Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
And then trade those 2 first rd picks for a star (no Bryce, not you)

Well the point was that we couldnt afford those other stars. So we develop those first rounders and pay them a low salary so that we can afford Fyfe along with the existing players we have (Sloane, Tex, Eddie). I would love 3 first rounders (ours plus one each for JJ and Crouch). That would be great.

I just wonder how we can tell the rest of our players there is no money to give them a bump up when they come to renew their contracts; while Fyfe is sitting on 14% of the total cap. It sounds good in theory but impossible in practice.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
You dont need to keep all of them...Sydney did it well - lose Mumford (Pyke), Malcjeski (Smith) for Franklin

Who are our big earners that are expendable? Ouch. Touchy subject here. Could get me binned if I suggested the wrong name? I would definately bin JJ. Would like to keep B. Crouch. If Gov is going to cost 500k then I could give him up begrudgingly. Who are our big earners? I wouldn't give up Sloane or Eddie. The rest I would consider for Fyfe.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well the point was that we couldnt afford those other stars. So we develop those first rounders and pay them a low salary so that we can afford Fyfe along with the existing players we have (Sloane, Tex, Eddie). I would love 3 first rounders (ours plus one each for JJ and Crouch). That would be great.

I just wonder how we can tell the rest of our players there is no money to give them a bump up when they come to renew their contracts; while Fyfe is sitting on 14% of the total cap. It sounds good in theory but impossible in practice.
Were you not happy when Brad Crouch re-signed ?? He has the potential to be absolutely elite. We just need to see it, hopefully it will be this year. Just because we have seen a couple of lean years from him due to injury, I don't think we should give up. If you are suggesting that we trade two players that we just signed, what would that do to the confidence of the playing group ?? Hard to build a culture and a confidence within the playing group when in the back of their minds they are thinking they could be traded to any club in Australia even if a playing contract is current.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Were you not happy when Brad Crouch re-signed ?? He has the potential to be absolutely elite. We just need to see it, hopefully it will be this year. Just because we have seen a couple of lean years from him due to injury, I don't think we should give up. If you are suggesting that we trade two players that we just signed, what would that do to the confidence of the playing group ?? Hard to build a culture and a confidence within the playing group when in the back of their minds they are thinking they could be traded to any club in Australia even if a playing contract is current.

Lol. Absolutely I was happy. I am really excited about him. Dont get me wrong here. I am going through the hypothetical of how you would make way in the salary cap for Fyfe at $1.5m a year. I dont think it is practical and it could damage the moral of the whole squad. But I am just talking about how you would do that in theory. I picked JJ and Brad because I know they are on big coin. Thats all. I also suggested Gov because its being mentioned that he will coat 500k from next year onward.

But practically speaking I dont think you can keep together a premiership contending squad if one player earns 14% of the wage cap.

Dont worry - love Brad Crouch.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lol. Absolutely I was happy. I am really excited about him. Dont get me wrong here. I am going through the hypothetical of how you would make way in the salary cap for Fyfe at $1.5m a year. I dont think it is practical and it could damage the moral of the whole squad. But I am just talking about how you would do that in theory. I picked JJ and Brad because I know they are on big coin. Thats all. I also suggested Gov because its being mentioned that he will coat 500k from next year onward.

But practically speaking I dont think you can keep together a premiership contending squad if one player earns 14% of the wage cap.

Dont worry - love Brad Crouch.
Ah ok. Completely agree. Unless the salary cap goes up substantially, paying one player that much doesn't make any sense. All of the teams that have had extended success were vocal about their players wanting to stay together to achieve success. Essentially accepting unders pay wise for the greater good of the team. Surely two mids at $750K have a much greater ceiling than one player at $1.5 mil.

Ramify

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would you give up JJ and B Crouch for Fyfe and an extra 2 first round draft picks? Assuming we could get Fyfe for free as no ither club could fit him in their cap?

JJ in a heartbeat, but can we keep Crouch and bundle CEY,Wigg and Dmac in together as a sweetner?

Despite his poor run of injury Im still of the opinion Crouch could become the games bast Midfielder if he gets his body right.

Would still rather 2x$750000 players(can get some seriously good young players for that coin).I Dont think paying anyone that percentage of your salary cap is good for team morale,unity or evenness of spread and despite Fyfes insane talent I think he will start looking more and more like the Carlton version of Judd after what his body has gone through recently.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
JJ in a heartbeat, but can we keep Crouch and bundle CEY,Wigg and Dmac in together as a sweetner?

Despite his poor run of injury Im still of the opinion Crouch could become the games bast Midfielder if he gets his body right.

Would still rather 2x$750000 players(can get some seriously good young players for that coin).I Dont think paying anyone that percentage of your salary cap is good for team morale,unity or evenness of spread and despite Fyfes insane talent I think he will start looking more and more like the Carlton version of Judd after what his body has gone through recently.

Reckon Martin would be worth $1 million and he is superb easily top 3 midfielders last year' is equivelant if not better than sloane has more ability to break away is very evasive. With sloane and Martin in the same team, we become like Geelong if not better if we retain both Crouchs. That is where I would like to see the mid sit. Surely Adelaide will have learnt from not getting Gibbs and just thinking about that mid is insane they seriously need to go hard at him

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Yeah. Thats 14% of the cap that has to cover 46 players. On the other hand if we could somehow squeeze him in then we would probably be the only club that could. Could tell him to go to the draft with a price on his head and we could pick him up for free with our last pick (is that still possible?). I would trade JJ to the Lions or even Crouch if we could add Fyfe and keep the rest of our squad together for the next few years.

But its simply impossible to keep our list together and pay one player that much.

It's not as simple as that, firstly Fyke would want more than 5 years and you also need to factor in money you need to set aside for the likes of Cameron, Milera, Lever, Gallucci, Doedee, Himmelberg, Poholke assuming they develop as planned

IMO no player under the current salary cap regulations is worth $1.5M a year, ultimately your list mgt will be impacted

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's not as simple as that, firstly Fyke would want more than 5 years and you also need to factor in money you need to set aside for the likes of Cameron, Milera, Lever, Gallucci, Doedee, Himmelberg, Poholke assuming they develop as planned

IMO no player under the current salary cap regulations is worth $1.5M a year, ultimately your list mgt will be impacted

Martin is the player you would want as it will be around $1 Million, as for the youngsters you mentioned, what if they dont develop, we are in a premiership opportunity at the moment if we need to spend the $$ to grab one we would be silly not to, the forward line we have is the best in the comp lets capatilize on it, Fyfe would hurt the cap but if it grabs us a flag it would be worth it.

However $1.5 million would mean off loading players as it would at every club as if you must pay 95% of the cap, so not one club has the room to fit Fyfe in freo are probably already paying $600-$700 so need to find the least. Even St kilda would struggle although Reiwoldt is finishing soon he would be on the Vets list so not all his wage is included

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very different circumstances. Even though there has been meltdowns regarding the Gibbs trade and the fact that he didn't come across, I think there would have been similar meltdowns, possibly worse, if we had have paid said asking price. Imagine if we had have given up two first rounders, or a first and one of our elite youngsters. I would have extremely disappointed myself. In 12 months we would have downgraded from Danger to Gibbs and one less first round pick. No thanks. With free agency, it's all about the dollars. Is that figure something we are willing to pony up ?? Do Freo have the room to make a similar offer to keep him ??

Overpaying to "buy out" a contract is stupidity. You can't complain about not negotiating harder when selling Danger if you're going to turn around and be happy to overpay when purchasing. Especially when the seller is adding a premium purely due to existing contract length.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very different circumstances. Even though there has been meltdowns regarding the Gibbs trade and the fact that he didn't come across, I think there would have been similar meltdowns, possibly worse, if we had have paid said asking price. Imagine if we had have given up two first rounders, or a first and one of our elite youngsters. I would have extremely disappointed myself. In 12 months we would have downgraded from Danger to Gibbs and one less first round pick. No thanks. With free agency, it's all about the dollars. Is that figure something we are willing to pony up ?? Do Freo have the room to make a similar offer to keep him ??

Freo would be in a better position than anyone to pay the salary, teams must pay 95% of their cap at present if the indications of 1.5 are correct and freo would already be paying him a fair bit the amount they need to find is achevable. where as another club need to find the full amount and should only really have $500,000 if they are at the bottom end of their cap of 95%, but who is at that

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
As a richmond supporter quite rightly said, who in their right mind we agree to anything before the EA is finalised

Agreed, also there's probably significant variability yet in McGoverns contract depending ou how he performs, at present he's a talented player with potential who's had a reasonable first year, issue is that probably only buys you a $250-350k a year contract for 2-3 years. If he comes out and makes good on his potential starring in the first 3 weeks suddenly he's looking at $500k+ with 3+ years. Where players like Tippett, Danger, Dustin Martin etc aren't going to be able to buy much in terms of excess contract because they were/are pretty much at their peak and will be offered top dollar anyway.

No point getting too worked up with McGovern yet, he's certainly a risk, but at the same time, his position and our depth is such that we could probably afford to lose him assuming we got decent value in return.

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who are our big earners that are expendable? Ouch. Touchy subject here. Could get me binned if I suggested the wrong name? I would definately bin JJ. Would like to keep B. Crouch. If Gov is going to cost 500k then I could give him up begrudgingly. Who are our big earners? I wouldn't give up Sloane or Eddie. The rest I would consider for Fyfe.
I've been saying it for probably 18 months now, Smith is our high-ender we can afford to move on. Probably not on Sloane/Tex money at the moment of course, but would be looking at $500+ comfortably on his next contract I would have thought. Would attract decent value in a trade.

JJ would have been a good option too, but we kind of closed that option down with the 5 year deal.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been saying it for probably 18 months now, Smith is our high-ender we can afford to move on. Probably not on Sloane/Tex money at the moment of course, but would be looking at $500+ comfortably on his next contract I would have thought. Would attract decent value in a trade.

JJ would have been a good option too, but we kind of closed that option down with the 5 year deal.

Yeah. Smith would be a good shout if we went fown that road. But 1.5m is just not doable. New contracts have to be agreed every year and one player just impacts that ability to keep the squad together too much.

I would still move on JJ first. Even though he has only just signed up he is the one player that seems to really get free agency and player movement. Its really not a big deal and moving to any city in Australia that has a franchise should be on the cards for every single player.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Fyfe wants 1.5 crows should walk away. He needs to realistic and if he wants a flag he would know most clubs who in contention won't pay that. That's almost double what danger would be on

Means s**t all until he signs.

Jarryd Lyons was "happy here" too until he received a better offer elsewhere.

I dunno if Jarryd Lyons is the best example of that seeing he was forced out.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Fyfe wants 1.5 crows should walk away. He needs to realistic and if he wants a flag he would know most clubs who in contention won't pay that. That's almost double what danger would be on

Couldn't agree more. I reckon Fyfe's peak time to move and command a great salary was over a year ago. Now, I'm worried that he will decline following his last year's history of injury. He's no guarantee, IMO.

Ramify

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Martin is the player you would want as it will be around $1 Million, as for the youngsters you mentioned, what if they dont develop, we are in a premiership opportunity at the moment if we need to spend the $$ to grab one we would be silly not to, the forward line we have is the best in the comp lets capatilize on it, Fyfe would hurt the cap but if it grabs us a flag it would be worth it.

However $1.5 million would mean off loading players as it would at every club as if you must pay 95% of the cap, so not one club has the room to fit Fyfe in freo are probably already paying $600-$700 so need to find the least. Even St kilda would struggle although Reiwoldt is finishing soon he would be on the Vets list so not all his wage is included

Id rather throw the cool mil' at cleanskins the likes of the Bont, Cripps or Petrecca. Guys that havent quite hit their straps but will do in the next 1-3 years, but dont quite demand that kind of coin just yet(Bont prolly does).

Martin Id pay 850k tops on the books,but set him up with the local chapter and buy him Focarellis old parlour on Hindley st off the books.

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
The other end of the foot bridge
AFL Club
Adelaide
Couldn't agree more. I reckon Fyfe's peak time to move and command a great salary was over a year ago. Now, I'm worried that he will decline following his last year's history of injury. He's no guarantee, IMO.
Agree with this.

Reckon he'll stay anyway. Freo will give him enough to stay, and like someone already said no team in contention is going near 1.5M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back