Analysis What if...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Was just thinking about a few of the events that have shaped our club in the past few years (Tippettgate, Eddie coming to us, the uproar of drafting Dangerfield over Ebert), and I was curious to think what might have happened if things went the opposite way.

Now, of course some of these things were never going to happen, but just for a bit of off-season fun, what would our club's history look like, say, if we didn't trade for Wayne Carey and kept pick 4 (soon to be pick 2)? Give us your thoughts.

Some of it might be pretty, some of it might not be, but that's the fun of it :p

The obvious one for me is "what if we chose Pavlich instead of McGregor?"

Surely we would have nabbed a premiership in either 2005 or 2006 with him in our forward line.
We also likely keep pick 4/2 in 2002 (as we don't need Carey) and take Wells.

Definitely something that could have worked out for the better

Not trading Tippett to Brisbane.

Could have netted us Toby Green, Patrick Cripps and more.

How stupid were the entire club on that one, knowing you had done a dodge, and not just taken what ever you could get I would have taken Sydney first offer aswell if I had known I had done a dodgy deal and the risks associated if they were caught

Not trading Tippett to Brisbane.

Could have netted us Toby Green, Patrick Cripps and more.
Trigg overruling Noble on the agreed trade, knowing about the illegal clause was the dumbest decision in the history of AFC.

I can't remember if the exact agreed deal was known out in the open or not. The Sydney offer was, of course.
The year before there was agreement to trade Tippett to the Lions & Trigg canned the deal.

Incompetence of the highest order.

Who would we have taken at pick 8? What were the options that year ?

2011 draft yeah?

Edit - wasn't a great top 20 but solid

Would have ended up with one of Greene Adams Tomlinson D Smith or Ellis I think . Which one would we have taken ?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would we have taken at pick 8? What were the options that year ?

2011 draft yeah?

Edit - wasn't a great top 20 but solid

Would have ended up with one of Greene Adams Tomlinson D Smith or Ellis I think . Which one would we have taken ?
Longer was #8, but yes I reckon we would have probably have taken one of the mid/forwards you mentioned.

Just guessing but I got a feeling we might have taken Brandon Ellis for some reason

And what about 2nd round ?

Seb Ross might have been there but not sure we were into him

Some duds in 20s too
Probably Murdoch or Neale.

Polec and their first rounder which from memory was pick 8.

Sydney deal was never going to pass by the AFL's integrity unit. Ken Wood was already raising his eyebrows on the rumoured Jesse White and pick 23.
And yet they have okayed some bizarre trades since. Didn't Rhys Palmer go for 150?

Pick 23 was Sydney's first pick, how exactly did the AFL expect us to get more?

And yet they have okayed some bizarre trades since. Didn't Rhys Palmer go for 150?

Pick 23 was Sydney's first pick, how exactly did the AFL expect us to get more?

Trades don't have to be equal though, Ken Wood's there to ensure there's nothing suss behind the deals, ie secret hand shake deals. There's nothing suss about the Palmer deal, GWS didn't want him, needed to clear space on their list and were probably going to delist him, they just assisted him in getting a fresh start elsewhere.

There were rumours a plenty that we'd signed a deal with Tippett to trade him for a second rounder, not to mention possible side deals on sponsor money. They were always going to run a fine tooth comb over that deal and a pick in the 20's plus a player who wasn't far off the scrap heap looked a little suss.

Issue is sydney didn't have any better picks and weren't willing to give up a quality young player to make the deal look remotely fair. Had Tippett chosen Brisbane or Gold Coast, they probably would have had the picks to make the deal look half reasonable and it might have gone through.

The big kicker though was not trading him a year earlier, especially give there was already talk of dodgy deals and the fact that it was pretty obvious he wasn't staying beyond the next year. Instead Trigg continued to bury his head in the sand and the board continued to trust him implicitly.

Polec and their first rounder which from memory was pick 8.

Sydney deal was never going to pass by the AFL's integrity unit. Ken Wood was already raising his eyebrows on the rumoured Jesse White and pick 23.
Wow, imagine if we'd got, say, a Taylor Adams and a Polec that year (as well as keeping our firsts in the following years). We could have added Adams, Polec and Cripps to our midfield :(

The year before there was agreement to trade Tippett to the Lions & Trigg canned the deal.

Incompetence of the highest order.

Wow. I'd never heard that aspect of it. Do you have a link please?

Had the Tippet deal gone through smoothly and our cheating had never been uncovered Trigg would probably still be CEO.

Roo may never have felt the need to join the board.

Sando could still be coach.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Didn't Carlton poach Trigg (for some really weird reason)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back