Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

morris086

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does recruiting an elite player (Buddy, Judd, Dangerfield etc.) ever really work though? You could argue that bringing in role players and going to the draft is a better method of building a team. Finding a young mid on another teams list who is under utilised/valued like J.P. Kennedy was at the Hawks is what I'd be doing. Getting a Fyfe or Martin for "free" would be great but the contract dollars needed to secure them could push out a Mcgov/Lever.

Last edited:

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does recruiting an elite player (Buddy, Judd, Dangerfield etc.) ever really work though? You could argue that bringing in role players and going to the draft is a better method of building a team. Finding a young mid on another teams list who is under utilised/valued like J.P. Kennedy was at the Hawks is what I'd be doing.
In 2015 when Buddy pulled out of the finals Sydney bombed. In 2016 they made the GF and almost won it.

In 2015 without Danger Geelong missed the finals, in 2016 they made a PF.

Judd lifted an average side to finals.

It doesn't guarantee you success but it helps more than not having them.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fyfe would be the dream followed by Shiel for me. But they may be a little optimistic. I feel that we have to be looking a little "out of the money". For that, I would offer a Fyfe or Shiel like contract (big money, 5 or 6 years) to Josh Kelly. His numbers are already very good considering the real ball winning spots in the team are taken by 3 or 4 of the leagues best players. GWS will not be able to match that kind of offer for all of its budding stars and their wont be many clubs that would stay in for him at that price. If we went really, big, like Tom Boyd to WB then no club would be able to match him and that should lower the value of trade that we would need to give up in return. One first rounder might be enough.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Means s**t all until he signs.

Jarryd Lyons was "happy here" too until he received a better offer elsewhere.

Jarryd Lyons never wanted to leave. Shiel will get a decent offer, Lyons didn't.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fyfe would be the dream followed by Shiel for me. But they may be a little optimistic. I feel that we have to be looking a little "out of the money". For that, I would offer a Fyfe or Shiel like contract (big money, 5 or 6 years) to Josh Kelly. His numbers are already very good considering the real ball winning spots in the team are taken by 3 or 4 of the leagues best players. GWS will not be able to match that kind of offer for all of its budding stars and their wont be many clubs that would stay in for him at that price. If we went really, big, like Tom Boyd to WB then no club would be able to match him and that should lower the value of trade that we would need to give up in return. One first rounder might be enough.
Fyfe is the only one with a slight chance of leaving . The others are locks to stay - bookmark it !

Fyfe - will be interesting to see if the players vote him in as captain , this may influence things . Not sure if the players like him or not shall find out soon. Fyfe wouldn't come to crows in any case . Bookmark it !

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Fyfe is the only one with a slight chance of leaving . The others are locks to stay - bookmark it !

Fyfe - will be interesting to see if the players vote him in as captain , this may influence things . Not sure if the players like him or not shall find out soon. Fyfe wouldn't come to crows in any case . Bookmark it !
Fyfe, IMO, will go to the Saints *if* he leaves. Feel like Dusty and Rocky will leave too, but I just cannot pick to where.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fyfe, IMO, will go to the Saints *if* he leaves. Feel like Dusty and Rocky will leave too, but I just cannot pick to where.
The only one where we may have some sort of small tiny minuscule chance is Dusty Martin - mainly because he's unpredictable and might value $ above other things so would be a chance if we were throwing $ around

Everyone should forget Shiel Kelly and Fyfe - Pipe dreaming

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-...artins-management-sit-down-for-contract-talks
DUSTIN Martin's agent Ralph Carr has met with Richmond to discuss the star midfielder's future.

Carr, who was accompanied by former Essendon player and assistant coach Dean Wallis, met with Tigers officials Neil Balme and Dan Richardson on Tuesday.

The fact the meeting did actually happen quashes speculation the parties weren't talking at all.

The club officials left the meeting in the belief that communication will continue.

All Carr said when contacted after the meeting was "nothing to report at this point." Adding, "stay tuned."

It reaffirms Martin's contract status will be one of the talking points of the season.

Martin is a free agent at the end of this season, and is managed by entertainment guru Carr.

Carr's management firm has a sports arm in RCM Sport, and while his stable of stars is limited, he has one of the biggest names in the game on his books.

Martin, 25, has been embroiled in a full on contract circus before.

In 2013, when he was last out of contract, reports initially surfaced that he had walked out of Punt Road.

Martin issued a strong denial on social media, insisting it wasn't the case, saying he simply instructed his manager to tell Richmond he wanted to "fully consider the options about my future".

He was then spotted by television cameras touring Greater Western Sydney's facilities, creating more sensational headlines and hours of talkback radio conversation.

Ultimately, he stayed at Punt Road.

All of that happened under the guidance of Carr, and so far there's nothing to suggest "the show" is not going to be the same, if not bigger, this time around.

Carr is a man who knows how to manage a star and how to use the showbiz factor to extract the best deal for his client.

Whether that deal is ultimately with Richmond or at another club, 2017 looms as year when Dusty's decision is on everyone's lips.

In a rare interview on AFL.com.au last August ahead of his 150th game, Martin told Matthew Richardson that he expected to remain at Punt Road.

Richardson asked: "Do you you see yourself playing another 150 and being a Tiger for life?"

Martin replied: "Yeah mate, I'd love to for sure.”

That was off the back of a challenging year in which Martin got caught up in what became known as "the chopstick affair" at a Melbourne restaurant, and his father was deported to New Zealand.

The Tigers have granted him leave to visit his father from time to time.

As one football person close to discussions told AFL.com.au, "So the circus begins."

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
On the Freo board that Fyfe is asking for $1.5m a year. Are we in considering the total salary cap is $10.6m. Can we fit Nat Fyfe and JJ in the same cap lol.

Edited

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
WCE and Richmond boards both have us as main player...
We couldn't, could we?
Given how we aced that Gibbs trade you can't help but think we're a playa here too

Ramify

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
On the Freo board that Fyfe is asking for $1.5m a year. Are we in considering the total salary cap is $10.6m. Can we fit Nat Fyfe and JJ in the same cap lol.

Edited

Id rather 2x $750,000 per year mids with solid skeletal framework.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Edited

Hard to build a strong list when one player is on $1.5M per season

If true this indicates to me that Fyfe is all about self before team and this has been some of the noise leaking from the Freo camp

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given how we aced that Gibbs trade you can't help but think we're a playa here too
Very different circumstances. Even though there has been meltdowns regarding the Gibbs trade and the fact that he didn't come across, I think there would have been similar meltdowns, possibly worse, if we had have paid said asking price. Imagine if we had have given up two first rounders, or a first and one of our elite youngsters. I would have extremely disappointed myself. In 12 months we would have downgraded from Danger to Gibbs and one less first round pick. No thanks. With free agency, it's all about the dollars. Is that figure something we are willing to pony up ?? Do Freo have the room to make a similar offer to keep him ??

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Means s**t all until he signs.

Jarryd Lyons was "happy here" too until he received a better offer elsewhere.

Lyons was happy here and desperately wanted to stay. But he was valued as a depth player when he'd proven himself a capable player at the level. But with Dusty, Fyfe and Rockliff playing in 2018, even Sloane will struggle to be a first choice mid.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hard to build a strong list when one player is on $1.5M per season

If true this indicates to me that Fyfe is all about self before team and this has been some of the noise leaking from the Freo camp

Yeah. Thats 14% of the cap that has to cover 46 players. On the other hand if we could somehow squeeze him in then we would probably be the only club that could. Could tell him to go to the draft with a price on his head and we could pick him up for free with our last pick (is that still possible?). I would trade JJ to the Lions or even Crouch if we could add Fyfe and keep the rest of our squad together for the next few years.

But its simply impossible to keep our list together and pay one player that much.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Id rather 2x $750,000 per year mids with solid skeletal framework.

Would you give up JJ and B Crouch for Fyfe and an extra 2 first round draft picks? Assuming we could get Fyfe for free as no ither club could fit him in their cap?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

I can think of at least one past player who doesn't like him

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would you give up JJ and B Crouch for Fyfe and an extra 2 first round draft picks? Assuming we could get Fyfe for free as no ither club could fit him in their cap?
And then trade those 2 first rd picks for a star (no Bryce, not you)

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah. Thats 14% of the cap that has to cover 46 players. On the other hand if we could somehow squeeze him in then we would probably be the only club that could. Could tell him to go to the draft with a price on his head and we could pick him up for free with our last pick (is that still possible?). I would trade JJ to the Lions or even Crouch if we could add Fyfe and keep the rest of our squad together for the next few years.

But its simply impossible to keep our list together and pay one player that much.
You dont need to keep all of them...Sydney did it well - lose Mumford (Pyke), Malcjeski (Smith) for Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back