4. Ed Norton
5. Tom Hanks

Actors you associate with bad movies
1. Nicholas Cage
2. Mark Whalberg
3. Ashton Kutcher
4. Vin Diesel
5. Sylvester Stallone

Honorable Mentions: Adam Sandler, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Bruce Willis (after the good Die Hards), John Travolta (in recent years), Matthew McConaughey (in his early career), Robin Williams (later in his career), Eddie Murphy (post 2000), Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, Russell Brand, Robert Pattinson, Will Smith, Hayden Christensen

Last edited:
Sure he has had some flops, but if you rate the likes of Ashton Kutcher ahead of him, I just don't know what to say...
Kane i find it hard to rate comedians as actors ......mostly they're just being themselves .....exception being Jim Carrey

The other guy that started out making great movies, but i've dropped off him since the Da Vinci Code in 2006 ......everything b4 that date i enjoyed, not so much his movies after

Kane i find it hard to rate comedians as actors ......mostly they're just being themselves .....exception being Jim Carrey

The other guy that started out making great movies, but i've dropped off him since the Da Vinci Code in 2006 ......everything b4 that date i enjoyed, not so much his movies after
How do you rate Robin Williams? Imo, he could do great comedy, but his best work was arguably in serious roles.

Colin Firth is another quality actor I would have in a current top-5.

How do you rate Robin Williams? Imo, he could do great comedy, but his best work was arguably in serious roles.

Colin Firth is another quality actor I would have in a current top-5.
I think most actors if they're going to survive in the business normally have 1-2 good movies .....i was talking consistently good or bad movies

Robin Williams was take him or leave him actor ......loved him in Insomnia

The other consistent failure in recent years has been Jack Black .....fine as a sidekick, but his attempts to be the main man has resulted in disaster movies

I think most actors if they're going to survive in the business normally have 1-2 good movies .....i was talking consistently good or bad movies

Robin Williams was take him or leave him actor ......loved him in Insomnia

The other consistent failure in recent years has been Jack Black .....fine as a sidekick, but his attempts to be the main man has resulted in disaster movies

I'd honestly have Robin Williams in the 'consistently bad' category post 2000. Similar to a number of 80s/90s comedians who became utter s**t in the same period (Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler come to mind)

I'd honestly have Robin Williams in the 'consistently bad' category post 2000. Similar to a number of 80s/90s comedians who became utter s**t in the same period (Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler come to mind)
Yes seems that actors have periods of success and then putrid-ness ......definitely would have Sandler and Murphy in that category

More than half of Robin Williams' comedic films were putrid
Not going to disagree he had some misses, but he had some absolute gems too & showed he was more than a comedy actor, which was the post I was responding too.

Yes seems that actors have periods of success and then putrid-ness ......definitely would have Sandler and Murphy in that category
Problem with these actors is they have no diversity... it's more of the same, which becomes boring. Same goes for the likes of Hugh Grant.

Not going to disagree he had some misses, but he had some absolute gems too & showed he was more than a comedy actor, which was the post I was responding too.

Agreed he is a solid non-comedic actor. Clearly his best works were serious roles. I don't rate his comedy films whatsoever and some of them are the worst films I've ever seen

Problem with these actors is they have no diversity... it's more of the same, which becomes boring. Same goes for the likes of Hugh Grant.
Tom Hanks seems to have been the most successful comedian to transition to drama ....Carrey tried, but missed the boat ......Hugh Grant has lost his looks for Rom_Coms and tried to transition to drama a few times with the same success as Meg Ryan

I agree though a lot of the top comedians end up just trotting out more of the same .....except worse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Afflek has a redeeming movie, it's probably "Gone Girl" ......Argo wasn't my cup pf tea, nor was "The Town" .......he's just a bad cardboard actor
Gone Girl is one of my fave movies of the last 10 years. I thought it was brilliant. Really wish I could watch it again without knowing a thing about it.

All of Ashton Kutcher's movie are rated Rotten according to Rotten Tomatoes.
Yes, but personally i love "What Happens in Vegas" ......i'm a ham for bad comedies

In fact most comedies don't rate well by critics, because comedy is such an individual thing

Need to ask this, and i hope there's a technical person who can answer this

I am watching a lot of Chinese movies, and i find their color richness and contrast is just so superior to American Movies that lack warmth, accurate skin tones, and contrast ......anyone have a possible explanation please

Actors that you associate with good movies
1. Jeff Bridges
2. Daniel Day-Lewis
3. Leonardo DiCaprio
4. Sean Penn
5. Woody Harrelsom

1. Gerard Butler
2. Adam Sandler (& any of his crew)
3. Ashton Kutcher
4. Cameron Diaz
5. Robert De Niro (post-Heat)
That's s good list of actors with a high success with good movies

Agreed he is a solid non-comedic actor. Clearly his best works were serious roles. I don't rate his comedy films whatsoever and some of them are the worst films I've ever seen
Good Morning Vietnam!

But more than a comedy.

Yes, but personally i love "What Happens in Vegas" ......i'm a ham for bad comedies

In fact most comedies don't rate well by critics, because comedy is such an individual thing
I find Ashton dull with a lack of any personality.

Actors that you associate with good movies
1. Jack Nicholson
2. Marlon Brando
3. Al Pacino
4. Dustin Hoffman
5. Jeff Bridges
(could list so many more)

1. Adam Sandler
2. Will Smith
3. Megan Fox
4. Hayden Christensen
5. Ashton Kutcher
6. Johnny Depp

Gone Girl is one of my fave movies of the last 10 years. I thought it was brilliant. Really wish I could watch it again without knowing a thing about it.

Was great up til when she got home from the hospital - after that - totally unbelievable.

Just watched Crash again for about the 20th time and still cried (I don't cry very often at all in movies ) when the little girl gets "shot".
Fantastic movie. Great cast - intelligent script.

As for actors you hate - cannot stand Tom Cruise but he makes ****ing good action films. Love the Reacher and Mission Impossible ones!

Anything with Matt Damon I'll watch repeatedly. The Departed included even though he's a thorough campaigner in that!

Was great up til when she got home from the hospital - after that - totally unbelievable.

Just watched Crash again for about the 20th time and still cried (I don't cry very often at all in movies ) when the little girl gets "shot".
Fantastic movie. Great cast - intelligent script.

As for actors you hate - cannot stand Tom Cruise but he makes ****ing good action films. Love the Reacher and Mission Impossible ones!
Cruise is just weird, with the influence of the Scientologists.

My brother was meant to have a honeymoon dinner in the Eiffel Tower & booked months in advance... for it to be cancelled at the last minute, because Tom wanted it to himself, with Katie.

short memories, Tom Cruise has been in plenty of great movies - Risky Business, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, The Firm, Jerry Maguire, Magnolia, Mission Impossible II, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, Edge of Tomorrow... that's without mentioning the more questionable ones like Top Gun, Days of Thunder or Eyes Wide Shut...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back