Driving the Nullarbor - Perth to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anybody know if the trip is possible on dedicated LPG?
Perth to Norseman might be fine, I am not sure between Norseman and Balladonia , Madura, Eucla, Ceduna and maybe to Port Augusta, but after that I'd say fine, but LPG? Some one else will surely know, its that long stretch , from Norseman to Port Augusta , there are about three or four main stops through there , you might be advised to call Balladonia roadhouse and Madura and Eucla , or the RAC to make sure , but one of those calls would give you the mail on all fuel stops.

Perth to Norseman might be fine, I am not sure between Norseman and Balladonia , Madura, Eucla, Ceduna and maybe to Port Augusta, but after that I'd say fine, but LPG? Some one else will surely know, its that long stretch , from Norseman to Port Augusta , there are about three or four main stops through there , you might be advised to call Balladonia roadhouse and Madura and Eucla , or the RAC to make sure , but one of those calls would give you the mail on all fuel stops.
I see. Thanks for the advice.

I have a 90L gas tank that gets me 700 odd kms city driving. So hopefully no stretch is over 500kms or so, I reckon getting low on LPG in the bush would make me anxious haha

Does anybody know if the trip is possible on dedicated LPG?
From GreyNomads site the ones with prices. From looking at a few other forums it seems it is possible to do so. Do some further research

Southern Cross
Norseman- LPG 109.9/ ULP 145.9
Balladonia
Madura Pass - LPG 134.0/ULP 182.0
Mundrabilla Roadhouse down the track Bruce and Joanne also plan to install an LPG fuel facility. For the most upto date petrol prices from Mundrabilla Roadhouse telephone
Border Village
Nullabor Roadhouse has lpg
Eucla - LPG 130.0 on the Border
Nundroo - LPG 102.9 Near Ceduna

Edit: added new info look on this website http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/towns/balladonia.html

Last edited:
From GreyNomads site the ones with prices. From looking at a few other forums it seems it is possible to do so. Do some further research

Southern Cross
Norseman- LPG 109.9/ ULP 145.9
Balladonia
Madura Pass - LPG 134.0/ULP 182.0
Mundrabilla Roadhouse down the track Bruce and Joanne also plan to install an LPG fuel facility. For the most upto date petrol prices from Mundrabilla Roadhouse telephone
Border Village
Nullabor Roadhouse has lpg
Eucla - LPG 130.0 on the Border
Nundroo - LPG 102.9 Near Ceduna

Edit: added new info look on this website http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/towns/balladonia.html
Wow thanks mate! Given me much more confidence and hope haha

Ive been looking on a few other forums, most of the discussion is pretty dated. But it seems its def possible on LPG. I think I'll just have to plan this cleverly and ring up the servos n roadhouses a few days beforehand to make sure they have a working LPG pump.

Wow thanks mate! Given me much more confidence and hope haha

Ive been looking on a few other forums, most of the discussion is pretty dated. But it seems its def possible on LPG. I think I'll just have to plan this cleverly and ring up the servos n roadhouses a few days beforehand to make sure they have a working LPG pump.
That's the way to go, check out the lot. No worries , you'll have a great trip.

Don't get probed in teh anus by marauding space aliens (unless you're cool with that sort of thing, in which case grab an 'I want to believe' poster and stick it on your car bonnet).
eveileB ot tnaw I

Ok I'm doing this next week..whenever the weathers in a bit of a cool spot.

Doing it on dedicated LPG, hope I make it.

Trying to push through it and do it in 2 nights.

back in the "old days" I would leave Perth 5am and arrive in Adelaide the following morning at around 7am.

The navy would pay circa $0.50 a kilometre, which was a bit of a free kick each year.

but enforcement of speed limits makes that near on impossible these days.

Ok I'm doing this next week..whenever the weathers in a bit of a cool spot.

Doing it on dedicated LPG, hope I make it.

Trying to push through it and do it in 2 nights.
Nights? Any day driving? Just make sure all roadhouses are 24 hours. They should be but who knows.

Nights? Any day driving? Just make sure all roadhouses are 24 hours. They should be but who knows.
I meant i hope it takes me 3 days, 2 nights to complete.

Thinking of leaving at 5am each morning and driving 12 hours per day.

I dont have a bull bar.. and even if i did, i wouldnt drive at night!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should do it easy. Went over for a holiday early 2000, with 3 kids, did the same 3 days but picked spots. Coming back we realized we had the extra daylight so pushed and did it 2/1. Border Village was our stop on the way back then into Adelaide with petrol stops etc. . ( the direction you are going) On the way over we stopped at Nullarbor, Norseman and then into Perth.

back in the "old days" I would leave Perth 5am and arrive in Adelaide the following morning at around 7am.

The navy would pay circa $0.50 a kilometre, which was a bit of a free kick each year.

but enforcement of speed limits makes that near on impossible these days.

And there is no dirt between Eucla and Ceduna now, first time I ever came over west from Melbourne the dirt and corrugation was over three hundred miles, miles!
But 5AM TO 7AM must have been a non stop drive. Last time I did it we left after overnight in Norseman and went to Port Augusta, left early probably around 8 am , got to drive all day and hit Port Augusta almost empty on fuel, at 3 am the next morning. But make sure you don't over estimate your tank , couldn't get fuel after about 8 or 9 PM in any little places , of which there barely are any any how, all shut. That was between the 19th and 22nd December 2015 ..
Not a good way to travel. I like to take a few days and to sleep, plus when we came back from Melbourne, the kangaroos were like a plague in WA, try to stop by dusk, and sleep.
Its a really pleasant trip a few days , go to the Bight look at the Eagle protection place , try and find a camel. We didn't but camel warning signs every where. We did it last 2015 into 2016 , going to do it again hopefully this year some time.
If you have only a few days to get somewhere I guess that's a different thing .

And there is no dirt between Eucla and Ceduna now, first time I ever came over west from Melbourne the dirt and corrugation was over three hundred miles, miles!
But 5AM TO 7AM must have been a non stop drive. Last time I did it we left after overnight in Norseman and went to Port Augusta, left early probably around 8 am , got to drive all day and hit Port Augusta almost empty on fuel, at 3 am the next morning. But make sure you don't over estimate your tank , couldn't get fuel after about 8 or 9 PM in any little places , of which there barely are any any how, all shut. That was between the 19th and 22nd December 2015 ..
Not a good way to travel. I like to take a few days and to sleep, plus when we came back from Melbourne, the kangaroos were like a plague in WA, try to stop by dusk, and sleep.
Its a really pleasant trip a few days , go to the Bight look at the Eagle protection place , try and find a camel. We didn't but camel warning signs every where. We did it last 2015 into 2016 , going to do it again hopefully this year some time.
If you have only a few days to get somewhere I guess that's a different thing .

I need a full nights rest these days but 30 minute kip was enough.

Oh and great diving in the limestone caves!

Watch out for the random wild animals crossing the road, you'll see all sorts from emus, Roos, camels to wild goats

went on a family driving holiday from brisbane to perth in 1973 and spent my 14th birthday on the nullarbor plain, part of the road was still gravel back then.

i then did a solo drive brisbane to perth just after i got my license so the late 70s, listened to Cat Stevens (tea for the tillerman) and Eagles (greatest hits) on cassette tape over and over again the whole way there.

went on a family driving holiday from brisbane to perth in 1973 and spent my 14th birthday on the nullarbor plain, part of the road was still gravel back then.

i then did a solo drive brisbane to perth just after i got my license so the late 70s, listened to Cat Stevens (tea for the tillerman) and Eagles (greatest hits) on cassette tape over and over again the whole way there.
I can relate . I came with two mates from Melbourne in 1973 dirt road from Ceduna to Eucla. Brissy is a looooong drive!

I can relate . I came with two mates from Melbourne in 1973 dirt road from Ceduna to Eucla. Brissy is a looooong drive!
yep, i was a big fan of perth and surrounds back then, i also flew over there when i was still single for a holiday with my future best man and spent a fair bit of time in and around the pub at cottesloe beach/rottnest island. a few years later i did another drive with my bride to be. haven't been back since, that would have been 1983.

yep, i was a big fan of perth and surrounds back then, i also flew over there when i was still single for a holiday with my future best man and spent a fair bit of time in and around the pub at cottesloe beach/rottnest island. a few years later i did another drive with my bride to be. haven't been back since, that would have been 1983.

Cottesloe Beach front and the Pubs all still going, and Rottnest still draws a crowd.

I'll start by apologising if what I am posting has already been covered in this thread, as I havent read it all. For November/December this year Im going to fly my wife and I over to Aus to do a bit of a tour, that we both havent done. Thinking to fly into Perth and travel for 2-3 weeks from Perth to Melbourne, via the coast, if its possible, or alternating coast/Nullabor. Ive never done the drive myself, neither has she.

Im thinking to hire a Britz 2 sleeper van with shower and toilet, that comes to $2,400 for 13 days. Is this a good option? Or should we consider buying our own van and selling it in Melbourne. The only problem with this is we will only be in Oz for about a month, and after 5 days in Melbourne we would like to fly up to the Gold Coast for the last week. Im just starting to research this now.

I'll start by apologising if what I am posting has already been covered in this thread, as I havent read it all. For November/December this year Im going to fly my wife and I over to Aus to do a bit of a tour, that we both havent done. Thinking to fly into Perth and travel for 2-3 weeks from Perth to Melbourne, via the coast, if its possible, or alternating coast/Nullabor. Ive never done the drive myself, neither has she.

Im thinking to hire a Britz 2 sleeper van with shower and toilet, that comes to $2,400 for 13 days. Is this a good option? Or should we consider buying our own van and selling it in Melbourne. The only problem with this is we will only be in Oz for about a month, and after 5 days in Melbourne we would like to fly up to the Gold Coast for the last week. Im just starting to research this now.
Have fun

Given your schedule I would go the Britz, unless you set up a buyer BEFORE you leave Europe or even Perth.

The coastal drive would mean adding many many Kms to your drive, but will be worth it. From Perth head down the coast along the Bunbury road down to Yallingup and Denmark, across to Albany. Then aim for Esperance. From Esperance you will find you turn your back on the coast for a while, but that is road driven and not any other reason. Heading from Esperance to Salmon Gums and Norseman, turning right at Norseman sends you along the Nullabor until you get to Eucla where you will join the coast again. From there to Ceduna. Stop at Nullabor Whale Watch centre. DO IT.

From Ceduna you have the option once again of cutting across or following the coast to Streaky Bay and Pt Lincoln etc, adds kms.

Continue up from Pt Lincoln to Pt Augusta and into Adelaide. From Adelaide you will once again have a choice of routes, across country or along the coast. Actually its no choice at all. When you get to Tailem Bend turn right to Meningie and follow all the way to Mt Gambier , you will pass the Coorong. From Mt Gambier head to the border looking for the Nelson Rd. Nelson to Portland then across to Pt Fairy and the Great Ocean Rd.

Job done. :D 2-3 weeks I would focus on TreeTop Walk near Walpole. Then Esperance. A day at Nullabor. Time at Streaky Bay and /or Pt Lincoln. The Barossa of course, and Adelaide. A day camping on the Coorong and at the Mount. See the Blue Lake. Then choose your time at Nelson, Portland and Pt Fairy. Portland has the Bridgewater Blowholes. Good walk and cliffs etc.

Enjoy.

Have fun

Given your schedule I would go the Britz, unless you set up a buyer BEFORE you leave Europe or even Perth.

The coastal drive would mean adding many many Kms to your drive, but will be worth it. From Perth head down the coast along the Bunbury road down to Yallingup and Denmark, across to Albany. Then aim for Esperance. From Esperance you will find you turn your back on the coast for a while, but that is road driven and not any other reason. Heading from Esperance to Salmon Gums and Norseman, turning right at Norseman sends you along the Nullabor until you get to Eucla where you will join the coast again. From there to Ceduna. Stop at Nullabor Whale Watch centre. DO IT.

From Ceduna you have the option once again of cutting across or following the coast to Streaky Bay and Pt Lincoln etc, adds kms.

Continue up from Pt Lincoln to Pt Augusta and into Adelaide. From Adelaide you will once again have a choice of routes, across country or along the coast. Actually its no choice at all. When you get to Tailem Bend turn right to Meningie and follow all the way to Mt Gambier , you will pass the Coorong. From Mt Gambier head to the border looking for the Nelson Rd. Nelson to Portland then across to Pt Fairy and the Great Ocean Rd.

Job done. :D 2-3 weeks I would focus on TreeTop Walk near Walpole. Then Esperance. A day at Nullabor. Time at Streaky Bay and /or Pt Lincoln. The Barossa of course, and Adelaide. A day camping on the Coorong and at the Mount. See the Blue Lake. Then choose your time at Nelson, Portland and Pt Fairy. Portland has the Bridgewater Blowholes. Good walk and cliffs etc.

Enjoy.

This appears to be great advice and tips for what we want to do. Really appreciate this and will help us as a starting point to research and pin down where we go.

Thank you GreyCrow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back