FTA-TV Game of Thrones Season 6 - non book readers *no spoilers until show airs*

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't rate the battle of the bastards episode very highly. Made Jon seem utterly stupid as a leader.

Sansa had basically told him that Ramsey would kill Rickon before the fight and told him not to fall into Ramseys trap.

Nek minute gives up the idea of his battle plan and charges in recklessly to save/avenge Rickon.

Hmm yes and no, I'd argue season 6 was easily better than season 5.

Dogs disappearing is hardly a writing issue, just a continuity error which sometimes crops up in productions. And instantaneous travel/flexible timelines are just something you have to accept in a show with as many moving parts as this - to get around it and make it feel more legit you'd have to burn way too much screentime with dialogue driven scenes sitting in the back of a wagon/boat/whatever that serve absolutely no purpose except to imply passage of time. Not a big issue that they have to take some liberties with it.

Worth remembering that it was considered unfilmable for years before HBO went all in on it.
I can accept that scenes may have days ,or even months, between them. The issue with the sand snakes is that we have 2 fairly well documented time lines intersecting (Jamie & Trystane, and the sand snakes) and it's very clear that more time has passed in one stream than the other.

In the first stream, the ship has just arrived in Kings Landing. Trystane is still painting the stone eyes which will be placed on Myrcella's eyes. It's only days since she died.

In the second stream the snakes have killed Prince Doran and caught a second ship to Kings Landing.

There is no way that the same amount of time has passed in both streams. Hence the snakes having developed time travel.

I can accept that scenes may have days ,or even months, between them. The issue with the sand snakes is that we have 2 fairly well documented time lines intersecting (Jamie & Trystane, and the sand snakes) and it's very clear that more time has passed in one stream than the other.

In the first stream, the ship has just arrived in Kings Landing. Trystane is still painting the stone eyes which will be placed on Myrcella's eyes. It's only days since she died.

In the second stream the snakes have killed Prince Doran and caught a second ship to Kings Landing.

There is no way that the same amount of time has passed in both streams. Hence the snakes having developed time travel.
Yup. People bitch about Littlefinger and Varys having a teleporter, but the Sand Snakes are an absolute mess.

Yeah that was the most jarring example for me too, when they turned up on the ship I was like wait wut? Just have to assume they killed Doran before Jamie's ship was even out of sight and immediately followed behind on another boat, even though it wasn't edited like that.

Just tops off the sh1tness that is Dorne. Still, small issue in a show of this overall quality.

Last edited:
I didn't rate the battle of the bastards episode very highly. Made Jon seem utterly stupid as a leader.

Sansa had basically told him that Ramsey would kill Rickon before the fight and told him not to fall into Ramseys trap.

Nek minute gives up the idea of his battle plan and charges in recklessly to save/avenge Rickon.
no, it made Ramsey seem like the evil, manipulative genius that he is/was.

And anyway, Jon is pretty stupid. Not sure why you think he isn't or why it upsets you. He's always been a naive, overly-principled, not hugely smart guy over-compensating for the fact that he's a bastard. He's never, ever displayed any penchant for deep thought, from a personal, strategic or leadership perspective. Jon will always need smart people around him to leverage his charisma - like Sansa for example

no, it made Ramsey seem like the evil, manipulative genius that he is/was.

And anyway, Jon is pretty stupid. Not sure why you think he isn't or why it upsets you. He's always been a naive, overly-principled, not hugely smart guy over-compensating for the fact that he's a bastard. He's never, ever displayed any penchant for deep thought, from a personal, strategic or leadership perspective. Jon will always need smart people around him to leverage his charisma - like Sansa for example

Dunno if I'd go that far - he's the only one thinking long-term and strategically at the Nights Watch.

Agree that he is principled, which is a big weakness in GoT. Emotional too.

There's rarely been any notion made that Jon is some tactical genius. That was Robb.

Jon's appeal as a leader has been his honour, his combat ability and his penchant for the inspirational. Davos was the only legitimate tactician on his side of the battlefield.

Hmm I guess I can agree with Jon being stupid. I have a feeling he's going to be the guy leading the fight against the whitewalkers. Probably alongside Dany. Doesn't bode well for humanity.

Jon was the only one smart enough and strategic enough to get the wildlings on side though.

As pointed out above, it did get him killed, and in reality as a man of relative compassion I think it was as much a moral idea as a tactical one. His first goal with them was pretty much to help save them once he understood why they wanted to come south. Once he'd achieved that he saw the opportunity to have them onside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Book readers are desperate to s**t on it now the show is ahead, and mistakenly think the author guy isn't giving HBO the gist of it.
The "s**t" bits in the show are actually the "s**t" bits in the books from what i understand i.e. the whole Dorne bit with Sandsnakes etc and the Aria storyline in Bravos. Those storylines were in the books more or less.

It's not like the last 2 books were up to the quality of the first three anyway (from what my son tells me and from what I've read about them although I have not read them myself).

Season 6 was great and ended on a real high. It had three of the most highly rated episodes in the series.

The "s**t" bits in the show are actually the "s**t" bits in the books from what i understand i.e. the whole Dorne bit with Sandsnakes etc and the Aria storyline in Bravos. Those storylines were in the books more or less.

It's not like the last 2 books were up to the quality of the first three anyway (from what my son tells me and from what I've read about them although I have not read them myself).

Season 6 was great and ended on a real high. It had three of the most highly rated episodes in the series.

Agreed. To listen to some of the snobbery, you'd swear that the 900 or so pages of each book are without the odd lull or quiet bit.

Let me tell you - they aren't. Like anything creative, be it a book, a show, a movie or an album, it can't be 100 per cent perfect. I don't know why anyone assumes that it can.

Agreed. To listen to some of the snobbery, you'd swear that the 900 or so pages of each book are without the odd lull or quiet bit.

Let me tell you - they aren't. Like anything creative, be it a book, a show, a movie or an album, it can't be 100 per cent perfect. I don't know why anyone assumes that it can.
Yep... the last 2 books are full of so much filler they can be pretty tedious to read at times.

It did, but isn't that the ultimate in leadership? To do what you know is the right thing, even if its the unpopular thing?
Absolutely he did the right thing but in a conversation about Jon Snow doing dumb things as if they're plot holes or weak writing he has a track record of doing what's right in preference to what's smart.

So him charging onto the field to try save Ricon isn't weak writing as it's entirely in line with his character

Remember he was the one who had to be talked into killing Quorin Halfhand - it was Quorin who realised the tactical nous of such an act, not Jon. He also didn't kill Ygritte because of emotion and morals when sensibility should have dictated that he did it. There's no shortage of examples of him doing the emotional thing or the right thing, instead of the smart thing.

Recognising the threat of the white walkers is the only major thing he's done that has been tactically spot on - and pretty much anyone who's been through what he has would recognise that threat anyway even if they were as thick as two planks.

Jon has always been one of the few truly honourable good guys in the show though. It's not out of character for him to risk sacrificing himself to save a family member.
Plus at that point he didn't care if he lived or died, it was only during the battle when the life was being crushed out of him that he decided he wanted to live.

some reddit post apparently has leaked the whole season 7

I'm sure he was stroking his Internet hero Pee-Wee Herman 4 inch boner while he did it.

Will never understand the silly little campaigners who find things such as this a noble exercise.

Introduce him to Sansa I reckon….

20160602_ep609_Publicity_still_061.001684321-810x456.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back