit):

Spurr - Pearce - Hamling
Ibbo - MJ - Crozier

Eventually, Logue will come in for either MJ (injuries) or Ibbo (form). If Sutcliffe can get back to 2013 form and Luke Ryan gets some consistency with Peel, they give good competition to Spurr.

Last season for Ethan Hughes to show he can break into the seniors.

Alex Pearce is a negating key defender. Collins or Dawson are his like for like replacement. I gave it to Zac because he did so well on Hawkins last time we played in Rnd17. Against Port in Rnd 2 I don't think we would need 3 tall defenders so Hamling/Johnson would suffice.
Alex Pearce a negating defender! Have you actually watched him play football?He runs like a gazelle and played as a midfielder here in Tassie until he had a growth spurt.

lw11 has pretty much nailed it. Our ability to shut teams down in 2013 and 2015 was based around trapping the ball inside our attacking 50 and marking the opposition long hurried kick. With Elvis taking the oppositions most dangerous forward and Johnno/Ibbo and Spurr/Duffield intercept marking, we strangled everyone.

Forward and midfield pressure allows the defense the luxury of long (and often hurried) kicks inside defensive 50. If you give a modern footballer time and space he will more often than not his his target. The pace of B Hill and hopefully Bennel allow with Sonny, Ballas and Weller will hopefully see a return to whole team defense.

Hammer will become the new Elvis. In time Logue should take over the taller intercept role with the advantage of being a left footer. Crozier showed some promise last year as the smaller intercept mark. We got burned badly turning the ball over out of defense last year. With a significant change of personnel there's a good chance we can remedy that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back